Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Andrew Stainer is a Vancouver-based lawyer with a litigation practice emphasizing commercial, maritime, transportation and insurance disputes. He has extensive experience with matters involving casualty and emergency response (including dealing with the Transportation Safety Board and other regulatory agencies), oil spills and other pollution, maritime collisions and claims, cargo claims, bodily injury, and property loss. He represents a diverse array of clients, including underwriters, ship owners, P&I clubs, railways, corporations, and individuals. He is experienced with vessel arrest and the application of international conventions to maritime proceedings.
Andrew has represented clients in proceedings before the courts of British Columbia, Ontario and Alberta as well as the Canadian Federal Court and Federal Court of Appeal and various tribunals. He has also achieved a number of successful results for clients through mediation.
Prior to joining us, Andrew practised in Toronto where he focused on transportation and commercial litigation. He has also worked in the Shanghai offices of a leading British shipping and insurance firm.
J.D., University of Toronto, 2008
B.A., Simon Fraser University, 2004
- California State Bar 2010
- British Columbia 2011
- Ontario 2009
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Transportation - Shipping, Chambers and Partners, 2020
- The Legal 500 Canada: Transport: shipping (Next Generation Partner), 2021
- Who's Who Legal - Shipping, 2020
- "Canada – Asian Gypsy Moth Season," Bull Housser Maritime Alert, March 2016.
- "Ship Arrests in Canada," Ship Arrests in Practice, 10th edition, 2016.
- "Separating Business From Pleasure: Do You Have Proper Insurance Coverage For Your Boat?" Canadian Yachting West magazine, October 2015.
- "Right to Limit Liability Affirmed: Supreme Court of Canada Decides Peracomo Inc. v. Telus Communications Co.," prepared for the Canadian Board of Marine Underwriters, May 2014.
- "Oil Spill Preparedness and Response: Setting a Course for the Future," Bull Housser Maritime Alert, January 2014.
- "Leave to Appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada Granted," Bull Housser Maritime Case Comment, January 2013.
- "Tow Boat Owners: Protecting Your Business Relationships with a Waiver of Subrogation," Western Mariner magazine, April 2013.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Maritime Law and Civil Litigation sections, BC Branch
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Law Society of Upper Canada
- State Bar of California
- National Association of Subrogation Professionals
- Canadian Maritime Law Association - director
- Plimsoll Club - member and past director
- Marine Insurance Association of British Columbia – member and past legislative liaison
- BC Chamber of Shipping - Liner Committee