Norton Rose Fulbright South Africa Inc
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Steven (English Solicitor / Hong Kong SAR, China Solicitor) is a banking and finance lawyer based in Africa.
He has a wealth of experience in advising international and domestic banks and companies relative to banking, acquisition finance, project finance, structured finance, asset finance and general commercial transactions, with a particular focus on cross-border and emerging markets work.
Steven is admitted to the law societies of England & Wales, Hong Kong and Scotland and is recognised as managing a leading finance practice by IFLR1000’s Guide to the World’s Leading Financial Law Firms. He has also been ranked as a leader in the field of corporate/commercial work in Africa by Chambers for the past five years.
Steven is the Chairman of the Loan Market Association (LMA)’s Africa Group and is the former Chairman of the African Loan Market Association (ALMA).
Steven previously worked in our Singapore and Hong Kong offices and headed up our English law banking and finance practice in Bangkok in 2005.
Steven has been named as a leading lawyer in the financial and corporate space by IFLR1000, 2016. He was recognised by Chambers Global 2014, for Corporate and Commercial - Africa-wide, and Projects and Energy - Africa-wide, which stated that "Steven Gamble is sought after in the South African market for his English law advice.” Steven is also listed as a recommended banking and finance and shipping and transport lawyer in Legal500, 2015.
Steven obtained his LLB from the University of Edinburgh in 1995, having previously obtained a BA (Hons) in 1991.
Steven was recognised as a Leading Lawyer by International Financial Law Review (IFLR1000) / Petroleum Economist: Energy and Infrastructure Guide, 2014.
His international clients have included Absa/Barclays, AIG, AXA, Calyon, Citibank, Deutsche Bank, Eskom, Essar, ExxonMobil, GE Capital, Grindrod, HBOS, HSBC, Investec, JPMorganChase, Mitsubishi, Morgan Stanley, Nedbank, Nestle, RBS, RMB/FNB, SocGen, Siemens, Singapore Gas, Singapore Power, Standard Chartered Bank, Standard Bank, Sumitomo Corporation, Transnet, UBS, Visa International and Zimbabwe Power Corporation. Steven has also acted for various development finance institutions (including Actis, AFC, AfD, AfDB, DBSA, DEG, EIB, FMO, IDC, IFC, KfW, Norfund and Proparco) and major Chinese SOEs (including China Construction Bank (CCB), China Development Bank (CDB), ICBC and Sinosure).
- Acting for Transnet on a US$1 billion debt financing made available by AfDB and EDC.
- Advising Essar on an initial US$750 million acquisition of a major steel and iron ore project in Zimbabwe.
- Advising Absa/Barclays / StanChart in connection with the innovative US$100 million financing of MTN Uganda - awarded Project Finance Deal of the Year/Africa TMT Category by Euromoney.
- Acting for FMO (the Netherlands Development Finance Institution) in connection with a warrant backed debt financing of a mining related power transmission project in Zambia.
- Acting for ZPC (the state electricity generating company of Zimbabwe) as international legal counsel in connection with the high profile financing of the 300MW Kariba South Power Expansion Project and the 600MW Hwange Thermal Power Expansion Project and associated transmission system upgrade with Sinohydro and CMEC in Zimbabwe. The project size is in excess of US$2 billion and involves sovereign loans from China Eximbank to the Government of Zimbabwe.
- Acting for Standard Bank on a US$142 million ECIC (ECA) backed project financing of Tanzania's African Barrick Gold (the country’s largest gold producer) to fund the majority of the construction costs for the company's Bulyanhulu Process Plant Expansion.
- Acting for Standard Bank on a US$220 million ECIC (ECA) backed project financing of Ruashi copper cobalt related mining assets in the DRC and a ZAR300 million secured bridge financing of Metorex Limited.