Senior Innovation Lawyer
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Al Hounsell is a senior lawyer and innovation leader responsible for creating and implementing legal technology solutions. Mr. Hounsell works at the intersection of law and innovation, providing strategic and legal advice to clients and lawyers in matters such as: the drafting and automation of legal contracts for technology and financial services clients, regulatory compliance management and architecture, artificial intelligence, and emerging technologies in the legal tech space. Managing the solutions development team – a cutting-edge team of legal engineers and full-stack developers – he has overseen the production of numerous legal apps, leveraging innovative technologies and artificial intelligence. He has also played a significant role in developing bespoke solutions both internally and directly for clients in the areas of document automation, data analysis and visualization, and workflow process innovation.
Mr. Hounsell is a licensed lawyer and seasoned coder with an extensive background in full-stack software development, having built innovative technologies for a number of tech startups prior to and during his studies at Osgoode Hall Law School and the Schulich School of Business.
Subsequent to completing his articles with Norton Rose Fulbright Canada's Toronto office, Mr. Hounsell joined the knowledge management team. He is now uniquely able to work at the cutting edge of legal tech and process innovation, leveraging his background in business, law and software development. In short order Mr. Hounsell has won numerous awards in the area of legal technology.
He is a 2021 Fastcase 50 award recipient as well as 2019 and 2020 recipient of the ILTA (International Legal Technology Association) Distinguished Peer Award for "Young Professionals to Watch." Under his direction, his team's work in client solutions development was recognized as "highly recommended" at the 2019 Legal Week Innovation Awards in the category of International Law Firm Innovation. His contributions to Norton Rose Fulbright placed first overall in the global, firm-wide Global Chair Innovation award for his focus on application building platforms.
- M.B.A., Schulich School of Business, York University, 2015
- J.D., Osgoode Hall Law School, York University, 2015
- Fastcase 50 Award (2021)
- Young Professional to Watch List (ILTA Distinguished Peer Awards, 2019 & 2020)
- "Highly Recommended" designation (Legal Week Innovation Awards, 2019)
- Global Chair Innovation Award (2018)
- Davis Ward Phillips and Vineberg LLP prize, awarded to the three highest-ranking students in the combined courses of business associations, commercial law and tax
- "The Legal Engineer Consultant," "Selling Innovation," ILTACon panels, 2020-2021
- "A.I. in Big Law," ILTA seminar, 2020
- "No-Code Solutions for Law Firms," No-Code Conference, Atlanta, 2019.
- "Large Law Firms and the Emergence of Artificial Intelligence," Duke University Law School, 2019.
- "A.I. in Law Firms," CALL (Canadian Association of Law Libraries) conference, Edmonton, 2019.
- "API Panel," ILTACon (International Legal Technology Association), Orlando, 2019.
- "A.I.," Norton Rose Fulbright A.I. Conference, Toronto, 2018.
- Ontario Bar Association
- Canadian Bar Association
- International Legal Technology Association
Webinar | May 19, 2021
Webinar | 2020
Webinar | October 29, 2020