Olivier F. Kott, Ad E
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Olivier F. Kott, Ad EvCard
Related services and key industries
Olivier Kott has over 39 years’ experience in the prevention, management and resolution of complex business disputes with a particular focus on construction law, product liability, insurance and lotteries.
He has extensive civil trial and appellate experience, including successfully pleading two landmark cases before the Supreme Court of Canada.
Clients of the firm benefit from Mr. Kott's vast experience in drafting and negotiating construction contracts for large national and international projects.
He also acts as an arbitrator and mediator. He taught construction law at Université de Montréal for 18 years and regularly publishes articles and gives presentations to business executives and lawyers on construction law, civil law, alternative dispute resolution methods and contract drafting. He directed and co-authored the publication of a 900-page book on construction law entitled La Construction au Québec: Perspectives juridiques.
LL.L., Université de Montréal, 1976
The Chartered Institute of Arbitrators Fast Track Assessment Workshop 2003
Harvard Law School Mediation Workshop 2005
- Quebec 1977
Mr. Kott has acted in the following matters:
- Advised numerous clients on drafting and interpreting call for tender documents
- Assisted the private partner in completing a P3 project for the design and construction of a hospital facility
- Assisted the designer/builder in carrying out a design-build-finance project for a train maintenance centre
- Reviewed all the construction contracts and subcontracts for a large construction contractor
- Represented an engineering firm in a claim arising from the loss of a causeway during the construction of port facilities
- Represented a pulp and paper company in a claim for almost $40 million for latent defects in a piece of machinery. Final judgment by the Supreme Court in this matter (ABB Inc. v Domtar Inc., 2007 SCC 50)
- Drafted and negotiated a design-build contract for a data processing centre
- Drafted and negotiated call for tenders documents, and design and construction documents for the reconstruction of a construction materials plant after a fire
- Assisted a pulp and paper company in a major upgrade of its facilities and management of claims arising from the work
- Advised a professional firm in connection with the construction of the subway in Laval
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - Construction 2017, 2020
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Construction Law; Litigation - Product Liability
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2021: most frequently recommended in the area of Construction Law
- Lexpert/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada, 2020: most frequently recommended in the area of Construction Law
- Awarded the Advocatus Emeritus distinction by the Barreau du Québec
- Acritas Stars 2019-2020 - Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2018 - Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 4,300 clients
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Construction law "Lawyer of the Year", 2011, 2016 and 2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Alternative dispute resolution "Lawyer of the Year", 2013
- Best lawyers in Canada: Alternative dispute resolution, appellate practice, construction law, corporate and commercial litigation, director and officer liability practice, personal injury litigation, product liability law, 2006-2021
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Construction (Senior Statesperson), Chambers and Partners, 2021
- Chambers Global: Canada, 2014-2015: Construction
- Benchmark Canada, 2017: recognized as a local litigation star in Quebec; Litigation star in Canada in Product Liability and Arbitration
- Canadian Who’s Who
- Awarded Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory’s highest professional rating
- “La réforme du Code de procédure civile et son impact sur les litiges en construction,” Advanced conference on claims and litigation in the construction industry, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, May 10, 2016.
- “Les 10 leçons à tirer des 10 jugements clés des 10 dernières années,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, November 24, 2015.
- “Risques et réclamations dans le cadre d’un projet P3 : mythes et réalités,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 21‑22, 2015.
- “Les appels d’offres à la lumière des nouvelles règles d’intégrité en matière de contrats publics,” Young Bar Association of Montreal, Montreal, April 30, 2014.
- “Leçons à tirer de la décision de la Cour d’appel du Québec dans l’affaire Ville de Pincourt c. Construction Cogerex Ltée et al.,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 2, 2014.
- “Conseils pratiques pour la gestion d’un procès de longue durée,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 23, 2013.
- “L’arbitrage: toujours la meilleure solution pour résoudre les litiges dans le domaine de la construction?” 4th Construction Forum, Insight Conference, Montreal, October 1‑2, 2012.
- “Leçons à tirer de la jurisprudence récente concernant la responsabilité des propriétaires, des entrepreneurs et des sous‑traitants,” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, April 12, 2011.
- “Troubles de voisinage – Votre responsabilité peut être engagée indépendamment de votre faute – apprenez comment minimiser les risques!” (co-presenter M. Glockseisen), Construction Superconference, The Canadian Institute, Montreal, November 16, 2010.
- “Les vices sont-ils assurables?” The Canadian Institute, Montreal, June 9, 2010.
Canadian Bar Association
- Systems of Civil Justice Task Force (1995-1996)
- Council, Quebec Branch (1993-1996)
- Chairman and founding member, Construction Law Section, Quebec Branch (1988-1993)
- Bar of Montreal
- Liaison Committee between the Quebec Court of Appeal and the Bar of Montreal (1989-1993)
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers
- Quebec Province Committee, Chair (2015-2017)
- Canadian College of Construction Lawyers
- Founding member
- President (2016-2017)
- Fondation du Barreau (1992-1993)
- Executive Committee
- Board of Directors
- Fondation Lafontaine-Cormier
- Treasurer (2016-2017)