Norton Rose Fulbright LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Phillippa Hook is a litigation and arbitration lawyer based in London. She has been advising clients on contractual interpretation and dispute resolution in the oil and gas, energy and construction industries for more than a decade.
Integrating a keen understanding of technical issues and commercial considerations with legal advice and strategy, Phillippa represents companies across the supply chain: from NOCs, IOCs and independents to contractors and suppliers. She has worked with many different types of contracts including joint ventures, shareholder agreements, management services, offtake and drilling. With a specific interest in hydrocarbon assets and midstream commodities, her experience spans a range of interests onshore and offshore including power plants, drilling and platform units, project companies, corporate assets and physical commodities.
Phillippa is experienced in both litigation and arbitration in the UK and other jurisdictions. She is particularly familiar with ICC, LCIA and 'ad hoc' arbitrations, as well as litigation in the Commercial Court and Technology and Construction Court. She makes good use of strategy and dispute tools to assist in settling a high proportion of her disputes out of court.
Large-scale, high-value, complex disputes are a keynote of Phillippa's practice and she has attained the Association for Project Management (APM) Project Fundamentals Qualification. Phillippa has also been involved with evaluating contracts and tenders and provides legal advice when problems arise to assist with dispute avoidance.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
- College of Law (now the University of Law), Guildford - LLB Law incorporating Legal Practice Course and Graduate Diploma in Law, 2005 - 2007
- Cambridge University, Girton College - MA Classics (Cantab), 2002 - 2005
- Solicitor 2009
- A major energy company – in an ICC arbitration dispute in relation to the sale of upstream assets
- A state-owned oil and gas company – in an LCIA arbitration decommissioning dispute against a contractor
- An international energy provider – in a contractual dispute against a government relating to the supply of petroleum products
- An engineering and construction company – in a contractual dispute in relation to one of the world's largest power plants
- A global oil and gas trader – on a potential court dispute arising from contaminated crude oil shipments
- A state-owned oil and gas company – in a shareholder dispute
- An onshore UK operator – in the Commercial Court in a contractual dispute with one of its joint venture partners
- An operator of an exploration and production licence offshore Africa – with potential disputes with its joint venture partners and legal issues arising in relation to a potential production licence
- Transocean – in a drilling contract dispute with Providence (The Arctic III) in the Commercial Court; one point of law (consequential loss) appealed successfully to the Court of Appeal
- On an anti-suit injunction for an international engineering and construction company and settling the wider claim against an African bank for payment of a performance bond in relation to the construction of a power plant
- Legal 500, 2018, Oil and Gas, "Clients also recommend 'remarkably driven and experienced' managing associate Phillippa Hook who 'ascertains the real issues quickly providing innovative but sound solutions instantaneously'".
- Parent company liabilities in emerging markets, December 2021
- Resolving joint venture disputes between investors and states, June 2021
- Picking up the COVID tab: Who carries the burden of changes in law?, March 2021
- CC(U)S—Spotting problems in the pipeline, February 2021
- Good faith in project finance?, Butterworth's Journal of International Banking and Financial Law (2020) 6 JIBFL 394
- Staying faithful: English Court's termination of North Sea operatorship makes waves, January 2020
- Energy disputes: The impact of recent decisions on the way we do business, June 2021
- Dispute resolution in the energy sector: Ready for anything?, October 2020
- Tips on Contracting with States and SOEs, October 2019
- Duties of Good Faith in Oil and Gas Contracts, Summer / Autumn 2019
Group litigation in environmental damages claims
Blog | September 01, 2022
Group litigation in environmental damage claims – growth and challenges
Publication | July 21, 2022
Resolving joint venture disputes between investors and states
Publication | June 16, 2021