Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Xavier Hamel practises employment and labour law, with a particular focus on matters related to hiring, termination, labour standards, occupational health and safety, human rights and freedoms, restrictive covenants, certification, and the interpretation and application of individual employment contracts and collective labour agreements. Mr. Hamel represents clients before the administrative tribunals having jurisdiction in labour matters and before the civil courts.He presents conferences on various topics in the area of labour law and human resources management.
Mr. Hamel has also gained experience in the area of business immigration and international mobility and participated in different files providing turnkey solutions to employers that include obtaining the required authorizations from Quebec and federal authorities to hire foreign nationals in Canada. He has also developed an interest in access to information and privacy law, where he represents employers before the Access to Information Commission.
LL.B., Université Laval, 2013
- Quebec 2014
- Representation of several members of employer associations in connection with the high-profile matter of shift schedules in Quebec as a result of grievances by members of the Fédération des employés du préhospitalier du Québec, a file whose stakes were valued at $125 million and that required 16 days of hearings.
- Representation of a client in the recreational boating industry in connection with the negotiation of the collective agreement that resulted in dispute arbitration of a first collective agreement. Involvement in certain files arising from the filing of motions for certification applicable to this sameclient.
- Representation of a client in connection with a senior executive dismissal file, of which the dispute was valued at more than $180,000.
- Representation of a client acting as franchisor in the area of cleaning services, which gave rise to the cancellation of a judgment rendered before the Court of Quebec as a result of an application for judicial review before the Superior Court.
- Advice to a global client in the pharmaceutical industry concerning all its Canadian immigration law needs.
- Representation of different public bodies in connection with review applications before the Commission d'accès à l'information as a result of requests for access to information.
- Advice to and representation of clients in connection with grievances or complaints filed with the Commission des normes, de l'équité, de la santé et de la sécurité du travail or with the Commission des droits de la personne et des droits de la jeunesse.
- Quebec Bar’s Participatory Justice Award for the highest score in alternative dispute resolution processes and participatory justice (2012-2013)
- La Cour d'appel reconnaît que le courriel profesionnel d'un salarié peut servir à diffuser un message de nature syndicale dans le cadre de négociation, Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- L'article 46 de la Charte des droits et libertés de la personne : une approche restrictive consacrée récemment par une sentence arbitrale, Legal Update, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, July 2019.
- Restriction territoriale des clauses de non-concurrence dans l'industrie technologique - lorsque la limitation semble elle-même avoir une limite, Global Workplace Insider, March 2019.
- La Loi sur la protection des renseignements personnels dans le secteur privé a 25 ans : votre opinion sollicitée, Global Law Firm, March 2019.
- Canada's biometrics expansion project, Legal updates, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, June 2018.
- Legalization of marijuana for recreational use – issues and challenges for employers in Quebec, Legal updates, Norton Rose Fulbright Canada, April 2017.
- How to Successfully Include a Restrictive Covenant in a Current Employment Contract, Global Workplace Insider, September 2016.
- The Importance of Mobility Clauses for Quebec Employers, Global Workplace Insider, August 2016.
- The Duty to Accommodate Employees Suffering from Drug Addiction or Alcoholism in Quebec, Global Workplace Insider, August 2016.
- "Le devoir de négociation de bonne foi," conference presented as part of the Colloque droit du travail patronal-syndical of the Éditions Yvon Blais, June 2019.
- "Légalisation de la marijuana à des fins récréatives - Quels sont les changements en milieu de travail," conference presented at the Industrial Relations Colloquium of Université Laval, March 2019.
- " Le vol de temps - un fléau gérable," presentation to the members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, March 2019.
- " Droit de l'emploi et du travail – Rétrospective de l'année 2017," Norton Rose Fulbright, March 2018.
- " ABC d'une fin d'emploi : ce qu'il faut savoir sur la fin d'emploi au Québec," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, March 2018.
- " Les médias sociaux et le travail," presentation in connection with the industrial relations seminar of Université Laval, March 2017.
- " Le harcèlement psychologique en milieu de travail," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, February 2017.
- " Dans la peau d'un gestionnaire RH : Étude de cas," presentation to members of the AGÉRIUL of Université Laval, November 2016.
- Member of the board of directors of the Service d'orientation et d'intégration des immigrants au travail (SOIT)
- External decision-making member of the Discipline Committee of Université Laval
Publication | June 2018
Publication | April 2017