Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Iona is an experienced EU and UK financial services regulatory lawyer with a particular focus on asset and fund management.
She has in-house experience in both the buy-sell and sell-side sectors and her clients include asset and fund managers, investment management arms of credit institutions, depositaries, custodians and institutional buy-side investors. In particular, she advises clients on technical aspects of EU and UK law as they impact the buy-side, including AIFMD, the UCITS Directive, MiFID, SFDR, IFD, CRD IV and EMIR.
Iona works closely with the Investment Association, an industry body representing UK investment managers, and was on the Working Group involved in the 2018 update of the Investment Association's model discretionary investment management agreement. As part of this, she was involved in presenting a number of training sessions to the Investment Association's members and is on the Working Group for the next update.
Iona often presents at buy-side-focused client briefings and webinars, the most recent of which covered the impact of ESG on the asset management sector. She also regularly contributes to industry publications, including Norton Rose Fulbright's global asset management quarterly.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- A global custodian on various UCITS liability considerations, including the application of the UCITS delegation requirements to CSDs.
- A US headquartered global banking group on the application and implementation of EU fund remuneration rules and guidance to its asset management business.
- A US and European asset manager with respect to its ESG project, covering issues such as Articles 8 and 9, SFDR product categorisation.
- A US-headquartered exchange on compliance with UCITS investment restrictions and eligible assets considerations.
- Several large US private equity houses on compliance with AIFMD.
- On complex regulatory negotiations for a depositary agreement and master services agreement for a new UK authorised investment fund.
- On EU and UK financial promotion and product governance issues in respect of listed and non-listed funds.
- A UK UCITS management company on the consolidation of its FCA regulatory permissions and transaction reporting considerations.
- On complex UK regulatory perimeter queries, including those relating to Brexit.
- On regulatory risk analyses for pension trustees seeking to invest in new fund structures.
- Several large US and Canadian banks on the application of the CRD IV remuneration rules (as implemented in the UK) to their UK businesses.
- On a project for a UK headquartered global banking group on the expected impact of Brexit on its fund management business across eight EU jurisdictions, including the provision of strategic UK financial services regulatory advice on the key marketing and regulatory perimeter considerations for the group, assuming the loss of the cross-border services and establishment passports in a hard Brexit scenario.
Webinar | May 12, 2021
Publication | February 04, 2021
Publication | December 14, 2020
Publication | June 05, 2019