Related services and key industries
- Financial services and regulation
- Funds and asset management
- Regulation and investigations
- Business ethics and anti-corruption
- Corporate, M&A and securities
Key industry sectors
Taher Ahmed is a financial services lawyer based in London.
Prior to joining the firm as an associate in November 2022, Taher trained and later worked as legal counsel on the buy-side of a global asset manager from 2019 to 2022.
Taher advises clients on a wide range of financial services regulatory matters which include providing guidance and advice on the scope of the UK (and where relevant, EU) financial services regulatory perimeter. Taher advises clients mostly on the wholesale and retail side of the industry, with a particular focus on funds and discretionary investment management services. Taher has advised a range of clients which include fund managers, segregated portfolio managers, depositaries, as well as institutional and other sophisticated investors. Taher also has experience in advising on a wide range of compliance issues in the asset management sector, as well as drafting, reviewing and negotiating common industry agreements which include but are not limited to, appointed representative agreements, secondment agreements, delegation agreements, investment management agreements, investment guidelines, depositary agreements, custody agreements, service level agreements and investment advisory agreements.
Taher completed his law degree in 2016 and holds an LLM in Banking and Financial Regulation from the London School of Economics, which he obtained in 2018.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Various clients – advised on perimeter issues and compliance with the FCA Rules and relevant European legislation (such as AIFMD and MIFID II).
- Global investment bank - advised in connection with an internal data gathering exercise of key terms in derivative (futures), and prime brokerage agreements.
- Multinational hospitality company – advised on the establishment of a UK real estate alternative investment fund and negotiated a range of contractual documentation.
- Global bank – advised on the regulatory obligations to act as depositary for a UK long term asset fund and drafted and negotiated a range of contractual documentation.
- Global bank – advised on the legal restrictions for the promotion and sale of unregulated collective investment schemes in the UK.
- Global bank – advised on a range of contractual lending documentation which included drafting a RAG review covering key terms used in contracts by the bank from the perspective of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 and the FCA's Consumer Duty.
- UK credit provider – advised on the applicable rules for identifying a person of significant control and updating the relevant corporate registers.
- Global fund manager – advised on its UK PRIIPS key information document requirements for funds distributed to investors in the UK.
- Global reinsurance company – advised on relevant UK anti-money laundering considerations for life insurance products.
- Administrators of a global bank – advised on its proposed data retention strategy in accordance with the record keeping obligations set out in the FCA rules.
Publication | September 18, 2023
The Electronic Money, Payment Card Interchange Fee and Payment Services (Amendment) Regulations 2023: correction
Blog | August 30, 2023
Podcast | May 15, 2023