Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Xavier Hamel practises employment and labour law, with a particular focus on matters related to hiring, termination, labour standards, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms, restrictive covenants, certification and the interpretation and enforcement of individual employment contracts and collective labour agreements. Mr. Hamel represents clients before the administrative tribunals having jurisdiction in labour matters and before the civil courts. He acts as a spokesperson for institutional and private clients in the context of collective agreement renewals. He gives conferences on various topics in labour law and human resources management.
Mr. Hamel has also developed an interest in access to information and privacy law, where he represents employers before the Commission d'accès à l'information (Access to information commission). He has also gained experience in business immigration and international mobility and participates in different files regarding turnkey solutions to employers that include obtaining the required authorizations from Quebec and federal authorities to hire foreign nationals in Canada.
- LL.B., Université Laval, 2013
- Quebec 2014
- Spokesperson for the Ministère de la Santé et des Services sociaux in relation to the renewal of certain collective agreements with associations representing intermediate resources and family-type resources
- Representation of several members of employer associations in connection with the high-profile matter of shift schedules in Quebec as a result of grievances filed by members of the Fédération des employés du Préhospitalier du Québec, a file whose stakes were valued at $125 million
- Representation of a client in the recreational boating industry in connection with the negotiation of the collective agreement that resulted in dispute arbitration of a first collective agreement. Involvement in certain disputes arising from the filing of motions for certification regarding this same client
- Management of labour relation and employment law issues in connection with the acquisition of a Quebec corporation, TeraXion, by the U.S. corporation, Indie Semiconductor, in a transaction estimated at over $200 million
- Representation of an international client in a certification matter before the Tribunal administratif du travail that gave rise to an application for judicial review before the Superior Court of Québec
- Representation of clients in the context of complaints for prohibited practices or termination without cause before the Tribunal administratif du travail
- Representation of clients whose employees are unionized in the context of grievance arbitrations
- Advice to clients in connection with complaints filed with the Commission des normes, de l'équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail or with the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse
- Representation of different public bodies in connection with review applications before the Commission d'accès à l'information as a result of requests for access to information
- Recurrent advice to several institutional and private clients globally regarding all their immigration law needs in Canada
- Quebec Bar’s Participatory Justice Award for the highest score in alternative dispute resolution processes and participatory justice (2012-2013)
- "Mondialisation, mobilité internationale et télétravail: vers une possible obsolescence du cadre d'analyse des limites territoriales dans les clauses de non-concurrence en matière d'emploi," Global Workplace Insider, August 2021.
- "Post-pandemic: The issues of working from home and the need for a related policy," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, May 2021.
- "Détenir un motif sérieux de congédiement ne cautionne pas tout comportement – Rappel de savoir-vivre pour les employeurs québécois," Global Workplace Insider, September 2020.
- "La Cour d'appel reconnaît que le courriel profesionnel d'un salarié peut servir à diffuser un message de nature syndicale dans le cadre de négociation," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- "L'article 46 de la Charte des droits et libertés de la personne : une approche restrictive consacrée récemment par une sentence arbitrale," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- "Restriction territoriale des clauses de non-concurrence dans l'industrie technologique - lorsque la limitation semble elle-même avoir une limite," Global Workplace Insider, March 2019.
- "La Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels dans le secteur privé a 25 ans : votre opinion sollicitée," Global Law Firm, March 2019.
- "Canada's biometrics expansion project," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, June 2018.
- "Legalization of marijuana for recreational use – issues and challenges for employers in Quebec," Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, April 2017.
- "How to Successfully Include a Restrictive Covenant in a Current Employment Contract," Global Workplace Insider, September 2016.
- "The Importance of Mobility Clauses for Quebec Employers," Global Workplace Insider, August 2016.
- " Hiring a foreign worker in Canada during a pandemic: What to know and what strategies to adopt " webinar, Norton Rose Fulbright, October 2020.
- "Le devoir de négociation de bonne foi," conference presented as part of the Colloque droit du travail patronal-syndical of the Éditions Yvon Blais, June 2019.
- "Légalisation de la marijuana à des fins récréatives - Quels sont les changements en milieu de travail," conference presented at the Industrial Relations Colloquium of Université Laval, March 2019.
- "Le vol de temps - un fléau gérable," presentation to the members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, March 2019.
- "Droit de l'emploi et du travail – Rétrospective de l'année 2017," Norton Rose Fulbright, March 2018.
- "ABC d'une fin d'emploi : ce qu'il faut savoir sur la fin d'emploi au Québec," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, March 2018.
- "Quand l'actualité rattrape la réalité : discussion autour du harcèlement psychologique et sexuel au travail et tendances à surveiller en 2018," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Université Laval, March 2018.
- "Les médias sociaux et le travail," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Université Laval, March 2017.
- "Le harcèlement psychologique en milieu de travail," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, February 2017.
- "Dans la peau d'un gestionnaire RH : Étude de cas," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, November 2016.
- External decision-making member of the Discipline Committee of Université Laval since 2019
- Member of the board of directors of the Service d'orientation et d'intégration des immigrants au travail (SOIT)
Publication | August 20, 2021
Webinar | September 29, 2021
Publication | May 18, 2021
Webinar | October 07, 2020