Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Kevin Ackhurst heads our Canadian competition law team. For more than 20 years, he has advised Canadian and international clients on all aspects of Canada's competition and foreign investment laws. He provides timely and practical advice to help businesses navigate the Canadian regulatory processes involved in mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and strategic alliances. Mr. Ackhurst advises on civil and criminal competition law matters, including abuse of dominance, cartels, competitor collaborations, mergers, misleading advertising, and pricing and distribution practices. He also develops competition law compliance programs for large and small organizations.
Mr. Ackhurst also has extensive experience counselling clients on the review of foreign investments under the net benefit and national security provisions of the Investment Canada Act.
Mr. Ackhurst has advised clients in a wide range of industries, including the aerospace, agri-business, automotive, consumer products, energy, film, video, publishing and recorded music, financial services, mining, newspaper, oil and gas, pharmaceuticals, specialty chemicals, telecommunications and transportation sectors.
In 2002-2003, Mr. Ackhurst was seconded to the International Affairs Division of the Canadian Competition Bureau. One of his primary responsibilities was supporting the chair of the International Competition Network steering group. His other responsibilities included preparing ministerial briefing notes, undertaking international benchmarking studies, and participating in interdepartmental meetings on the interplay between trade and competition law.
Mr. Ackhurst contributes competition- and regulatory-related items to our Canadian M&A blog Deal Law Wire, and comments frequently on competition and foreign investment matters on Twitter @CanadaAntitrust. His recent publications include Getting the Deal Through's Pharmaceutical Antitrust in Canada, Lexology GTDT: Market Intelligence – Merger Control, the Substantive Merger Review chapter in the Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section's Fundamentals of Canadian Competition Law, and the Competition Law Economics practice note for Thomson Reuters Practical Law.
LL.M., University of Toronto, 1997
LL.B., Osgoode Hall Law School, 1996
B.A., Western University, 1993
- Ontario 1999
Mr. Ackhurst has recently acted for the following clients:
- Louis Dreyfus Commodities in the sale of its Canadian grain elevators to Parrish & Heimbecker
- Makivik Corporation in the combination of its subsidiary Bradley Air Services Limited (d/b/a First Air) and Canadian North Inc.
- Bombardier Inc. in: the pending sale of Bombardier Transportation to Alstom S.A.; the sale of its CRJ regional jets business to Mitsubishi Heavy Industries; and the sale of its business aviation training business to CAE Inc.
- Parmalat Canada Inc. in its acquisition of the natural cheese business of Kraft Heinz Canada ULC
- Tervita Corporation in its acquisition of Newalta Inc.
- A Canadian grocery retailer in the Competition Bureau's investigation into alleged price fixing in the sale of packaged bread
- Canadian Tire Corporation in its acquisition of Helly Hansen
- Quebecor Media Inc. in the sale of its English‑language newspaper business (which includes approximately 35 daily newspapers and 140 weekly newspapers) to Postmedia Network Inc.
- Avis Budget Group Inc. in a Competition Bureau investigation and enforcement action regarding its advertising practices
- Nortel Networks Limited in the sale of its CDMA Business and LTE Access Assets to Telefonaktiebolaget LM Ericsson, its Enterprise Solutions Unit to Avaya Inc., its Optical Networking and Carrier Ethernet business to Ciena Corporation, its global Carrier VoIP and Application Solutions business to GENBAND, and the proposed sale of its intellectual property portfolio
- Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019-2021 recommended in Competition Law; 2021: recommended in Advertising & Marketing Law
- Acritas Stars 2021 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Who's Who Legal: Canada 2020, Competition Law
- Chambers Canada, Nationwide: Competition/Antitrust, Chambers and Partners, 2015-2020
- Chambers Global, Nationwide: Competition/Antitrust, Chambers and Partners, 2015-2021
- Acritas Stars 2020 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2019 – Designated as an "Independently rated lawyer"
- Acritas Stars 2017 – Designated as a "Star" lawyer by a panel of over 3,000 global senior in-house counsel
- Best Lawyers in Canada, 2013-2020: Competition/Antitrust Law
- Expert Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers in Competition and Antitrust (Legal Media Group), 2014-2015 (Rising Star), 2016-2020 (Expert)
- "Flying Too Close To The Sun: A Review Of Recent Competition Developments In The Airline Sector" (panellist), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section – Legislation and Policy Committee, Teleconference, September 2, 2020.
- "The Growing Role Of Data Privacy And Critical Infrastructure Concerns In National Security Reviews" (panellist), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section Annual Fall Conference, Ottawa, October 18, 2019.
- "Townhall with Investment Review Division and Cultural Sector Investment Review" (moderator), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section - Foreign Investment Review Committee Annual Conference, Toronto, July 1, 2017.
- "Merger Review in the World of the Internet" (panellist), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section - Mergers Committee, Teleconference, April 19, 2017.
- "Advertising Update: Key Developments and What You Need to Know" (panellist), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section 2016 Annual Fall Conference, Ottawa, October 7, 2016.
- "The Year in Review at IRD & CSIR— And Possible Changes Ahead?" (moderator), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section - Foreign Investment Review Committee Annual Conference, Toronto, June 14, 2016.
- "Looking Backward and Forward: A Five-Year Retrospective on the Competition Act Amendments" (panellist), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section, Toronto, February 4, 2015.
- "Price Maintenance after Visa/MasterCard" (moderator), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section 2013 Spring Forum, Toronto, May 28, 2013.
- "Foreign Investment Review in Canada: The Uncertain Road" (moderator), Canadian Bar Association National Competition Law Section 2010 Annual Fall Conference, Gatineau, Quebec, September 2010.
- "Merger Notification and Procedures Working Group" (moderator), International Competition Network Annual Conference, Italy, September 2002 and Mexico, June 2003.
- Canadian Bar Association
- National Competition Law Section
Chair (2017-2018), vice-chair (2015-2017), Foreign Investment Review Committee
Chair (2012-2013), vice-chair (2010-2012), Mergers Committee
- National Competition Law Section
- Adjunct professor, Competition Law, Western University Law School (2010 session)
Publication | March 29, 2021
Publication | February 15, 2021
Competitive edge quick take: Regional differences in the antitrust treatment of no-poach and wage fixing agreements
Webinar | December 16, 2020
Publication | November 2020