Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
- Acquisition finance and corporate lending
- Banking and finance
- Corporate trustee
- Cross-border insolvency representation
- Financial institutions, funds and creditor representation
- Financial investors
- Islamic finance
- Municipal restructuring and bankruptcy
- Private equity and venture capital
Key industry sectors
Prof. dr. Omar Salah is a finance, restructuring and insolvency lawyer based in Amsterdam, where he is head of restructuring.
Omar has extensive experience advising a global client base, including banks, private equity firms, (distressed debt) funds, corporates, government bodies, sponsors, investors and other stakeholders in restructuring and insolvency mandates.
Omar often advises on bank and bond debt restructurings, insolvency matters, distressed M&A transactions and trading in non-performing loans. He has been involved in some of the most complex cross-border insolvencies globally. In addition, he has advised various financial institutions on recovery and resolution proceedings.
Omar's practice also covers banking and finance matters and he has advised on numerous leveraged and acquisition financings, asset-based financings and investment grade corporate loans. He has noted experience in Islamic finance and holds a PhD in sukuk (Islamic securities). Omar has advised sponsors, banks and direct lenders on Term Loan B transactions, unitranche financing and other leveraged finance transactions.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- INSOLAD/Grotius Specialisatieopleiding Insolventierecht (cum laude)
- PhD, Sukuk Structures: Legal Engineering Under Dutch Law
- LLM, Dutch law (cum laude)
- LLB, International and European law (with distinction)
- LLB, Dutch law (with distinction)
- Advocaat, qualified in the Netherlands
- Rechtsgebiedenregister van de Nederlandse orde van advocaten: Ondernemingsrecht
- Listed in the register of legal practice areas of the Dutch Bar Association: Ondernemingsrecht
- Group of approximately 20 lenders - on one of the largest shipping restructurings in the Netherlands.
- International conglomerate - on one of the largest restructurings globally involving more than 23 jurisdictions.
- EUPP lenders – on a financial restructuring of a large corporate in the offshore and marine sector, involving EUPP lenders and RCF lenders.
- A US distressed debt investor – on the first-ever WHOA proceedings in the Netherlands as part of the global restructuring of the Steinhoff group with parallel scheme of arrangements in the UK and s155 scheme of arrangement in South Africa.
- A leading European retailer listed in the Netherlands – on its debt restructuring, rescue financing and distressed M&A transaction.
- A central bank – on the emergency regulations of one of the largest insurance groups in the Caribbean with recognition thereof in Chapter 15 proceedings in the US.
- Oi Telecom's key finance vehicle – on a US$6bn bond debt restructuring in the Netherlands as part of a US$20bn global restructuring in the US, UK, Brazil and Portugal, including Chapter 15 proceedings in the US and recuperação judicial proceedings in Brazil.
- Beter Bed Holding N.V., a European retailer listed in the Netherlands – on an acquisition financing from ABN AMRO and Rabobank.
- Ares – on a unitranche acquisition financing for a Dutch corporate in the dental business.
- Silverfleet Capital – on a leveraged finance transaction. The financing was structured through a Term Loan B from direct lender Muzinich & Co. Corporate Credit and a Super Senior RCF from Rabobank.
- Rabobank - on an Islamic finance deal to a listed corporate in Saudi Arabia.
- A distressed investor – on the acquisition and financing of a European distressed NPL-portfolio.
40 under 40 2022, Global Restructuring Review
Restructuring & Insolvency, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
"Omar Salah is a technically strong lawyer and very good at building relationships."
"The addition of Omar Salah makes this the restructuring firm to watch in this space."
"I worked with Omar Salah numerous times and he stands out from the rest."
Banking & Finance, The Legal 500 EMEA, 2022
"I have worked with Omar Salah. He is the best in the Dutch market on Islamic finance deals. He is doing a lot in leveraged finance too. Omar is technically very strong, understands banking and finance inside out, and did a great job advising us as a large financial institution on innovative banking transactions."
"Omar is a top-notch banking lawyer and a great addition to the team to win mandates on leveraged finance and Islamic finance."
- The pre-pack in the Netherlands may very shortly revive
- The Netherlands: UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency
- Professor Omar Salah on the WHOA: 'We are increasingly moving towards a business rescue culture'
- The Dutch scheme (WHOA) in practice: First two large restructuring plans confirmed by the Dutch Courts
- Steinhoff restructuring: The Dutch suspension of payments as an excellent tool for the restructuring of mass litigation claims
- Recent activity points to the welcome revival of pre-packs in the Netherlands
- Expert to the P.R.I.M.E. Finance Panel of Experts
- Conferee of the Conference on European Restructuring and Insolvency Law (CERIL)
- Member of International Insolvency Institute NextGen
- Member of INSOL International
- Member of INSOL Europe
- Member of INSOLAD
- Member of Dutch Restructuring Association
- International Correspondent for the Journal of International Banking Law & Regulation
- Professor of Law at Tilburg University where he holds a Chair in Global Finance and Restructuring Law
- Visiting Professor of Islamic finance law at IE Business School in Madrid, Spain
- Visiting researcher and lecturer at various universities (including Tilburg University, Leiden University, the University of Oxford and the University of Melbourne)
Omar Salah included in GRR ‘40 under 40 2022’ list
March 31, 2022
Partner Omar Salah appointed Professor of Global Finance and Restructuring Law at Tilburg University
September 01, 2021
Firm strengthens global restructuring and insolvency practice with new partner hire
August 02, 2021
The pre-pack in the Netherlands may very shortly revive
Publication | Q3 2022
The Netherlands: UNCITRAL Model Law on Cross-Border Insolvency
Publication | June 02, 2022
Professor Omar Salah on the WHOA: 'We are increasingly moving towards a business rescue culture'
Publication | June 01, 2022