Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Chris Speakman is a tax and business law lawyer. Mr. Speakman acts primarily for owner-managers, providing tax, business and corporate law advice.
Mr. Speakman acts for owner-managers in the forestry, retailing, land development, professional services, printing and transportation industries. He assists in their tax planning and minimization, estate planning, succession planning, business law issues, and in buying and selling businesses.
He has served on our management and nomination committees, as a vice-chair of the business group, and as head of the tax team.
He has completed the CICA In-Depth Tax Course and is a member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners. Mr. Speakman has led tax and business law seminars at the University of British Columbia and the University of Victoria. He has spoken to a number of professional organizations, including dentists and physiotherapists. He has taught at the Professional Legal Training Course and has coordinated and spoken at courses presented by Continuing Legal Education in BC.
Mr. Speakman has acted in the following matters:
- The sale of the shares of a wholesale distribution business to a private equity fund
- The sale of shares of a construction company to management
- The sale of the shares of a restoration business to a private equity fund
- The sale of the shares of a significant forestry company
- The sale of the shares of a high-tech business to a US buyer
- The purchase of an interest in a grain trading company
- The purchase of an interest in a printing company
- The sale of the shares of a significant Vancouver landlord
- 2017 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the areas of Corporate Law and Mergers + Acquisitions Law
- 2016 Best Lawyers in Canada: Recognized leading lawyer in the area of Mergers + Acquisitions Law
- 2016 Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory: Ranked Repeatedly Recommended in the area of Estate & Personal Tax Planning
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: BV Peer Review Rated
- Canadian Tax Foundation
- Society of Tax and Estate Practitioners
Publication | June 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | February 2018
Publication | October 2017