Related services and key industries
Tony Reyes has practised exclusively in corporate restructuring and insolvency since 1988. He and his group are well known for their business-oriented strategic advice, and provide both commercial support and litigation support.
Mr. Reyes has participated in numerous major Canadian and international restructurings and receiverships, in a broad range of industries, including oil and gas, mining, retail, auto parts manufacturing, shipbuilding, hospitality, real estate investment, construction, telecommunications, film, music recording/publishing and sports franchises. His mandates include both creditor-side and debtor-side work, as well as numerous mandates for statutory and court-appointed representatives (monitors, receivers and trustees) and acting for not-for-profit corporations.
He founded the Model Order Subcommittee for the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Commercial List, which develops model insolvency orders for use in Ontario. These model orders have been adopted by most jurisdictions in Canada. Mr. Reyes is certified by the Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario) as a specialist in bankruptcy and insolvency law. He has served as an examiner for the Superintendent of Bankruptcy and as the national editor of the Commercial Insolvency Reporter.
Mr. Reyes is co-chair of our Canadian insolvency and restructuring team.
J.D., University of Toronto, 1986
B.A., Carleton University, 1983
- Ontario 1988
Mr. Reyes has acted recently for the following clients:
- Pacific Exploration and Production Corporation, in its restructuring of $7.6 billion debt under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act (CCAA) and its emergence as a Canadian public company with vastly reduced debt obligations; organizing recognition proceedings in the United States and Colombia to implement the restructuring
- Gran Colombia Gold Corp., in its restructuring of its $200 million + debt under a corporate plan of arrangement (BC Business Corporation Act) and its emergence as a Canadian public company
- Nortel Networks, as Canadian counsel to the company in connection with its filing under the CCAA, the filing of its US subsidiaries under Chapter 11 of the US Bankruptcy Code, and the filing of other subsidiaries under administration in the UK pursuant to the Insolvency Act 1986
- Quebecor World Inc. (now World Color Press Inc.) in its successful emergence from creditor protection under the CCAA in Canada and, in respect of certain US subsidiaries, Chapter 11 of the US Bankruptcy Code
- Ravelston Corporation Limited, as counsel to the company and to Conrad Black in seeking protection under the CCAA and the appointment of a receiver
- Bank of America Canada (Canadian counsel), the senior and DIP lender in the multijurisdictional restructuring of Waterford Wedgwood plc
- Trustee of Song Corporation, then Canada's largest music producer, recorder and distribution network
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012-2019: recommended in Insolvency & Financial Restructuring
- Chambers Global, Canada: Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers and Partners, 2018
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Restructuring/Insolvency, Chambers and Partners, 2019
- International Financial Law Review 1000, Canada: Restructuring and Insolvency (Highly Regarded), 2019
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006-2017: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring
- The Legal 500 Canada, 2016: Corporate
- Who's Who Legal, Canada 2014-2016: Insolvency & Restructuring
- The International Who's Who of Insolvency & Restructuring Lawyers: 2011-2012
- PLC Which Lawyer? : 2011: Restructuring and Insolvency
- Insolvency Institute of Canada
- Ontario Superior Court of Justice, Commercial List
- Founder, Model Order Subcommittee
- Ontario Bar Association
- Insolvency Section
- Insol International
- Past national editor and Ontario editor of the Commercial Insolvency Reporter
- President, The Boulevard Club (a not-for-profit sports club with over 4,000 members), Toronto