Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Albert Weatherill is a lawyer in our financial services group in London. Albert has particular experience of advising banks, investment managers, retail and institutional brokers, US broker-dealers, private equity firms, commodity traders, market makers and high-frequency traders, exchanges, payment and electronic money institutions, and payment infrastructure providers on a range of UK and EU regulatory regimes, including MiFID II, AIFMD, CRD IV and CRR, UCITS, EMIR, PSD II and the Electronic Money Directive, MAR, and the provisions of the FCA and PRA Handbooks.
Albert regularly advises on M&A, private and public capital markets transactions, and restructurings involving financial institutions and other regulated entities. He has particular knowledge of advising private equity firms on complex multi-jurisdictional transactions in the financial services sector.
Albert's practice also focuses on the development and regulation of innovative financial services and products, particularly across mobile and digital platforms. This includes payments, cryptocurrency and initial coin offerings, robo-advice, RegTech and blockchain and distributed ledger technology.
Albert authored the UK chapter of Global Legal Insight's Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Regulation 2019, is a member of the Tech London Advocates Blockchain Legal and Regulatory Working Group, and regularly contributes to publications relating to FinTech matters.
Albert leads our Global Payments Practice Group and is a member of the firm's FinTech service group.
Prior to qualification, Albert was seconded to the trade association of the UK payments industry, gaining experience of working closely with the UK's payment systems, banks and payment infrastructure providers.
- Legal Practice Course (Distinction), BPP Law School, 2013
- Graduate Diploma in Law (Distinction), BPP Law School, 2012
- B.A. (Hons) University of Nottingham, 2011
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Advising clients on perimeter issues, compliance with FCA Rules and the implementation of European legislation
- Advising clients on various conduct of business and governance arrangements
- Assisting clients with regulatory filings to the FCA and international regulators
- Advising clients on their interaction with regulatory authorities, including assisting clients in responding to regulatory queries, requests for information and their regulatory reporting
- Advising clients on the application of the FCA's Client Assets Sourcebook, including title transfer collateral arrangements, primary and secondary pooling events, segregation of client money, client mandates, outsourcing and delegation, and resolution packs.
Markets and market infrastructure
- Advising a large institutional broker on its MiFID II project and assisting with its variation of permission and systematic internaliser notifications to the FCA
- Advising a market-leading retail broker on its MiFID II project, including best execution, client disclosures and reporting, inducements and conflicts of interest, the systematic internaliser regime, changes to the client money and client assets framework, transaction reporting and transparency, governance, and third country provisions
- Advising a number of institutional brokers on the FCA's payment for order flow rules
- Advising a consortium of institutional brokers on the application of the systematic internaliser regime
- Advising a market-leading broker on the establishment of a multilateral trading facility
- Assisting a retail CFD and spread betting broker on amendments to its terms of business and customer documentation
- Advising a global market maker on the application of MiFID II, particularly for third country issues, direct electronic access and high-frequency algorithmic trading
- Advising an international bank on amendments to its customer documentation in light of MiFID II
- Advising a number of brokers on the application and scope of the direct electronic access provisions under MiFID II
- Advising a consortium of institutional brokers on the procedure to become organised trading facilities under MiFID II
- Advising a global private equity firm on its wall crossing and information barrier procedures under the Market Abuse Regulation
- Advising an institutional broker on its transaction monitoring and suspicious transaction reporting framework.
- Advising the Web 3.0 Technologies Foundation on its US$150m initial coin offering to fund the development of the Polkadot protocol
- Advising Northern Trust on its commercial partnership with IBM to deploy the first blockchain use case in the private equity industry
- Advising the Post-Trade Distributed Ledger group on legal and regulatory matters
- Advising a leading supplier of market data and technology to the investment banking industry on regulatory matters
- Advising a UK-based start-up on the deployment of a gold-backed payment instrument
- Advising a US-based start-up on the tokenisation of gold and the development of a point-of-sale payment card
- Advising a retail broker on the regulatory status of derivatives with virtual currencies as the underlying asset class
- Advising Lendingblock, a cryptocurrency lending platform, on regulatory matters
- Advising Revolut, a leading digital banking and payments firm, on regulatory matters
- Advising Starling Bank, a digital banking provider, on regulatory and corporate matters.
- Advising Virtu Financial on its US$1.4bn acquisition of Knight Capital
- Advising KKR on its A$660m acquisition of Pepper Group
- Advising KKR on the strategic combination between KKR Prisma and PAAMCO
- Advising KKR on its acquisition of a minority stake in Focus Financial Partners
- Advising KKR on various transactions conducted by its portfolio companies
- Advising KKR on its global reorganisation and conversion of its NYSE-listed partnership vehicle to a corporation
- Advising KKR on its majority investment in car finance platform Oodle
- Advising Advent International and Bain Capital on regulatory filings connected to their recent sell down in Worldpay Plc
- Advising Barclays Bank on the sale of a stake in its African business
- Advising AnaCap Financial Partners on various transactions
- Advising Technology Crossover Ventures on its acquisition of Retail Merchant Services.
- Advising a UK investment manager on its MiFID II implementation project
- Advising a Canadian infrastructure fund on marketing and reporting requirements under the AIFMD across the EU
- Advising a UK investment firm on its variation of permission to become an AIFM, including drafting its underlying policies as required by the AIFMD and FUND
- Advising a UK manager of an LSE-listed REIT on regulatory matters
- Advising a UK investment manager on AIFMD matters
- Advising a US UCITS management company on the provisions of the UCITS and AIFMD remuneration rules
- Advising a US private equity firm on marketing and reporting under the AIFMD.
- Advising ABN Amro on the application of PSD II and the changes to its customer documentation
- Advising Bank of Toyko-Mitsubishi on the application of PSD II and changes to its customer documentation
- Advising two leading Irish banks on the application of PSD II and changes to their customer documentation
- Advising a transport operator on payment services matters and contractual arrangements with payment service providers
- Advising the New Payment System Operator on the consolidation of the Bacs, Faster Payments and Cheque and Credit payment schemes
- Advising Royal Bank of Canada on the application of PSD II and the changes to its customer documentation
- Advising The Northern Trust Company on the application of PSD II to its custody accounts.
Event | September 23, 2019
Publication | July 03, 2019
Publication | June 26, 2019
Publication | October 2018