Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Radford Goodman is a dispute resolution lawyer based in London.
Radford has extensive experience in banking and finance litigation, insolvency investigations and claims, enforcement of security and guarantees, civil fraud and asset recovery, and commercial contract disputes. He acts principally for banks and other financial institutions, insolvency practitioners, corporate directors, funds and trade creditors. Radford has experience of international arbitration as well as High Court litigation in London and frequently acts alongside local counsel on high value cross-border mandates.
University of Manchester, Law (LL.B)
University of London, Corporate and Commercial Law (LL.M)
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
- Acting for an international financial institution in relation to High Court litigation arising out of payments fraud by a third party
- Acting for the US Trustee of Lehman Brothers Inc. in relation to UK litigation concerning an internal securities repo programme: Pearson and others v Lehman Brothers SA and others  EWHC 2914.
- Acting for an international bank in relation to arbitration proceedings to enforce rights under a complex cross-border guarantee structure, involving English, French and UAE governed contracts.
- Advising the Claimant beneficiary in relation to US$billion+ asset tracing proceedings, involving allegations of breach of trust, dishonest assistance, knowing receipt, unjust enrichment and conspiracy.
- Acting for a clearing bank in relation to the successful recovery of assets via a proprietary tracing claim following the discovery of borrower fraud.
- Advising a financial institution in relation to a dispute with a high-profile sports club concerning the frustration of a sponsorship contract as a result of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Advising PwC in their role as the provisional liquidators of Rafidain Bank: Chubb v Rafidain Bank  7 WLUK 701.
- Acting for the liquidators of a car hire company in relation to an investigation and subsequent wrongful trading claim against a former director.
- Acting for a German manufacturer in their successful winding up petition (contested) against the UK issuer of an unpaid letter of credit: Heytex Bramsche GmbH v Unity Trade Capital Limited  EWHC 2488.
- Advising an export credit agency in relation to the restructuring of a high-profile Spanish group in the renewables sector.
- Acting for an investment management services firm in relation to allegations of professional negligence.
- Acting for an African bank in relation to a successful application for summary judgment to enforce a EUR142million+ loan and a EUR 30million personal guarantee: FBN Bank (UK) Limited v Leaf Tobacco A. Michailides  EWHC 3017.
- Acting for the liquidators of a projects company in relation to a successful breach of duty claim against a former director, resulting in an influential judgment on directors' duties: Re HLC Environmental Projects  EWHC 2876.
- Acting for the liquidators of a UK company in relation to an investigation into the alleged misappropriation of company property by a director.
- Acting for the Trustees in relation to proceedings to clarify the rights of the guarantor to the swap counterparty following the default of certain floating rate notes: State Street Bank and Trust Company v Sompo Japan Insurance Inc.  EWHC 1461.
- Advising an international bank following the discovery of borrower fraud relating to false invoices assigned as security for a $multi-million facility.
- Acting for the Australian liquidators of HIH Insurance in their successful application for the repatriation of assets from the UK, resulting in a landmark judgment in the field of cross-border insolvency: McGrath v Riddell (Re HIH Insurance) (House of Lords)  UKHL 21.
- Acting for the successful Claimant in an international arbitration concerning the termination of a distribution contract in the FMCG sector.
- Acting for the Liquidators of an aircraft leasing company claiming the return of pre-delivery payments from a manufacturer following the termination of an aircraft purchase agreement.
- Advising the board of a high-profile UK company on their directors' duties at a time of financial uncertainty.
- Advising a financial institution in relation to a long-running dispute concerning a foreign currency mortgage.
- Advising a shareholder in the mining sector in relation to winding up proceedings brought against an operating subsidiary (copper mine) in Africa.
- Advising a global manufacturer on the recovery of goods pursuant to a retention of title clause following the high-profile collapse of a retain chain.
Recognised in the 2024 edition of The Best Lawyers in the United Kingdom for restructuring and insolvency
The Legal 500, 2024
- "Radford Goodman is calm, thoughtful, rigorous and focused - the model litigator."
- "Radford Goodman is a shrewd and experienced litigator who knows how to handle a big case."
The Legal 500, 2023
- "I would particularly point to Radford Goodman. He is perceptive, skillful at recognising the needs of the client, but also realistic and clear in his advice."
- "Radford Goodman is calm and responsive with common sense approach. He is knowledgeable and helpful."
- "Radford Goodman - a master of the detail whose contributions on legal analysis and strategy are always sensible and realistic."
The Legal 500, 2022
- "Fraud claims rarely exist in a vacuum and this ability to combine specialist expertise with the litigation strategy required in fraud cases marks out the NRF team. I am currently working with Radford Goodman who has shown great sensitivity to the broader issues in play while providing his clear advice to the client."
Chambers and Partners UK, 2013
- "excellent analytical abilities""
- "a deep understanding of complex financial products"
Chambers and Partners UK, 2012
- "capable of handling a range of work without exception or issue"
The Legal 500 UK, 2012
- "an expert in the insolvency arena".
- The Law of Administrators and Receivers of Companies by Lightman & Moss (Sweet & Maxwell) – Contributor
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals' (INSOL) electronic newsletter – Editorial committee (former)
- UCL: Guest-lecturer on corporate insolvency
- Speaker at conferences and seminars hosted by, among others, R3 and C5.
Member of INSOL International
Member of the Insolvency Lawyers' Association
Member of the Association of Business Recovery Professionals (R3)
Blog | July 20, 2023
Blog | July 13, 2023
Publication | Q2 2023