Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alex Schmitt is Of counsel in the restructuring group. He practises corporate and commercial law, with an emphasis on corporate restructurings and related transactions.
Alex's experience includes complex restructurings, recapitalizations, acquisitions and financing transactions completed in connection with proceedings under the CCAA, BIA and various corporate statutes, as well as the enforcement of debtor and creditor rights thereunder. He has represented key stakeholders - including debtor corporations, bondholders, court officers, lenders, purchasers and plan sponsors - in a range of matters.
Alex attended law school at Osgoode Hall where he was a senior editor of the Osgoode Hall Law Journal and was the recipient of two academic prizes for work on climate change law. Prior to joining us, Mr. Schmitt most recently served as a legal analyst at Legal Aid of Cambodia, working on issues of illegal land grabbing and natural resources policy.
- Ontario 2013
Clients for whom Mr. Schmitt has acted include :
- FTI Consulting Canada Inc. in its capacity as court-appointed monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Sears Canada Inc. and its affiliates
- Pacific Exploration and Production Corp. (now Frontera Energy Corporation), in connection with its US$5.5 billion multi-jurisdictional restructuring under the CCAA, recognized by the Turnaround Management Association as its 2017 Turnaround Transaction of the Year for International Companies
- Ernst & Young Inc., in its capacity as court-appointed monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Bondfield Construction Company Limited and its affiliates
- Banro Corporation in connection with its $200 million corporate restructuring under the CBCA
- Gran Colombia Gold Corp. in connection with its $180 million corporate restructuring under the CBCA
- The Mobilicity group of companies, in connection with their CCAA restructuring and subsequent $465 million sale of core businesses to Rogers Communications
- Ernst & Young Inc., in its capacity as court-appointed monitor in the CCAA proceedings of Rubicon Minerals Corporation
- The DIP lenders to Pier 1 Imports and affiliates in connection with their cross-border restructuring under Chapter 11 and the CCAA
- An ad hoc committee of secured bondholders and DIP lenders in the CCAA proceedings of The Cash Store Financial Services Inc.
- The purchaser of FirstOnSite Restoration Inc., in its CCAA proceedings
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Insolvency and Financial Restructuring Law, 2024
- Law Society of Ontario
- Turnaround Management Association
Publication | Q4 2022
Publication | Q1 2022