Related services and key industries
Benedict Wray's practice focuses on international arbitration and general commercial litigation. Dr. Wray has particular experience in international law, international investment arbitration, and business and human rights.
Dr. Wray is dual qualified as a barrister in both the United Kingdom and Canada and also has experience of public procurement, insurance defence, product liability, medical malpractice and healthcare regulation, professional negligence and public law. Apart from his British and Canadian qualifications, he has a detailed working knowledge of the legal systems of France and the United States.
In addition to his practical qualifications, Dr. Wray holds a doctorate which focused on global issues around business and human rights and transnational corporate liability. He has since acted for clients on related matters. He is able to advise on corporate social responsibility and human rights due diligence issues, and his dispute resolution work includes complex multi-jurisdictional human rights claims, including issues around jurisdiction and forum non conveniens.
Dr. Wray is fluently bilingual and practises in both English and French. He also has working knowledge of Spanish and Italian.
Ph.D. in Law, European University Institute, 2015
LL.M., European University Institute, 2010
LL.B., King’s College London, 2008
Maîtrise, Université Paris 1 Panthéon Sorbonne, 2008
- Ontario 2016
- Barrister, qualified in England & Wales 2009
Benedict Wray has recently acted in the following matters:
- Advice and representation in international investment arbitration proceedings relating to a significant construction project in South America and expropriation through ex post facto tax re-assessment
- Advice to client regarding Canadian and global sanctions regime and human rights law
- Advice to client relating to a federal ethics investigation
- Advice to client relating to the Canadian sanctions regime in the context of a planned project in the Middle East
- Advice to client regarding international investment arbitration in relation to an African mining project dispute
- Representation of a global big four accounting firm in litigation involving allegations of financial product mis-selling
- Representation of an aerospace client in a high-value contractual dispute
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- County of Carleton Law Association
- The Advocates' Society
- Association des Juristes d'expression française d'Ontario
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners
Publication | May 20, 2019
Publication | April 2019
Publication | February 25, 2019
Publication | December 2018