Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright US Consultores em Direito Estrangeiro
Norton Rose Fulbright US Consultores em Direito Estrangeiro
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Silvia Fazio is a partner in the firm´s São Paulo office and head of the firm´s Brazil Desk in our London office. Ms Fazio specializes in cross-border investments with a focus on mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, financings, restructuring and international tax planning. She brings almost 20 years of cross-border corporate and finance experience to the firm, acting regularly for major Brazilian corporations. She represents financial institutions, public and private companies, private equity funds and family offices in a broad range of corporate transactions.
She has published extensively on harmonization of corporate and finance standards. She recently ideated and edited a book on investments in Brazil "Brazilian Commercial Law: A Practical Guide", (2013), (2015, second ed.)Wolters Kluwer. Written by thirty seven leading Brazilian practitioners, the book is the first of its kind in English language. Silvia co-authored the chapter on Private Equity, Venture Capital and Investment Funds in Brazil. Ms. Fazio has been recognized as a leading lawyer in several industry publications, including Chambers Global and Legal 500. Chambers wrote, "Silvia Fazio plays a central role in international work….advising on an array of cross-border transactions. She is admitted to practice in Brazil and attracts mandates from leading clients such as Banco do Brazil and TAM Brazilian Airlines." Prior to joining us, Ms. Fazio was a partner at a UK law firm where as head of International (Legal), she established its Brazilian and Italian desks.
Ms Fazio is founder and chairperson of leading non-profit organization Women in Leadership in Latin America (WILL).
Ph.D, International Corporate and Financial Law, Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, University of London, 2006
Master's in European Union Law and Conflicts Law, University of Bologna, Italy, 1998
LLM, first class honors, University of Heidelberg, Germany, 1996
LLB, first class honors, University of São Paulo, Brazil, 1994
- Milan Bar
- Portuguese Bar
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Advised Banco do Brasil S.A. in relation to a US$ 75 Million export finance guarantee and counterguarantee regarding export of producs and services of Avibras Industria Aerospacial S.A. to The Government of the Republic of Indonesia
- Advised BB Securities Ltd on the review of a US$45 million custody agreement and drafting of indemnity agreement for transfer of custody of Notes held for IRB – Brasil Resseguros S.A
- Advised Banco do Brasil S.A., London Branch in its capacity of account bank in relation to a proposed US$ 150 million note programme to finance Asgaard Navegação S/A, a Brazilian navigation company.
- Advised BB Securities Ltd ("BB Securities"), a UK subsidiary of Banco do Brasil S.A. on an agreement and general terms for sharing US$100 million collateral between BB Securities and Banco do Brasil S.A. (Grand Cayman branch) in relation to a collateral agreement signed between Euroclear Bank SA/NV (formerly Morgan Guaranty Trust Company of New York) and Banco do Brasil S.A. (Grand Cayman branch).
- Represented Banco do Brasil S.A. Grand Cayman (as the borrower) in relation to a R$500 million bilateral facility provided by Goldman Sachs Bank USA (as lender, sole arranger and administrative agent) and Goldman Sachs do Brasil Banco Multiplo S.A., as collateral agent.
- Advised Banco do Brasil S.A. in respect of the acquisition of a secondary facility agreement valued at USD750 million in favor of a leading Brazilian mobile telecom company.
- Advised Banco do Brasil S.A. in respect of the acquisition of a secondary facility agreement valued at USD140 million in favor of a leading Indian steel manufacturer.
- Advised Banco do Brasil, London branch in connection with the purchase of debt in the secondary market under two Term and Revolving Facilities Agreements for US$1,2 billion and US$875 million respectively, where the borrowers were Trafigura Beheer B.V. and Trafigura Pte Ltd.
- Advised Banco do Brasil, London branch in connection with the purchase of debt in the secondary market under a Term and Revolving Facilities Agreement up to EUR2,3 billion where the borrower was PPF Arena 2 B.V.
- Advised Brazilian Development Bank ('BNDES") on and investment of £50 million year floating rate Credit-Linked Notes (linked to Vale S.A.), issued by Goldman Sachs
- Advised a major Eastern European steel manufacturer in a €50 million financing arrangement with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD).
- Advised TAM S.A. on all commercial agreements with suppliers at London Heathrow Airport; and advised on intra-group credit facility agreements.
