Norton Rose Fulbright Australia
Related services and key industries
- Banking and finance
- Acquisition finance and corporate lending
- Asset-based lending
- Asset finance
- Private equity and venture capital
- Public-Private Partnerships (PPP)
- Structured trade and commodity finance
- Real estate
- Sustainable finance
- Financial investors
- Oil and gas
Key industry sectors
Chris Patten is a banking and finance lawyer based in Melbourne.
Chris' core areas of practice are corporate finance, acquisition finance, non-recourse lending (real estate, projects, PPP, infrastructure and property) and specialised finance (receivables, trade, supply chain and asset based lending).
Chris specialises in advising emerging and high growth businesses on their bank, institutional and private debt raisings.
He works for both borrowers and lenders on their most complex and time-critical transactions and is known for his accessibility, negotiation and project management skills and hands-on and collaborative approach to executing transactions.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- Bachelor of Law (Hons) / Commerce, University of Melbourne
- ESR Australia in relation to the c.A$2.24 billion acquisition facilities underwritten by ANZ, MUFG, SCB and UOB for its 2021 acquisition of the $3.8 billion Milestone Logistics Portfolio, which was the largest direct real estate investment in the Australian market at the closing date.
- Loan Market, owned by the Ray White Group, in relation to the acquisition financing for its 2021 acquisition of NABs broker aggregation business, funded by ANZ.
- CBA and NAB in relation to subscription finance facilities and hedging provided to Global Infrastructure Partners' Australian fund.
- Howard Smith Wharves, an iconic Queensland tourism and hospitality development, in relation to its senior and mezzanine development and working capital facilities, funded by CBA and several private institutional lenders and subsequently on a senior-only refinancing provided by CBA.
- GB Energy in relation to the upstream financing for the development of the Golden Beach Gas Production and Storage Infrastructure Project in Bass Strait, Australia.
- International Finance Corporation, a member of the World Bank Group, in relation to its 2021 US$30 million loan to ODATA Brasil S.A. in relation to certain of ODATA's data centres in Brazil.
- AirTrunk in relation to its 2020 c. ¥45 billion construction and working capital facilities for the establishment of its first Tokyo data centre, underwritten by Deutsche Bank.
- AirTrunk in relation to its 2020 c. A$1.53 billion refinancing, construction and working capital facilities for AirTrunk's data centres in Australia, Singapore and Hong Kong in connection with the acquisition by Macquarie Infrastructure and Real Assets of a c. 88% stake in the AirTrunk Group.
- Viburnum Funds' and SCF Partners' in relation to the acquisition financing for their 2020 acquisition of Contract Resources Group from Anchorage Capital Partners, funded by NAB.
- La Mancha Resources on equity derivatives and margin loans in relation to certain investments and selldowns in Australia's mining sector.
- AirTrunk in relation to the construction and working capital facilities for the establishment in 2020 of its first Hong Kong data centre, underwritten by Deutsche Bank.
- BrickFloor, an award-winning proptech startup, in relation to its inaugural c.$35 million debt raising with a private institutional lender.
- AirTrunk in relation to the 2019 S$450 million syndicated debt financing to fund its expansion across Asia and to build the largest neutral data centre in Singapore (at 60 megawatts) at that time, underwritten by Deutsche Bank, Goldman Sachs and Natixis.
- AirTrunk in relation to the $852 million senior debt facilities for the AirTrunk Group, which was the largest data centre-specific financing undertaken in Australia to that time, underwritten by Deutsche Bank.
Lender considerations on data centre financings in Europe
Publication | June 21, 2021
Digital infrastructure insights
Publication | January 20, 2021
Trends and opportunities for digital infrastructure operators and investors in the APAC region
Publication | January 06, 2021