Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Carmel Proudfoot is a dispute resolution lawyer in our Perth office.
Carmel focuses on international commercial arbitration, investment arbitration and complex litigation. She has particular experience in cross-border disputes in the energy, infrastructure, trade and transport sectors. Carmel has acted for clients across Asia-Pacific under many of the major arbitral rules, including the ICC, SIAC, LCIA and UNCITRAL Rules. Carmel also advises in relation to the drafting of dispute resolution clauses and the enforcement of arbitral awards. She is active in the international arbitration community as an ICC YAF Regional Representative for South Asia (2019-2021).
As a litigator, Carmel has acted for clients before a number of Australian courts and tribunals, including the High Court of Australia, Federal Court of Australia, the Corruption and Crime Commission and the Supreme Courts of Western Australia, Queensland, South Australia and Victoria.
- Bachelor of Laws (First Class Honours), Murdoch University (2014)
- Bachelor of Arts, Murdoch University (2014)
- Admitted as a Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of Australia 2016
- Admitted as a Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Western Australia 2015
- International joint venture comprised of Australian, Indian and Japanese interests - acted as counsel in an ICC arbitration seated in Singapore, subject to English law arising from the termination of a production sharing contract by Timor-Leste
- Asian telecommunications company - acted as counsel in an LCIA arbitration seated in London, subject to English law arising from a failed merger in Pakistan
- Mining company - acted as counsel in a SIAC arbitration seated in Singapore, subject to Singapore law in relation to the payment for mining services in Indonesia
- Oil & gas major - acted in a Perth seated arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules brought by a European vessel supplier over the redelivery of anchor handling vessel
- Property management firm - acted in a Perth seated arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules against a Thai steel producer in relation to constructon defects
- BP Australia Pty Ltd v Velocity Frequent Flyer Pty Ltd  QSC 293 - successful proceedings in relation to contractual termination
- Chevron Australia Pty Ltd v Valuer General  WASAT 7 - acted in a successful appeal against the land valuation for the site of a major LNG project
- Australian mining company - successful challenge in the Federal Court of Australia against a garnishee order following the enforcement of an ICSID award
- Rodi v State of Western Australia  HCA 44 - acted pro bono to secure a unanimous High Court decision quashing our client's conviction following the revelation of new evidence
- ICC YAF Regional Representative for South Asia (2019-2021)
- Awarded International Bar Association Scholarship for Maritime & Transport Committee for paper titled "The Mediterranean Migrant Crisis: Challenges and Solutions for the Shipping Industry" (2016).
- ICC YAF: Virtual hearings without one party's consent (Online, 2020)
- ICC YAF Global Conference (London, 2019)
- ICC YAF: The Way of the Future (Brisbane, 2019)