Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Helen Sims is a regulatory, investigations and litigation lawyer based in Sydney.
She has particular experience in administrative law and for over 12 years has acted on behalf of government clients in New South Wales, Victoria and New Zealand in judicial and merits review proceedings and in inquiries, including Royal Commissions, statutory inquiries, probity and corruption investigations and coronial inquests. She has recently expanded her practice to include advice and representation to Commonwealth regulators and regulated entities facing investigations and enforcement proceedings. She has particular experience in Commonwealth and State licensing regimes and compliance decisions made under those regimes.
Helen has represented government clients at first instance and appellate tribunals and courts, including as solicitor advocate. She also has a keen interest in alternative dispute resolution and has successfully mediated a wide range of contentious matters. She has acted for clients in the law enforcement, health, primary industries, energy, natural resources, education and entertainment sectors.
Helen also has significant experience acting for government clients in relation to reviews of government information, privacy and data breach matters.
Helen's previous experience includes acting for regulators in professional disciplinary matters, advising State government in relation to tortious liability, undertaking law reform projects and advising on governance measures.
Helen's experience as both an in-house and external solicitor means she is able to provide advice and representation that is strategic, persuasive and useful to both legal and non-legal clients.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- BA (Hons) LLB (Hons), Victoria University of Wellington (2008)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand 2008
- Supreme Court of New South Wales 2013
- High Court of Australia 2019
- Statutory inquiry - Part of a team of solicitors assisting a statutory inquiry, with particular responsibility for management of local and international expert and lay witnesses.
- Royal Commissions - Advice and representation of government clients at several Royal Commissions. Helen has also advised Commissioners on the exercise of powers and best practice inquisitorial procedure.
- Regulated entity - Advising a regulated entity in relation to a compliance notice issued under a Commonwealth regulatory scheme.
- Major NSW Government Departments - Appearing as solicitor advocate in government information and privacy proceedings.
- Appearing on behalf of the NSW Department of Education, the Point to Point Transport Commissioner (NSW), the Independent Liquor and Gaming Authority and the Business Licensing Authority (Vic) in challenges to licensing and registration decisions.
- Statutory Authority - Acting in relation to expedited merits and judicial review proceedings arising out of alleged non-compliance with a permit issued by the APVMA.
- Advice and representation in relation to disciplinary proceedings against regulated professions, including health, real estate and second-hand dealers.
- Major Government Department (NZ) - Advice and representation at a two-week hearing in a Coronial inquest.
Senate Inquiry into the adequacy and efficacy of Australia's AML-CTF regime
Publication | July 07, 2021
Preparing for international sanctions
Publication | April 13, 2021