Senior partner, Lawyer, Trademark Agent
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Passionate about innovation, Judith Robinson's practice centers on IP litigation, dispute avoidance / resolution / risk mitigation and related strategies. She has been particularly active in the pharmaceutical and aerospace sectors. Judith has a wide experience before the courts, including for cross-border patent trials and damages assessments as well as the judicial review of administrative decisions relating to IP. She was also appellate counsel in a statutory appeal in telecommunications that raised significant issues of copyright. Judith has been active in litigation under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations since the introduction of this regime in 1993, and she has appeared in leading cases pertaining to data protection. She is also proud of the settlements that she has facilitated to the satisfaction of the firm's clients.
In mid-2019, Judith stepped down as the practice group leader of the IP practice of Norton Rose Fulbright Canada after more than five years on the national management committee of the firm. This will allow her more time to focus on the fast-moving world of innovation, including in the area of artificial intelligence.
- LL.B./B.C.L., McGill University, 1990
- B.A., Psychology - Neuropsychology and Neurophysiology, McGill University, 1985
- Quebec 1991
- Canada (trademarks) 1992
- Bell Helicopter Textron Canada Limited
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours and Company
- GlaxoSmithKline Inc.
- Merck Canada Inc.
- Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.
- Pfizer Canada Inc.
- Pfizer Inc.
- Sanofi-aventis Canada Inc.
- Servier Canada Inc.
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Biotechnology law, intellectual property law, 2006-2021
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Intellectual property "Lawyer of the Year", 2018
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Biotechnology "Lawyer of the Year", 2014
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Intellectual Property - Litigation (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Biotechnology; Intellectual Property; Litigation – Intellectual Property
- Acritas Stars, 2020: Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Expert Guides 2017: Women in Business Law
- Who's Who Legal: Life Sciences 2017
- Benchmark Canada (2017): Litigation Star
- IP Stars : Top 250 Women in IP, 2017
- Chambers Global, Canada: Intellectual Property - Litigation, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- The Legal 500 Canada: Intellectual Property (Leading Lawyer), 2020
- IAM Patent 1000: Litigation (2017)
- Canada's Most Powerful Women: Top 100 (2015)
Ms. Robinson is regularly asked to give presentations on intellectual property law, including the following:
- “Innovation: The Importance of Intellectual Property Protection,” The International Economic Forum of the Americas, Conference of Montreal, Montreal, June 12, 2013.
- “L’éthique dans la pratique du droit,” Les femmes en droit - La pratique du droit dans le contexte actuel, Montreal, December 2, 2011.
- “From Hair Tonic to Medicines and Beyond: A View of the Federal Courts and Intellectual Property,” Federal Courts Education Seminar, Ottawa, October 27-28, 2011.
- “Utility, Sound Prediction and Selection Patents - Clarifying Canadian standards and their impact on patent drafting, prosecution and litigation,” 9th Annual Forum on Pharma Patents, The Canadian Institute, Toronto, November 5, 2010.
- “Conflagration of Sufficiency of Disclosure and Utility,” IPIC 84th Annual Meeting, Fairmont Le Château Frontenac, Quebec City, October 15, 2010.
- “Interaction avec la Loi sur la concurrence; détermination de l’invention; la prédiction valable,” Quebec Bar Continuing Education, Hôtel InterContinental, Montreal, November 13, 2009.
- “Best Practices at Trial,” Federal Court Annual Seminar, Montreal, October 7, 2009.
- “2009 Advocacy before the Federal Court in Intellectual Property Matters CLE - To Appeal or Not To Appeal,” Hilton Lac-Leamy, Gatineau, QC, April 30, 2009.
- “Patent Infringement Cases - Trials and Tribulations,” Toronto Intellectual Property Group, King Edward Hotel, Toronto, November 5, 2008.
- “Patent Opinions and Litigation - Part 2: In the Thick of the Action,” IPIC 82nd Annual Meeting, Four Seasons Hotel, Toronto, October 16, 2008.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Fellow, Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- Intellectual Property Owners Association
Publication | August 24, 2020
Publication | July 30, 2020
Publication | November 2018