Co-Head of Technology Consulting
Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Peter McBurney is the Co-Head of Technology Consulting based in London.
He is Professor of Computer Science and a former Head of the Department of Informatics at King's College London, where he undertakes research on blockchains and distributed ledger technologies (DLT), cryptocurrencies and token economics, and AI. Peter is part of a team providing management consultancy advice to clients across different industry sectors who wish to take advantage of the opportunities created by the adoption of new and disruptive technologies.
As a member of the Academic Advisory Council of the UK Financial Conduct Authority, Peter advises on the use of AI and distributed ledger technologies in financial regulation.
Degree in pure mathematics and mathematical statistics (first); University medal in statistics
PhD in Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- A global bank purchasing software and software platforms from external vendors – advice on technical contractual terms for AI software
- Intending cryptocurrency custodians seeking insurance – independent technical assessments of proposed systems and processes for cryptocurrency private key management. These assessments are typically undertaken on behalf of the potential insurer.
- An intending distributed ledger consortium in energy trading – on the development of detailed technical plans and blockchain technology platform assessments.
- A distributed ledger consortium – to run a proof-of-concept trial aimed at selecting a technology partner to implement a shared platform.
- A global bank – on the design and implementation of a proof-of-concept blockchain for internal forex transfers.
Earlier in his career, Peter co-founded a telecommunications management consultancy, Redwing Consulting, which advised the world's leading mobile and satellite network companies on planning and implementation of new business ventures. Redwing's clients included AT&T, BT, Ericsson, ICO Global, NYNEX (now Verizon), Qualcomm, Teledesic and US WEST, and projects were undertaken across the globe. The company was sold in 2001.
Peter is frequently invited to speak on these technologies and has presented to the likes of:
- International Atomic Energy Agency
- Royal College of Defence Studies (UK)
- Lloyd's Market
- British Venture Capital Association
March 11, 2021
November 11, 2020
December 02, 2019
Podcast | September 01, 2022
Blog | July 26, 2022
Blog | June 30, 2022
Blog | June 15, 2022