Carmen S. Thériault, KC
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Carmen S. Thériault, KCvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Carmen Thériault, KC leads the private wealth, trusts and estates team in Canada. Carmen was recognized as the 2020 People's Choice – Trusted Advisor of the Year at the international STEP private client awards. Her Vancouver team was also selected "Private Client Legal Team of the Year" (midsize firm category) at the 2016/2017 international STEP Private Client Awards. These prestigious awards recognize professional excellence among lawyers advising families across generations on private client matters.
Carmen has extensive experience in estate planning, estate and trust administration, charitable giving and related litigation. She provides succession and governance advice to individuals and families that own or control significant private and public company interests, as well as other legacy assets intended to benefit multiple generations. Her experience extends to establishing, funding and administering all manner of trusts, including discretionary family trusts, spousal trusts, alter ego trusts, joint partner trusts, trusts established for governance and commercial purposes, First Nation trusts and other special purpose trusts. Carmen is frequently consulted by trustees, beneficiaries and their advisors.
Carmen has been a frequent lecturer for a wide variety of groups, including Canadian Bar Association, Canadian Tax Foundation, STEP, CLEBC, Pacific Business and Law Institute, International Women's Forum, Estate Planning Council of Vancouver, Canadian Association of Financial Planners, Canadian Association of Insurance and Financial Advisors, Canadian Association of Gift Planners and other professional groups. Carmen was featured in a Member Q&A published in the STEP Journal: Issue 1, 2021. Click here to read the interview.
Carmen has also been a member of the Norton Rose Fulbright's national partnership committee and its global supervisory board for a number of years.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- British Columbia 1996
- Ontario 1986
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Trusts and Estates, 2006-2023
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016, 2018-2023: recommended in Charities/Not-For-Profit Law; 2016-2023: recommended in Estate & Personal Tax Planning
- Chambers High Net Worth Guide: Private Wealth Law - Canada (Band 1), Chambers and Partners, 2017-2022
- 2020 People's Choice - Trusted Advisor of the Year - STEP private client awards
- 2019 STEP Canadian National Conference: Award for the Highest Rated Plenary Session Presentation
- LexisNexis - Martindale-Hubbell: AV Preeminent Rating (2018)
- Expert Guides - Guide to the World's Leading Trusts & Estates Practitioners: Recognized as a leading practitioner in the area of Trust & Estate Law (2016)
- Best Lawyers in Canada: Trusts and Estates "Lawyer of the Year," 2015
- Appointed Queen's Counsel (now King's Counsel), 2009
- Editor and co-author, Widdifield on Executors and Trustees, 6th edition, (The Carswell Company Limited)
- Chair of Cambridge Senior Estates and Trusts Practitioners' Forum Steering Committee (2018-2019)
- Chair of Big Sisters of BC Lower Mainland Honorary Advisory Board and chair of its Estate Planning Advisory Council (2013-2019)
- Former chair, Lions Gate Hospital Foundation board of directors and current honorary board member (2006-2017)
- Member, International Women's Forum
- Member, Fraser Institute Foundation Gift Planning Advisory Group, (2012-2015)
- President, Estate Planning Council of Vancouver (2005-2006)
- Director, West Vancouver Memorial Library Foundation (2002-2005)
- Co-editor, Estates, Trusts and Pensions Journal (1998-2004)