Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Jonathon Turner is a contentious insolvency and restructuring lawyer based in Sydney, having previously practiced in London. His practice focuses on the financial institution sector. Jonathon specialises in cross-border and contentious insolvency, restructuring and commercial disputes.
Jonathon advises a range of domestic and international clients including leading financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, corporates and directors on a wide variety of contentious and non-contentious matters. He has particular experience of advising on corporate insolvency litigation, cross-border insolvency law, commercial litigation, contractual disputes, fraud related matters, corporate governance, compliance and risk issues, corporate restructuring and security enforcement.
Jonathon is dual-qualified having been admitted as a solicitor in Australia and England and Wales. Jonathon's international experience includes acting in a number of high profile and complex matters in London arising out of the global financial crisis in 2008. He has acted for clients in complex litigation in superior courts in Australia, England and Wales and the Cayman Islands.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- ARITA Advanced Certificate in Insolvency, 2016.
- Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme (England and Wales), 2014.
- Master of Laws with Distinction, University of New South Wales, 2011.
- Bachelor of International Studies with Distinction and Bachelor of Laws with Honours, University of New South Wales, 2008.
- High Court of Australia 2015
- Qualified in England and Wales 2014
- Solicitor of the Supreme Court of New South Wales 2009
- Acting for the secured creditor and the receivers and managers of entities within the Jewel Group of companies (Administrators Appointed) (Receivers and Managers Appointed).
- Acting for a senior executive of a leading financial institution in relation to investigations being carried out by ASIC.
- Acting for the liquidators of a number of reinstated companies pursuant to an application by the Deputy Commissioner of Taxation.
- Acting for the FEG active creditor team in relation to entitlements paid out under the FEG scheme in relation to a number of external administrations.
- Acting for the deed administrators of Black Range Minerals Pty Ltd (Subject to DOCA).
- Acting for the liquidators of ACN 124 374 358 (In Liq) (formerly Ellery Land Pty Ltd).
- Acting for the liquidator of North Shore Property Developments Pty Ltd (In Liq)
- Acting for a non-resident registered liquidator in respect of a show cause notice issued by ASIC.
- Acting for the voluntary administrators and subsequently deed administrators of the Focus on Furniture group of companies
- Appearing for Mitchel Mansfield of Borelli Walsh in Singapore in an appeal before the AAT concerning Mr Mansfield's registration as a liquidator in Australia.
- Acting for the deed administrators of Payless Shoes Pty Ltd (Subject to DOCA)
- Acting for the receivers and managers of Dick Smith Electronics (Administrators Appointed) (Receivers and Managers Appointed).
- Acting for the voluntary administrators and subsequently deed of company administrators of JMIE Australia Pty Ltd (Subject to DOCA).
- Acting for the Department of Family and Community Services (NSW) as a creditor granted eligible applicant status under the Corporations Act 2001 (Cth) and the liquidators of Community Work Pty Ltd (t/as Guardian Youth Care)(In Liq).
- Acting for Alleasing, an asset finance and leasing company, in relation to a dispute in the Supreme Court of NSW against the voluntary administrators of OneSteel Manufacturing, an Arrium group entity, in relation to security interests under the PPSA.
- Acting for a number of Commonwealth departments, including the Australian Taxation Office and Department of Employment, in respect of the Arrium group of companies (November 2016)
- Acting for Macquarie Bank, the Accident Compensation Corporation (New Zealand) and Crown Asset Management Ltd (New Zealand) in relation to a just and equitable winding up petition before the Grand Court of the Cayman Islands concerning an exempted limited partnership.
- Acting for the former directors of Rivercity Motorway Management Limited in relation to Federal Court of Australia proceedings and public examinations concerning the collapse of a managed investment scheme.
- The chill of competition constraints on the sale of distressed businesses in Australia, Norton Rose Fulbright, Restructuring and Insolvency Newswire, January 2020
- The ability of insolvency practitioners to operate in foreign jurisdictions – INSOL World 2019
- Australia's Royal Commission into Misconduct in the Banking, Superannuation and Financial Services Industry and its Impact on Corporate Rescue – International Corporate Rescue 2018
- AAT approves registered liquidator application of non-resident – INSOL International & Zone of Insolvency (NRFA) – June 2018
- Safe Harbour Finally in Sight for Company Directors – The Review (Henry Davis York) - Summer 2016
- The Insolvency Law Reform Bill 2015 – The Review (Henry Davis York) – Summer 2016
- Reforms to prevent misuse of the FEG Scheme: New obligations and risks when continuing to trade in voluntary administration – Presenter at ARITA Seminar, October 2019
- Independence and DIRRIs – Presenter at Rosie Traill Corporate Insolvency Bootcamp, August 2018
- Australian Restructuring Insolvency & Turnaround Association (ARITA)
- Law Society of NSW
High Court confirms expansive interpretation of the permitted purpose of public examinations
Publication | February 18, 2022
Australia considers supercharging its scheme procedure
Publication | Q4 2021
International Restructuring Newswire
Publication | Q4 2021