Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Karen Jensen has represented clients in human rights, constitutional, administrative and employment/labour law matters for over 25 years. She acts for employers on a full range of labour and employment matters before all levels of court and tribunal. Ms. Jensen also acts for universities in academic appeals and human rights disputes before the tribunals and courts. Ms. Jensen provides advice to service providers and regulators regarding compliance with constitutional and international/domestic human rights requirements. She also conducts investigations and advises on allegations of sexual harassment, professional misconduct, breach of privacy and employee fraud, among others.
Ms. Jensen is an experienced litigator, and is fully trilingual (English, French and Spanish). She represents clients in both official languages before the courts and tribunals. Ms. Jensen is the national practice group leader, employment and labour, and the Ottawa chair of our employment and labour law practice.
Prior to joining our Ottawa office, Ms. Jensen was assistant dean of the Faculty of Law at the University of Ottawa, and taught dispute resolution. From 2005-2009, she was a full-time member of the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal where she adjudicated and mediated human rights disputes in both official languages.
- Ontario 1994
- Fellow, The College of Labor and Employment Lawyers (elected 2019)
- Best Lawyers: Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers, 2018
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019: recommended in Employment Law - Employer; Labour Relations - Management; 2018-2019: recommended in Workplace Human Rights - Employer
- Acritas Stars (2019): Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars, Global (2018): recognized as a Top 13 Female Acritas Star, Labour and Employment Law
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Employment & Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- Chambers Canada, Ontario: Employment & Labour, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- "Santé mentale en milieu de travail : Considérations importantes" presentation to the Law Practice Program at the Faculty of Law, Common Law Section, University of Ottawa.
- “Emerging Trends in Human Rights Remedies,” presentation at the 4th Annual Human Rights Summit of the Law Society of Upper Canada, Toronto, November 30, 2015.
- “Resolving Pay Equity Issues,” presentation/webinar at the seminar of the Ontario Bar Association, Ottawa, November 5, 2015.
- “The New Labour Trilogy and its Implications,” presentation at the annual conference of the Canada Industrial Relations Board, Ottawa, September 17, 2015.
- “Recent Developments in Labour Law,” presentation at the annual conference of the Human Resources Professionals Association, Ottawa, May 27, 2015.
- “Disentangling the Discipline from the Disease: Human Rights & Self Accommodation,” webinar for the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, January 28, 2015.
- “Top Ten Employment Decisions in 2013-2014,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association seminar, Ottawa, November 28, 2014.
- “International Human Rights Norms and Legal Obligations in Canada,” presentation at the annual conference of the Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers, Montreal, September 13, 2014.
- “The Impact of SCC Human Rights Decisions on Canadian Workplaces,” presentation at the Canadian Bar Association conference, Ottawa, June 27, 2014.
- "Developing Indigenous Dispute Resolution Processes for Human Rights and Other Disputes", paper presented at the Indigenous Bar Association (IBA) Annual Conference, September 29, 2011.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Human Resources Professionals Association
Publication | August 29, 2019
Amendments to the Canada Labour Code: Work-life balance provisions for employees in federally regulated workplaces coming into full force
Publication | August 29, 2019
Publication | August 28, 2019
Publication | December 2018