Norton Rose Fulbright Greece***
Related services and key industries
Dimitris Assimakis is an energy and projects lawyer based in Athens. His main practice areas include: power and gas; energy infrastructure projects; clean energy; and renewable energy. Dimitris advises clients in the energy, electricity, infrastructure and gas sectors on regulatory matters, M&A deals, project financing and capital markets and privatisation transactions.
He has acted for Greek and international companies, both private and state-owned, as well as financial institutions which invest or lend to companies operating in Greece.
He studied law at the University of Athens and obtained a master's degree (LLM) from the Free University (Vrije Universiteit) of Brussels. Dimitris has been a qualified lawyer since 1995, joined our office in 2007 and became a partner in 2010.
Before joining our office in Athens, Dimitris worked for the European Parliament and the European Commission, as well as for a leading Greek legal practice in Athens. He is a member of the Athens Bar Association, the Institute of Energy for South East Europe (IENE) and the Greek Energy Lawyers Association.
Dimitris is consistently listed as one of the leading energy lawyers in Greece by both Chambers and Legal 500.
Legal 500 EMEA 2019 states "practice head Dimitris Assimakis is acknowledged in the market as one of the best for energy project finance." According to Chambers Europe 2019, "Dimitris Assimakis enjoys significant market acclaim. He has market-leading expertise in financing transactions and M&A deals in the energy sector, with a particular focus on wind farm projects."
He is fluent in Greek and English, has a good knowledge of French and a basic knowledge of Italian.
- Lawyer, qualified in Greece (Athens Bar)
- PPC Renewables – advised on various regulatory and legal issues for the European Investment Bank's €85m financing for the repowering of twelve small-scale wind farms and hydro-power plants and the construction of six new small-scale wind and hydro-power projects, altogether totalling 86.50MW (completed in April 2019)
- Hellenic Republic – assisted with the formulation of Hellenic Republic's final structural measures commitment offer proposed to and agreed with the European Commission, as well as on the legislation and the implementation of the structural measures agreed (completed in January 2019)
- Eurobank Ergasias and Alpha Bank – advised on the €202m non-recourse refinancing of seven operating solar PV parks and five operating wind farms totalling 162.4MW owned by Greek subsidiaries of Total Eren (completed in December 2018)
- Shell – advised on the divestment of its 49 percent participation in EPA Attikis, the main gas supply company in the Athens metropolitan area, and 49 percent participation in EDA Attikis, the exclusive operator of the gas distribution network installed and operating in the Athens metropolitan area (completed in November 2018)
- Elpedison – acted on the issuance of three bond loans totalling €214m, for the purpose of funding the company's power generation and retail business activities in the Greek power market (completed in October 2018)
- Alpha Bank – advised on the non-recourse financing of a 20MW onshore wind farm project developed by a Greek subsidiary of Total Eren in Evia, Greece (completed in June 2018)
- Eurobank Ergasias and EIB – advised on the non-recourse financing of three onshore wind farm projects totalling 49MW developed by Terna Energy in Viotia, Greece (completed in May 2018)
- Hellenic Republic – assisted with the full ownership unbundling of the Independent Power Transmission System Operator S.A. (ADMIE), owner and operator of the national high voltage grid, from the vertically integrated company Public Power Corporation (PPC) and the sale of a minority interest to the State Grid of China (completed in June 2017)
- Alpha Bank – advised on the non-recourse financing of a 33.3MW onshore wind farm project developed by a Greek subsidiary of Eren Groupe in Viotia, Greece (completed in February 2017)
- Eurobank Ergasias, Alpha Bank & National Bank of Greece – advised on the non-recourse financing of a 73.2MW wind farm project developed by Terna Energy in the islet of Agios Georgios, Attica, Greece (completed in August 2016).
- Hall of Fame: Energy, Legal 500 EMEA 2019
- Hall of Fame: Projects and privatisation, Legal 500 EMEA 2019
- Band 1 Ranked Lawyer: Energy, Chambers Europe 2019
- Securing sustainable energy independence for the Greek islands: the role of storage, June 2018
- Shifting to auctions for renewable energy capacity in Greece, May 2017
- Capacity mechanisms: the price of security of supply, December 2016
- Law 4414/2016: A new support scheme for renewable electricity in Greece, October 2016
- European energy infrastructure opportunities: Small scale LNG, May 2016
- Proposed new support scheme for renewable electricity in Greece, March 2016
- Public-Private Partnerships (Greece Chapter), Getting the Deal Through, 2016
- Project Finance (Greece Chapter),Getting the Deal Through, 2015
- Electricity Regulation (Greece Chapter), Getting the Deal Through, 2014
- Athens Bar Association
- The Institute of Energy of South East Europe (IENE)
- Greek Energy Lawyers Association
July 24, 2019
January 28, 2019
Norton Rose Fulbright advises Alpha Bank on one of the first financing of greenfield onshore wind power under the new Greek support scheme for renewable electricity
July 27, 2018
Publication | March 06, 2019
Publication | March 2019
Publication | June 2018
Publication | April 2017