- Advised Italian fashion Etro SpA on the financing facility arrangements in the UK for a project that involved a significant expansion of its activities in the UK; the value of this transaction was in excess of £30 million.
- Advised on tailor-made, sophisticated multi-jurisdictional tax-efficient structures for high net worth Latin American leading Family Offices involving multi-jurisdictional vehicles; all portfolios worked on ranged from US$100 million to in excess of US$1 billion.
- Advised a major Austrian multinational on a series of commercial agreements related to US$100 million joint feasibility study alongside design and development work with an English company;
- Advised English brewery Fuller, Smith & Turner P.L.C. on up to of £60 million loan agreements to finance property acquisitions in the UK;
- Advised a leading UK storage company on a series of credit card facility arrangements to finance expansion of their activities and acquisition of new premises in the UK; the estimated value of this project was £40 million.
- Chambers Latin America, Brazil: Banking and Finance, Chambers & Partners, 2017-2019
- Chambers Global, Leading expert for Corporate/M&A - Publication commented, "She is praised for providing a key to the Brazilian Market," Chambers & Partners, 2012-2018
- One of the "Top 100 Female Lawyers in Latin America," Latinvex, 2016 - 2018
- Leading lawyer, Citywealth Leaders List, 2011 and 2012
- Law Society's Excellence Award for International Legal Services, 2011
- Recommended Lawyer, International Firms, The Legal 500 Latin America - Banking and Finance, The Legal 500, 2007-2019. The publication commented: "Silvia Fazio merits praise for her international corporate insight".
Ms. Fazio, in addition to writing and contributing to a number of publications, has also recently edited a major new publication with contributions from all of the leading Brazilian law firms.
- Editor, "Brazilian Commercial Law- A Practical Guide," Kluwer Law International, 2013
- "Corporate Governance Standards in Brazil: Is the Country Winning the Confidence of International Investors?," Corporate Practice NewsWire, April 2013
- "International Issues for Brazilian Clients," Westlaw, P.B.C.,178-180 pp., 2012
- "Public procurement in Brazil: the next best thing?," Newsletter of the International Bar Association Legal Practice Division No. 29, June 2012
- "Corporate Governance, Accountability and Emerging Economies," The Company Lawyer, Vol. 29, No.4, Sweet & Maxwell, 2008
- "The Harmonization of International Commercial Law," Kluwer Law International, January 2007
- "International Commercial Agreements in the EU and Mercosul," LTR, 1998
- "Road to Riches: Banking Services for Women," The Banker, June 2014
- “Latin America: The Challenges for Female Lawyers,” Latinvex, July 2014
- “Top Female Lawyers: Q&A On Challenges,” Latinvex, July 2014
- "Women and Corporate Equality Strategies," Consejo Empresarial de America Latina, São Paulo, Brazil, July 31, 2014
- "Wealth Protection Roundtable – Tax, Trust and Estate Planning: How can intermediaries in the legal, accounting and trust and estate planning world most effectively protect and preserve private wealth in Brazil?”," Private Wealth Brazil Forum, São Paulo - SP, Brazil, May 13, 2014
- "WILL Brazil Launch," São Paulo, Brazil, April 10, 2014
- "Corporate Matters: Getting the Deal Done - Understanding Your Commercial Partner," HKIAC in the Americas - Series 2: Demystifying Asia: Making Deals and Managing Risks, São Paulo, Brazil, June 21, 2013
- "Global Asset Management Strategies," Brazil Private Wealth Forum 2013, São Paulo, Brazil, São Paulo, Brazil, June 11, 2013
- "Brazilian Commercial Law: A Practical Guide Launch Tour in São Paulo," São Paulo, Brazil, March 11, 2013
- "Brazilian Commercial Law: A Practical Guide Launch Tour in New York," New York, NY, March 7, 2013
- "Brazilian Commercial Law: A Practical Guide Launch Tour in London," London, UK, March 5, 2013
- "Corporate Governance in Brazil," 22nd Cambridge Symposium on Economic Crime, Cambridge, England, September 2007
- TEP Member, Society of Trust and Real Estate Practitioners (STEP)
- Member, Board of the Italian Chamber of Commerce in the UK
- Member, Legal Committee of the Brazilian Chamber of Commerce in the UK
- Society of Advanced Legal Studies International Bar Association
- British Institute of International and Comparative Law