Related services and key industries
Kathy Krug is the co-chair of the global food and agribusiness group and heads the Canadian food and agribusiness team. She is a securities and corporate lawyer with a particular focus on corporate transactions and governance. She brings to her practice years of management experience, including management of an agribusiness enterprise.
Kathy advises a broad range of Canadian companies involved in the energy and resources, technology, and food and agribusiness sectors on matters involving the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and TSX Venture Exchange rules and regulations, public and private offerings, corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, takeover and issuer bids, going-private transactions, related-party transactions and equity-based compensation arrangements, and has provided leadership on complex international transactions. She regularly provides legal advice on matters pertaining to governance, executive compensation, business ethics and anti-corruption, and directors’ liability.
Her food and agribusiness work has included acquisition and transactions involving seed companies, farm land and the establishment of a processing facilities business. Kathy's practice also extends to providing advice on corporate restructurings, product sales, cross-border acquisitions, warehousing and consignment arrangements, international services contracts and regulatory matters.
An experienced board member and officer, Kathy has served on the boards of several organizations including foreign-owned Canadian companies and serves as corporate secretary of a TSX-listed software company.
Recipient of two Client Choice Awards in the North American General Corporate category (2016, 2014), clients note that, "Her service stands apart in all areas - quality of legal advice, value for money, flexibility, commercial awareness, positive approach, and effective communication." Kathy co-chairs the Canadian Bar Association Food and Agribusiness Section, which has members across Canada and is a speaker at agribusiness conferences.
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1997
B.A., University of Regina
B.A., University of Saskatchewan
- Alberta 1998
Ms. Krug has advised the following clients recently:
- A TSX-listed company regarding the structuring of an anti-corruption compliance program. Engagement involved working with the executive and board of directors to assess the company’s risk and to develop and implement appropriate internal control procedures and prepare board policy
- A private Japanese-owned oil and gas service company conducting business in Western Canada on corporate restructuring matters, product sales agreements, acquisitions and dispositions, corporate governance and compliance issues
- A TSX-listed company on the acquisition of a US-based software technology company
- The founder shareholders in an acquisition by a US investor group of a TSX-listed company
- A TSX Venture-listed company on various merger and acquisition matters
- A Canadian TSX Venture-listed oil and gas services company regarding securities laws and regulations, corporate governance matters, acquisitions, international engineering services contracts, regulatory matters and corporate governance
- A Japanese client on services agreements, warehousing and consignment arrangements and acquisition matters
- Numerous Canadian public companies with respect to private placements, public offerings, takeover and related-party transactions, mergers and acquisitions, trust indentures, shareholder rights plans and security-based compensation plans
- Several significant Canadian not-for-profit corporations. Ongoing engagements involve providing advice with respect to their transition to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act on corporate governance matters and on international contract negotiations
- Client Choice Awards, 2016 - General Corporate, Calgary
- Client Choice, USA & Canada 2014: Individual Winner for General Corporate, Calgary
- Jessup International Law Moot: Second Place International Championship Round, Washington, DC, 1997
- “Anti-Corruption and Anti-Bribery Compliance Issues,” presentation to the governance committee of a TSX-listed company, September 2013.
- Presentation to the Canadian Olympic Committee on the Transition to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, Quebec City, May 2013.
- “Investing in Canadian Resources: What Japanese Investors Need to Know” (jointly with Hon. Daniel Hays, Crae Garrett and Michael Joyce), Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo, 2012.
- “New Executive Compensation Disclosure Requirements and the Impact on Corporate Governance Practices,” seminar, Calgary, Alberta, 2010.
- Speaker to public and private audiences on topics related to corporate governance.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Alberta Bar Association
- Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- Director, Japanese-owned private oil and gas services company based in Calgary, Alberta
- Corporate secretary, Computer Modelling Group Ltd., a TSX-listed technology company providing services in the oil and gas services sector
- Chair, Southern Alberta Institute of Technology, Legal Assistant Program Advisory Board
- Chair, Arbour Lake School Council and Fundraising Society
- Former board member, Canadian Red Cross Society