Claudette van Zyl
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Claudette van ZylvCard
Related services and key industries
Claudette van Zyl practises in international arbitration and all areas of civil and commercial litigation, including class actions.
She is also a sessional lecturer in international commercial arbitration at the Université de Montréal.
Before joining the firm as an associate, Claudette was the founding editor-in-chief of the McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution. She has completed legal internships with a prominent international arbitrator based in Montreal and at the Permanent Court of Arbitration in The Hague.
During her legal studies, Claudette spent four years working at the Centre for Intellectual Property Policy based at the Faculty of Law of McGill University, focusing primarily on questions related to pharmaceutical patents. She has helped to prepare interventions in pharmaceutical cases at both the Supreme Court of the United States and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Claudette also has a keen interest in food and regulatory law, and co-authored a chapter in an award-winning book on the transformation of cider in Quebec. She is contributing to an upcoming Jurisclasseur (Québec) intellectual property fascicule.
B.C.L./LL.B., with a minor in Classical Studies, McGill University, 2016
B.A. (Hons.), Political Science with a minor in Economics, McGill University, 2011
- Quebec 2017
- "How to write and present an 'expert' expert witness report at trial" (co-presenter), Canadian Psychiatric Association Annual Conference, Toronto, 2018.
- "How to be an 'expert' expert witness" (co-presenter), Canadian Psychiatric Association Annual Conference, Ottawa, 2017.
- "Introduction au droit des brevets," guest lecture in the course, "Notions juridiques & affaires," HEC Montreal, 2016.
- "Canadian patent litigation in psychiatric pharmaceuticals," 34th annual International Congress of Law and Mental Health, Sigmund Freud University, Vienna, 2015.
- "The emergence of wine law in Canada," Borden Ladner Gervais Student Paper Conference, McGill University, 2015.
- McGill Journal of Dispute Resolution Advisory Board
- The Advocates' Society
- YCAP - Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners
- Young ICCA - International Council for Commercial Arbitration
- Young OGEMID - Oil, Gas, Energy, Mining, and Investment Disputes
- Young Bar Association of Montreal
- Prestige Scholar Mentor - McGill Alumni Association
- Orchestre symphonique de Montréal - Ambassador Committee of the Bal d'une nuit d'été éclaté
- Montreal Museum of Fine Arts' Young Philanthropists' Circle