Senior Advisor, Risk Advisory
Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Jeremy Moller is a risk advisory lawyer based in Sydney.
He has 10 years' experience working in Australia, the United Kingdom and New Zealand as a lawyer specialising in anti-money laundering, international sanctions and anti-bribery and corruption.
Beginning his career in New Zealand during the global financial crisis, Jeremy advised financial institutions on insolvency disputes and enforcement action. Subsequently he has worked in regulatory compliance roles advising entities both internally and externally on their approach to financial crime, and also third party risk management, business continuity and conflicts of interest.
Working with a team of multi-disciplinary experts within Norton Rose Fulbright's Risk Advisory practice, Jeremy specialises in assisting clients across sectors in relation to financial crime, with a particular focus on anti-money laundering and international sanctions. He is experienced in dealing with a range of regulators both in Australia and overseas in relation to financial crime. His work includes leading, implementing and reviewing financial crime programmes, such as conducting business wide risk assessments, as well as advising on litigation arising out of regulatory investigations.
Jeremy recognises the importance of both improving customer experience and ensuring compliance. Having led in a risk and compliance function for an international law firm, he has a unique understanding of the synergies between both legal compliance and operational risk management and provides clients with a holistic and commercial approach to regulatory issues.
Jeremy sits on the Ethics Committee of the New South Wales Law Society. He has a keen interest in governance and assists a number of not-for-profit entities with their legal and regulatory compliance.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand 2010
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales 2016
- Advised financial institutions and investors on compliance with anti-money laundering requirements related to medicinal cannabis given their regulation in Australia and Canada.
- Advised financial institutions and multi-national companies on their compliance with international sanctions in jurisdictions such as Iran, Russia, Cuba and Myanmar. This includes the implications of sanctions imposed by Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union.
- Advised a publically listed real estate entity on the establishment of their anti-money laundering compliance programme for Australia and New Zealand. This included conducting a risk assessment of each business line, integrating customer due diligence into the existing on-boarding process and providing guidance on the assessment of low, medium and high risk customers.
- Led targeted integrity due diligence, including anti-bribery and corruption compliance, on third party contractors and suppliers throughout Asia and Australia. These reports related to potential investments or mergers and acquisitions that were considered by senior management and boards.
- Advised on the requirements to register when representing foreign principals under the Foreign Influence Transparency Scheme in Australia.
- Established and led the anti-money laundering and financial crime team for Asia-Pacific for a global law firm.
- Led the drafting and review of operational risk and controls, policies and procedures, for a global law firm, to enhance risk management and embed risk culture. This included the implementation of a new business intake and practice management system globally.
- Led the development and marketing of a global sanctions compliance digital product that was sold to clients on a subscription basis. The product included the sanctions imposed by Australia, the United States, the United Kingdom and the European Union.
- Advised on the compliance obligations regarding Modern Slavery for global businesses with operations in Australia and the United Kingdom. This included advising on the implementation of a third party risk management tool to assess contractors and suppliers.
- Over 30 appearances in the Auckland High Court in New Zealand as a solicitor leading summary judgment and bankruptcy proceedings.
- Member of the New South Wales Law Society Ethics Committee.
Publication | June 12, 2019
Publication | May 08, 2019
Publication | April 17, 2019
Publication | April 03, 2019