Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Jillian Karras is a member of the Vancouver real estate team where she practises in commercial and residential real estate law, with a focus on acquisitions and dispositions, commercial leasing and real estate-based financing, serving a broad variety of clients, including real property and commercial developers, commercial landlords and tenants, chartered banks, private and public corporations and institutional and private lenders.
She has a range of experience in the area, including drafting purchase and sale agreements, commercial leases and other real estate contracts; advising on property transactions, including project developments, acquisitions and dispositions and financing of office towers, retail spaces, shopping centers, industrial projects, bare land and residential properties; advising borrowers and commercial lending institutions regarding loans secured by real estate or personal property; representing landlords and tenants on aspects of commercial leasing of office towers, retail spaces, shopping centers and industrial projects; and advising clients on land use and regulatory issues, including development, subdivision, zoning and permitting.
Jillian is currently located in Vancouver and is a practising lawyer in both British Columbia and Alberta. Jillian lived in Calgary and worked at our Calgary office for four years before relocating to Vancouver. Prior to joining our office, Jillian was an articled student and associate at a well-known firm in South Surrey, BC, where she practised primarily in commercial and residential real estate.
International Business Certificate, Grenoble École de Management, 2010
- Alberta 2016
- British Columbia 2016
Representative matters in which Jillian has been involved include acting for:
- an investment company in the acquisition and financing of an industrial portfolio;
- developers and its affiliates with the creation of condominium plans, condominium by-laws and the sale of developer-owned condominium units;
- commercial landlords and tenants in downtown office buildings and industrial properties in relation to a broad range of leasing matters;
- a sports and entertainment corporation with its construction and development of a new event center and negotiating agreements with the municipality;
- a worldwide charitable organization with leasing, subleasing, licensing and development matters relating to facilities located on city-owned lands;
- a court-appointed receiver and manager, with the sale of a large privately owned real estate company and assets with a combined debt value of C$250 million, including land development issues, residential house sales, office building sales and bare development land sales; and
- a REIT in the refinancing of multiple shopping centers and in the disposition of several retail properties across Canada.
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch in Canada - Real Estate Law , 2023
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of British Columbia
- Law Society of Alberta
- CREW Vancouver
Publication | December 9, 2020
Publication | October 8, 2020
Canada: CECRA program: Closed to new applicants but extensions still available for existing applicants
Publication | October 2, 2020
Publication | August 24, 2020