Related services and key industries
Dimitris Assimakis is an energy and projects lawyer based in Athens. His main areas of practice are energy (power and gas), energy infrastructure projects, clean energy and renewable energy projects. Dimitris has advised on electricity and gas sector regulatory matters, on numerous M&A deals, project financings and several capital markets and privatisation transactions in the energy and other infrastructure sectors.
He has acted for Greek and international companies, both private and state, as well as financial institutions investing or lending to companies operating in Greece.
He studied law at the University of Athens while he also obtained a masters degree (LLM) from the Free University (Vrije Universiteit) of Brussels. Dimitris has been a qualified lawyer since 1995 and joined our office in 2007. Before joining our office in Athens Dimitris worked in the European Parliament and the Commission as well as in a leading Greek legal practice in Athens. He is a member of the Athens Bar Association, the Institute of Energy for South East Europe (IENE) and the Greek Energy Lawyers Association.
Dimitris is consistently listed as one of the leading energy lawyers in Greece by both Chambers and Legal 500. Legal 500 EMEA 2018 states "At Norton Rose Fulbright team head Dimitris Assimakis is a major figure in the Greek energy market.." According to Chambers Europe 2018 "Dimitris Assimakis garners praise as one of the leading practitioners in the energy market. He is highly regarded for his work on project financing and is highly sought after by clients from the financial services sector.."
He is fluent in Greek and English, while he has a good knowledge of French and basic knowledge of Italian.
- Lawyer, qualified in Greece (Athens Bar)
- Alpha Bank - on the non-recourse financing of a 20MW onshore wind farm project developed by a Greek subsidiary of Total Eren in Evia, Greece, completed in June 2018.
- Hellenic Republic - on the full ownership unbundling of the Independent Power Transmission System Operator S.A. (ADMIE), owner and operator of the national high voltage grid, from the vertically integrated company Public Power Corporation (PPC) and the sale of a minority interest to the State Grid of China, completed in June 2017.
- Eurobank Ergasias and EIB - on the non-recourse financing of three onshore wind farm projects totalling 49MW developed by Terna Energy in Viotia, Greece.
- Alpha Bank - on the non-recourse financing of a 33.3MW onshore wind farm project developed by a Greek subsidiary of Eren Groupe in Viotia, Greece, completed in February 2017.
- Elpedison Power – on the extension and amendment of three bond loans of a total amount of Euro 275 million subscribed by Eurobank Ergasias, Piraeus Bank, Alpha Bank, HSBC, Intesa Sanpaolo and Edison International Holding, completed in November 2016.
- Eurobank Ergasias, Alpha Bank & National Bank of Greece – on the non-recourse financing of a 73.2MW wind farm project developed by Terna Energy in the islet of Agios Georgios, Attica, Greece, completed in August 2016.
- Public Power Corporation – on the switch of the operational status of its wholly owned subsidiary, ADMIE (the Greek electricity TSO), from the ITO to the ISO unbundling model under the Third Energy Package. Advice rendered within the period September to December 2015.
- Duet Group - on all Greek law aspects relating to Duet Group's A $1.4bn (£661m) successful acquisition of Energy Development Limited (EDL), completed in October 2015.
- Alpha Bank - on the refinancing of three operating solar PV parks with aggregate capacity 11.50MWp, owned by Hellenic Solar S.A., a wholly owned subsidiary of Protergia S.A., completed in March 2015.
- Alpha Bank - on the refinancing of two operating wind parks owned by a Greek subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles totalling 46MW, completed in February 2015.
- Eurobank Ergasias - on the refinancing of two operating wind parks owned by a Greek subsidiary of EDF Energies Nouvelles totalling 48MW, completed in January 2015.
- Hall of Fame, Energy, Legal 500 EMEA 2018
- Band 1 Ranked Lawyer, Energy, Chambers Europe 2018
- Getting the Deal Through - Public-Private Partnerships 2016 (Greece Chapter)
- Getting the Deal Through - Project Finance 2015 (Greece Chapter)
- Getting the Deal Through - Electricity Regulation 2014 (Greece Chapter)
- IFLR, October 2008 - Guide to Energy and Project Finance "RES Projects Development & Financing in Greece"
- Project Finance Magazine - Annual Publication 2008 / Contributing the Greek section for solar power and wind power regimes
- International Comparative Legal Guide Series - Gas Regulation 2007 (Greece Chapter)
- Global Competition Review - Gas Regulation 2007 (Greece Chapter)
- Securing sustainable energy independence for the Greek islands: the role of storage (June 2018)
- Shifting to auctions for renewable energy capacity in Greece (May 2017)
- Capacity mechanisms: The price of security of supply (December 2016)
- Law 4414/2016: A new support scheme for renewable electricity in Greece (October 2016)
- European energy infrastructure opportunities: Small scale LNG (May 2016)
- Proposed new support scheme for renewable electricity in Greece (March 2016)
- Investing in the Greek wind sector - 10 things to know (August 2015)
- Oil and gas in Greece (March 2015)
- The Energy Union - Impact on renewables (March 2015)
- Law 4273/2014: The privatisation of the not-so-Small PPC (July 2014)
- Greece: Land of opportunities (July 2014)
- New tender for the new EPAs (November 2013)
- The privatisation of the Greek electricity system (October 2013)
- Mining in Greece - Ten Things to Know (May 2013)
- Icarus and the Greek feed-in tariff (July 2012)
- EU renewable regime and incentive guidebook - Greece (June 2012)
- Law 3894/2010 or the Fast Track Law - Opening a new 'fast track' for strategic investments in Greece (March 2011)
- Sunny Side Up Exploring the legal issues for roof top solar developers (Greece Chapter - January 2011)
- Greece embarks on accelerating the development of renewables to address climate change (July 2010)
- Concentrating our efforts on the sun (November 2009)
- Sunny side up (November 2009)
- Renewables Updater (May 2009)
- Regulatory regimes for solar power (March 2008)
- Dimitris is a qualified Greek lawyer, member of the Athens Bar Association since 1995. He is also a member of the Institute of Energy of South East Europe (IENE) and the Greek Energy Lawyers Association.
- Dimitris frequently contributes to our own and other publications.
January 28, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Alpha Bank on one of the first financing of greenfield onshore wind power under the new Greek support scheme for renewable electricity
July 27, 2018
July 31, 2017
Publication | March 06, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | June 2018
Publication | April 2017