Kathy L. Krug
Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Kathy L. KrugvCard
Related services and key industries
Kathy Krug is the chair of the global food and agribusiness group and co-chairs the Canadian food and agribusiness team. She is a securities and corporate lawyer with a particular focus on corporate transactions and governance. She brings to her practice years of management experience, including management of an agribusiness enterprise.
Kathy advises a broad range of Canadian companies involved in the energy and resources, technology, and food and agribusiness sectors on matters involving the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX) and TSX Venture Exchange rules and regulations, public and private offerings, corporate reorganizations, mergers and acquisitions, takeover and issuer bids, going-private transactions, related-party transactions and equity-based compensation arrangements, and has provided leadership on complex international transactions. She regularly provides legal advice on matters pertaining to governance, executive compensation, business ethics and anti-corruption, and directors’ liability.
Her food and agribusiness work has included acquisition and transactions involving seed companies, farm land and the establishment of a processing facilities business. Kathy's practice also extends to providing advice on corporate restructurings, product sales, cross-border acquisitions, warehousing and consignment arrangements, international services contracts and regulatory matters.
An experienced board member and officer, Kathy has served on the boards of several organizations including foreign-owned Canadian companies, serves as corporate secretary of a TSX-listed software company and was the corporate secretary of Calgary 2026 Bid Corporation / La Société de la candidature de Calgary 2026.
Kathy is a founder of the Canadian Bar Association Food and Agribusiness Section and is an expert advisor to the Deputy Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada on agriculture and agri-food sector matters.
Recipient of two Client Choice Awards in the North American General Corporate category (2016, 2014), clients note that, "Her service stands apart in all areas - quality of legal advice, value for money, flexibility, commercial awareness, positive approach, and effective communication."
LL.B., University of Calgary, 1997
B.A., University of Regina
B.A., University of Saskatchewan
- Alberta 1998
- A private Japanese subsidiary on its equity investment with respect to an online clothing manufacturing business
- A foreign-owned private company on disposing certain Western Canadian mineral assets
Calgary 2026 Bid Corporation on various corporate law and governance matters
A Canadian food retailer on Olympic sponsorship matters
A TSX-listed company regarding the structuring of an anti-corruption compliance program. Engagement involved working with the executive and board of directors to assess the company’s risk and to develop and implement appropriate internal control procedures and prepare board policy
- A private Japanese-owned oil and gas service company conducting business in Western Canada on corporate restructuring matters, product sales agreements, acquisitions and dispositions, corporate governance and compliance issues
- A TSX-listed company on the acquisition of a US-based software technology company
- The founder shareholders in an acquisition by a US investor group of a TSX-listed company
- A Canadian TSX Venture-listed oil and gas services company regarding securities laws and regulations, corporate governance matters, acquisitions, international engineering services contracts, regulatory matters and corporate governance
- Numerous Canadian public companies regarding private placements, public offerings, takeover and related-party transactions, mergers and acquisitions, trust indentures, shareholder rights plans, security-based compensation plans, and public disclosure matters (including ESG)
- Client Choice Awards, 2016 - General Corporate, Calgary
- Client Choice, USA & Canada 2014: Individual Winner for General Corporate, Calgary
- “Anti-Corruption and Anti-Bribery Compliance Issues,” presentation to the governance committee of a TSX-listed company, September 2013.
- Presentation to the Canadian Olympic Committee on the Transition to the Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act, Quebec City, May 2013.
- “Investing in Canadian Resources: What Japanese Investors Need to Know” (jointly with Hon. Daniel Hays, Crae Garrett and Michael Joyce), Japan Institute for Overseas Investment, Tokyo, 2012.
- “New Executive Compensation Disclosure Requirements and the Impact on Corporate Governance Practices,” seminar, Calgary, Alberta, 2010.
- Speaker to public and private audiences on topics related to corporate governance and food and agriculture matters.
- Canadian Bar Association
- Law Society of Alberta
- Alberta Bar Association (executive member, Food and Agribusiness Section)
- Calgary Chamber of Commerce
- Corporate secretary, Computer Modelling Group Ltd., a TSX-listed technology company providing services in the oil and gas services sector
- Expert advisor to Deputy Minister of Innovation, Science and Economic Development (ISED) in relation to agriculture and agri-food matters
- Executive member, Robert Thirsk High School Council
- Former director, Japanese-owned private oil and gas services company based in Calgary, Alberta
- Past corporate secretary of Calgary 2026 Bid Corporation
Publication | October 11, 2019
Publication | October 10, 2019
Publication | May 20, 2019
Publication | February 25, 2019