Ilana Beth Sinkin
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Ilana Sinkin is a Senior Counsel in Norton Rose Fulbright's Washington, DC office, where she focuses her practice on regulatory and government investigations, white collar criminal defense, compliance and internal investigations for both corporations and individuals. Ilana has experience in a broad range of government and internal investigations, including investigations related to anticorruption laws such as the US Foreign Corrupt Practices Act ("FCPA") and the UK Bribery Act ("UKBA"), sanctions and export control, securities enforcement, insider trading, financial fraud, the False Claims Act and market manipulation.
Ilana also has experience designing and implementing anticorruption, sanctions and export control compliance policies and procedures, designing investigative plans, preparing witnesses for interviews, assisting in document collections and productions, managing document reviews, preparing investigative reports, responding to subpoenas and participating in presentations to enforcement authorities; including the Department of Justice ("DOJ"), the Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC"), the Securities and Exchange Commission ("SEC"), the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority ("FINRA"), and the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security ("BIS").
Ilana is admitted to practice law in Virginia and the District of Columbia. She is also admitted to practice in the United States District Court in the Eastern District of Virginia.
JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 2013
BA, cum laude, Political Science, University of Pennsylvania, 2009
While in law school, Ilana was involved in the Public Interest Law Association as the Fundraising Director. She was also a member of the Virginia Journal of Social Policy & The Law.
- District of Columbia Bar
- Virginia State Bar
- Represented construction company conglomerate in a historic anti-corruption investigation involving U.S., Brazil, and Swiss authorities stemming from the Petroleo Brasileiro ("Petrobras") bribery scandal ("Lava Jato").
- Represented officer of Fortune 500 company in FCPA investigation.
- Defended a large academic medical center in a government investigation relating to allegations that certain researchers submitted falsified and/or fabricated research data to federal agencies in connection with grants funding scientific research.
- Represented a global pharmaceutical company in connection with potential FCPA and Chinese commercial bribery violations with respect to alleged distributors' activities in its business operations in China.
- Conducted internal investigation into third party distributor of a multinational medical device company for potential corruption and kickback issues.
Represented electronics company in grand jury and BIS investigations related to alleged violations of the Export Administration Regulations.
Assisted companies in submitting voluntary self-disclosures to OFAC and BIS.
- Represented broker-dealers in anti-money laundering and suspicious activity reporting issues.
- Represented broker-dealer in SEC and FINRA investigations regarding market manipulation.
- Obtained a declination for a public company from the SEC in relation to an investigation of alleged misrepresentations of earnings.
- Represented broker-dealers in contested FINRA enforcement actions regarding the sale of unregistered securities.
- Regularly advises multinational companies on anti-corruption, sanctions, and trade compliance issues, including due diligence reviews and drafting policies and procedures.
- Washington DC Rising Star, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Thomson Reuters, 2015 – 2022
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Criminal Defense: White-Collar, Best Lawyers, 2021 - 2024
- The Best Lawyers in America, Ones to Watch, Securities Regulation, Best Lawyers, 2024
- Co-author, "Teva Pharmaceuticals to Pay Nearly US$520M in Record-Breaking FCPA Settlement," HealthLaw Pulse, Dec. 26, 2016
- Co-author, "A Series Of Firsts In Muni Bond Enforcement Since 2010," Law360, Nov. 17, 2016
- Co-author, "Anti-Corruption Enforcement Is Escalating Worldwide," Law360, May 27, 2015
- Co-author, "FCPA and shareholder lawsuits: Avon wins dismissal, but companies must remain vigilant," Norton Rose Fulbright - Legal update, Oct. 2014
- D.C. Women's White Collar Defense Network
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- American Bar Association
Publication | July 27, 2023
Blog | July 24, 2023
Publication | March 13, 2023