Jeffrey W. Cottle
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Jeffrey W. CottlevCard
Related services and key industries
Partner Jeffrey W. Cottle focuses on all aspects of compliance program design, roll-out and implementation, including training, risk assessment, due diligence on third parties, and monitoring/audit protocols.
He has extensive experience in the compliance-related issues arising in mergers and acquisitions, as well as in post-merger compliance integration, and is adept at devising solutions to both the strategic and tactical compliance-related issues faced by companies, especially in high risk markets, as well as on how to manage internal and external stakeholders with an interest in the outcome of compliance-related decisions.
He divides his time between our global offices, serving a global client base.
Jeff also handles internal investigations of potential breaches of company compliance policies and/or law, as well as the defense of investigations by regulators and enforcement agencies. His practice spans the substantive areas of anti-corruption, trade sanctions, and export controls.
Jeff has held senior positions as in-house compliance counsel at major corporations headquartered in the United States, Europe, and Australia. He has been head of the compliance and/or anti-corruption function at companies with operations in, or transactions with, the most risk-intensive global jurisdictions, from Africa to Asia, and from Eurasia to Latin America, with a particular emphasis on the oil and gas, extractives, and aerospace and defense industries. He has participated in critical decision-making through all levels of management - from strategic decisions at the board to operational issues at remote work locations.
Prior to law school Jeff spent several years as an active-duty US Naval Intelligence officer, with field tours and at the Pentagon at the Joint Chiefs of Staff, eventually retiring with the rank of Commander. He was decorated for his role in operations in Syria, Lebanon, and the Persian Gulf, including Operation Desert Storm/Desert Shield.
JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1995
BA, magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 1986
- District of Columbia Bar
- England and Wales, RFL
- Maryland State Bar
- Recommended Individual: Corporate Crime, Legal 500 UK, 2014 - 2017
- Recommended Individual: Corporate Crime, Legal 500 US, 2014 - 2016
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, International Trade Law, Best Lawyers, 2019 - 2020
- The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom, Best Lawyers, 2021
- Chair, Global Compliance Officers' Forum, Dublin Ireland, November 2017
- "Risk-Based Compliance for Anti-Corruption and Economic Sanctions," Valiant Business Media, Paris, France, May 11, 2016
- "M&A Pitfalls & Case Studies," C5's 9th Annual Forum on Anti-Corruption, London, UK, June 29, 2015
- Chair, Global Compliance Forum, 2013-2018
Publication | June 17, 2021
Webinar | June 15, 2021
Publication | March 01, 2021
Publication | January 13, 2021