Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Sylvain Rigaud practises in commercial litigation, with a particular focus on restructuring, bankruptcy and insolvency, realization of bank guarantees, transnational litigation and real estate litigation. Mr. Rigaud has varied experience in these fields before civil courts at both the trial and appellate levels.
Mr. Rigaud is co-chair of our restructuring and insolvency team.
LL.M., London School of Economics and Political Science, 1991
LL.B., Common Law, Dalhousie University, 1989
LL.B., Civil Law, Université de Montréal, 1988
Certificate in common law, Dalhousie University, 1987
- Quebec 1990
Mr. Rigaud has acted as counsel to the following clients:
- Ernst & Young Inc. as monitor of White Birch Paper Holding Company and various of its affiliates with respect to proceedings under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) and parallel proceedings concerning certain other subsidiaries under the provisions of Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code
- Quebecor World Inc. (now World Color Press Inc.) in its successful emergence from creditor protection under the CCAA in Canada and, in respect of certain US subsidiaries, Chapter 11 of the United States Bankruptcy Code
- Mecachrome International in connection with its international joint plan of arrangement and reorganization under the CCAA, the Canadian Business Corporations Act and the Code de Commerce in France and Chapter 15 of the United States Bankruptcy Code
- RSM Richter Inc. as monitor in the successful restructuring of Qbiogène under the CCAA
- The syndicate of lenders in Attractions Hippiques’ and its affiliates’ application under the CCAA
- Hydro-Québec in the $615 million acquisition of a 60 per cent interest in the McCormick Hydroelectric Facility from Abitibi-Consolidated Company of Canada
- The Laurus Fund, secured creditor and interim lender to Pneutech Inc. and Thomas Equipment, in parallel proceedings under the CCAA in Quebec and the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act in Nova Scotia
- Jetsgo Corporation in its application under the CCAA
- Hyperchip Inc. in its reorganization under the Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
- Uniforêt Inc. and certain subsidiaries in their successful emergence from creditor protection under the CCAA
- Who's Who Legal: Canada - Restructuring & Insolvency 2020
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Corporate and commercial litigation, insolvency and financial restructuring law, 2008-2021
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2020: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring - Insolvency Litigation
- Chambers Global, Canada: Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers and Partners, 2008-2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers and Partners, 2016-2021
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2016: Litigation
- Benchmark Litigation Canada, 2018
- “Le nouveau séquestre de la partie XI : un nouveau régime parallèle de mise à exécution des garanties?” Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals, May 31, 2010.
- “Comment profiter des opportunités en contexte de récession (Turning Distress Markets to Your Advantage),” Young Presidents’ Organization, November 29, 2009.
- ”Bilan jurisprudentiel en insolvabilité et restructuration commerciale” (with Christian Roy), Association québécoise des professionnels de la réorganisation et de l’insolvabilité, November 25 and 27, 2009.
- “Les neuf décisions-clés de 2009,” Insolvability, Restructuring and Bankruptcy Conference, The Canadian Institute, October 28, 2009.
- “Le rôle du conseil en contexte d’insolvabilité d’entreprises,” The Institute of Corporate Directors (Quebec chapter), October 15, 2009.
- “Serpents et échelles : La réforme de la législation en matière d’insolvabilité sous l’angle des droits des prêteurs,” Les Sûretés, Sixth Annual Conference, Insight, April 7 and 8, 2008.
- “L’affaire Minco : anomalie, hostilité des tribunaux à l’égard des spéculateurs ou évolution de la théorie de la bonne foi dans un contexte d’insolvabilité?” Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch, November 14, 2007.
- “An Overview of the CCAA with Comparisons to the US Bankruptcy Code: A Canadian Perspective,” National Association of Credit Management Connecticut Inc., National Fine Paper Manufacturers Credit Group, September 13, 2007.
- “Réflexions sur l’arrêt TCT Logistics : impacts pratiques et questions en suspens,” Insight Information, Fifth Edition, April 23, 2007.
- “Discussions quant aux impacts de la décision de la Cour suprême du Canada dans l’affaire de TCT Logistics Inc.,” Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law Section, Canadian Bar Association, Quebec Branch, February 22, 2007.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Former Chair, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Section, Quebec Branch
- Quebec Bar
- Committee for Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Urban Development Institute of Quebec
- Insol International
- Turnaround Management Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
Publication | November 2020
Authority to bar a creditor from voting and litigation funding as interim financing: The Supreme Court of Canada’s ruling in Bluberi
Publication | October 2020
Publication | August 6, 2020
Publication | May 26, 2020