Related services and key industries
Anne Meadows is an antitrust, competition and regulatory lawyer based in London. Working within our economic regulation practice, she has significant experience of advising regulated utilities in connection with price controls and appeals, investigations, regulatory compliance and enforcement, and judicial review.
She has in-depth sectoral knowledge, interest and understanding, bolstered by experience working as Principal Legal Adviser at Ofwat (the economic regulator of the water sector in England and Wales) and on secondment to one of the CMA's predecessor bodies, the Office of Fair Trading. This helps her provide practical, informed and well-targeted advice to clients in relation to their strategic engagements with competition authorities and regulators.
More generally, Anne has experience across the full range of EU and UK competition and regulatory law, including merger control, competition compliance and investigations, State aid and subsidy control and public procurement. This gives her wider perspective and insight, which she uses to support clients in horizon-scanning and promoting positive outcomes.
She is the author of our 'Regulatory Trends' briefings, providing valuable thought leadership to our clients.
- MA Jurisprudence, Worcester College, Oxford, 2002
- Legal Practice Course, The College of Law, Chester, 1999
- Bachelor of Civil Law (BCL) Postgraduate Degree, Worcester College, Oxford, 1998 (with a particular focus on Competition Law, Comparative Public Law and European Business Regulation)
- BA (Hons) Jurisprudence, Worcester College, Oxford, 1997
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Regulatory references and appeals to the CMA, including:
- Delta Air Lines Inc. on its appeal against the CAA's H7 Final Decision on the economic regulation of Heathrow Airport Limited.
- National Grid Electricity Transmission plc and National Grid Gas plc on appeals challenging aspects of Ofgem's RIIO-T2 price control settlement, and in relation to subsequent judicial review proceedings brought by another appellant.
- Bristol Water PLC on its successful appeal for redetermination of Ofwat's PR19 price control settlement.
- Electricity North West Limited as an intervener in connection with redetermination of Ofwat's PR19 price control settlement.
- Energy Networks Association as an intervener in the appeal by NATS En-Route Limited for redetermination of the CAA's RP3 price control settlement.
- Electricity North West in relation to the RIIO-ED2 price control and advising a water only company on the implications of Ofwat's PR24 Final Methodology for AMP8 and in relation to PR24 more generally.
- A water company on an internal investigation concerning allegations by a whistle-blower of licence breach, including advice on strategic engagement with Ofwat.
- A water only company in connection with a merger inquiry by the Competition and Markets Authority in the context of a completed acquisition.
- A water company in relation to collective proceedings seeking compensation for discharges of untreated sewage and wastewater into waterways.
- Water companies in relation to Ofwat's recent financial resilience licence modifications, and advising the shareholders of a regulated utility in relation to financial resilience and strategic engagement with regulators.
- A participant in the business water retail market on various regulatory issues.
- A regulated utilities in relation to competition law and regulatory compliance and enforcement, including the application of the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
- The Lawyer Awards 2022, shortlisted for Competition & Regulatory Team of the Year for work on the National Grid energy licence modification appeals
- The Lawyer Awards 2021, shortlisted for Competition & Regulatory Team of the Year for work on the Bristol Water price redetermination
- Global Competition Review, GCR 100: Global Elite, among the top 10 global law firms for antitrust and competition matters worldwide, Law Business Research Ltd, 2022
- Regulatory Trends: Next steps in energy and water regulation – confluence and convergence, July 2022
- Regulatory Trends: Keeping your head above water: a practical guide to non-price control licence modifications, March 2022
- Regulatory Trends: Looking to the long-term, a quiet revolution, November 2021
- Competition Law and Sustainability, In-House Legal Forum, October 2021
Publication | July 28, 2022
Publication | March 04, 2022
Publication | December 21, 2021