Related services and key industries
Tomas Gärdfors is a banking lawyer based in London. The core of Tomas' broad practice is European cross-border energy infrastructure transactions, including transmission assets, portfolios and projects of common interest.
Tomas is the Firm's authority on the European Union's programmes for supporting energy infrastructure projects, Projects of Common Interest and EFSI. He is the author of the firm’s PCI and EU energy infrastructure related campaigns and is the Firm’s Head of Nordic. The breadth of his knowledge of the changing energy regulatory regimes enables him to provide innovate legal advice to his clients.
In the last 12 months alone, Tomas has advised on renewable financings in excess of 1 GW spanning solar in the UK, solar in Italy, solar in Iran and onshore wind in Sweden. Tomas has extensive knowledge of, and experience in, the Nordic region and has advised on ten transactions in the Swedish wind space alone, a market that is currently seeing increasing investment interest.
In recognition of his work, Tomas was nominated for the EurActory top Energy Union expert award and he has also produced a number of topical briefings on the European Energy infrastructure related topics, most popular being the briefing on holdco financing. Tomas has also been ranked in Chambers and Legal500 since 2005.
Tomas launched and now heads the Norton Rose Fulbright Nordic Group and is qualified both as an advokat in Sweden and as a solicitor in England and Wales. He is fluent in Swedish, English and German and has working knowledge of Danish and Norwegian.
- Solicitor, qualified in England & Wales
In the energy infra space, Tomas' recent experience includes:
- advising the 2020 European Fund for Energy, Climate Change and Infrastructure’s (Marguerite) on its acquisition of 28.97% of shares in AS Latvijas Gaze, the vertically integrated gas company in charge of the transmission, distribution, storage, and supply of natural gas in Latvia (the highest profile transaction in the Baltic region in 2016)
- advising a German financial institution in relation to a UK based CHP plant;
- advising a German conglomerate with respect to a €200m margin facility;
- advising the consortium on the A$10.258 billion NSW Government sale of TransGrid poles and wires
- advising on the acquisition of a European gas TSO (Transmission System Operator), whose assets include a PCI status project
- advising a European gas interconnector, which is a PCI project
- advising the investment in an OFTO, connecting an offshore wind farm in the North Sea to the British mainland electricity grid
- advising on the investment in North Sea offshore wind farm
- advising a bidder on its proposed £5.5 billion acquisition facilities for the purpose of partially financing the takeover of UK listed energy company.
- advising Lantmännen on the SEK2.5 billion financing of its acquisition of Vaasan Group, arranged by Swedbank.
- advising Vattenfall on the acquisition of Thanet Offshore Wind Limited, a 300MW wind farm off the Kent coast, the recommended cash offer for Eclipse Energy UK plc and the acquisition of AMEC Wind Energy Limited.
- advising Vattenfall on the English and Swedish law aspects of updating its €15 billion EMTN programme.
- advising specialist investment manager AMP Capital in relation to its £12 million mezzanine debt facility as part of a £94 million construction financing for a portfolio of 14 ground mounted solar projects owned by Lightsource in the UK.
- advising specialist investment management AMP Capital in relation to its £37 million mezzanine loan as part of the £284 million refinancing of a 101MW portfolio of 33 operational UK solar projects, owned and operated by Lightsource Renewable Energy Holdings Limited.
- advising iCON Infrastructure LLP in relation to its successful acquisition from Rabo Project Equity BV and Helius Energy plc of 95% of shares in the Helius CoRDe biomass energy plant in Scotland.
Norton Rose Fulbright advises BayWa r.e. Energy Ventures on its investment in a Swedish energy startup
October 16, 2018
November 22, 2017
July 08, 2016