Joint Head of Moscow
Norton Rose Fulbright (Central Europe) LLP
Related services and key industries
Anatoly Andriash is a corporate lawyer based in Moscow. He has substantial experience of corporate transactions and works across the energy and natural resources, M&A, corporate/commercial and project development/finance sectors. Anatoly advises on Russian inward and outward investments, joint ventures, private equity, cross-border acquisitions and disposals. He became a partner in 2002.
Anatoly graduated from Moscow State Institute of International Relations, International Law Department in 1994. He gained an MBA from the OU Business School in London in 2005, and an MSc in International Finance and Management from the OU Business School in London in 2010. Anatoly also graduated from the Russian State University for the Humanities, History of Arts Department in 2020.
- International Law, Moscow State Institute of International Relations, 1994
- MBA, OU Business School in London, 2005
- MSc in International Finance and Management from, OU Business School in London, 2010
- History of Arts, Russian State University for the Humanities, 2020
- Lawyer, qualified in Russia
[OIL AND GAS]
- Shell on the acquisition from Gazprom neft of a 50 percent stake in Meretoyahaneftegaz, creating a new joint venture to further develop the Tazovskoye oil, gas and condensate field, the Meretoyakhinskoye oil, gas and condensate field and some other oil, gas and condensate fields in western Siberia.
- Rosneft on the sale of 11 percent in JSC "Vankorneft" to ONGC Videsh Limited for approximately US$930 million. Vankorneft is one of Rosneft's key upstream operating subsidiaries which owns licences for the Vankor deposit in the Krasnoyarsk Krai region of Russia with an approximate production of 442,000 barrels per day of crude oil. This is the third instruction from Rosneft since we advised on its 2015/16 sale of 15 percent of JSC "Vankorneft" to ONGC Videsh for US$1.27bn, and on certain aspects of selling a 23.9 percent stake in the company for US$2.02bn to a consortium of Indian oil and gas companies.
- Rosneft on the sale to Statoil of a 33.3 percent stake in LLC SevKomNeftegaz, which is developing the Severo-Komsomolskoye field, and related joint venture arrangements.
- Rosneft on setting up a joint venture with Daewoo Shipbuilding and Marine Engineering Co. Ltd on a ship and marine equipment engineering centre in Russia, including advice on a joint venture and shareholders' agreements governed by English law and on Russian law aspects of the transaction and intellectual property matters.
- Vostok Energy plc, a UK-based oil and gas producer, on the sale of assets of OOO Dial Alliance, which holds the licence for the Bortovoi gas section in the Saratov region.
- Gazprom on: restructuring of Shtokman gas and condensate field in the Barents Sea, one of the world's largest natural gas fields; the purchase of gas from one of the largest gas deposits in Kazakhstan and its further processing in Russia; the implementation of a Shtokman production sharing agreement; structuring and negotiating a PSA in Uzbekistan; and structuring a joint acquisition transaction in Uzbekistan.
- Gazprom International (formerly CJSC Zarubezhneftegaz) on a range of legal issues related to the creation of a joint venture for the development of an off-shore oil and gas deposit in Vietnam.
- TNK-BP on the proposed acquisition of several oil and gas properties in several jurisdictions, including the sale of emission reduction units (ERUs) resulting from the Joint Implementation Project under the Kyoto Protocol, and advice on legal aspects of subsoil issues.
- TNK-BP on a range of legal issues related to the acquisition of an oil and gas company with assets located in various countries.
- Petrokamchatka Resources Plc on the company's AIM listing and corporate reorganization.
- Verny Investments Holding, acting for a major Kazakhstani investment fund for the acquisition of an interest in a Russian oil company, including a due diligence review of assets of the target company, the negotiations of a sale and purchase agreement, as well as further assistance iwiththe overall acquisition, and completion of acquiring oil and gas properties in Komi.
- Petrolinvest on the acquisition of three oil companies in Russia, including extensive legal advice on matters related to the issuance of an IPO and SPO.
- Shell across a broad spectrum of issues, including employment and labor.
- Baker Hughes, a major oil service company, on its operations in Russia; the work related to corporate, regulatory, real estate and labour work.
- CTI Resources Corp, a private energy and technology company based in Calgary, Alberta, in connection with the acquisition of a processing facility in Russia of oilfield sludge and other wastes; this included a due diligence review of the target company, negotiations of share, sale and purchase agreements and assistance with the shares transfer.
- Kudu Industries, a Canadian oil field equipment producer, on the acquisition of an interest in a Russian company.
- Mass Petroleum Inc on a potential acquisition of a Russian oil company.
- Chinese investment fund HOPU on the acquisition of a minority stake in the Bystrinskoye mine in the Zabaikal region from Norilsk Nickel and setting up a joint venture.
- Yildirim Group, a Turkish diverse holding group, on its $425m acquisition of ferroalloy assets from OAO Mechel, including the Voskhod Mining Plant in Kazakhstan, a modern chrome ore mine, and Tikhvin Ferroalloy Plant in Russia, including Russian merger control filings.
- Moscow and Beijing assisted Chinese state company Jilin HOROC Nonferrous Metal Group Co Ltd on obtaining the approval of the Government commission on foreign investments of Russian Federal Antimonopoly Service for the acquisition of a blocking stake in CJSC Geotechnology, which owns a licence for copper, cobalt and nickel deposits in the Kamchatka peninsula. Jilin HOROC pursues a greenfield non-ferrous mining project in Kamchatka, involving the construction of mining infrastructure.
- Atomredmetzoloto on the acquisition of a foreign company holding uranium exploration assets in several countries.
- Barrick Gold Corporation on several M&A transactions in relation to mining assets in Russia.
- Centerra Gold on the participation in auctions and a proposed acquisition of a leading mining company in Russia, structuring a JV in Russia, including participating in negotiations and drafting transaction documents.
- The world's largest aluminium company on the acquisition of assets in the Republic of Guyana.
- One of the world's largest commodity producers on establishing a western/Russian joint venture.
- Golden Reign Resources on Russian legal matters concerning a Canadian IPO and on negotiations with Russian JV partners.
- Foraco International SA on the acquisition of a stake in a Russian servicing company.
- Royal Bank of Canada on investment in a Toronto Stock Exchange IPO of Russian gold and silver assets, including a due diligence review of the Russian assets and preparation of an IPO prospectus.
- Uralkali on a range of legal issues, including participating at auctions as well as advising on various corporate and regulatory issues.
- [FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS]
- Nova Ljubljanska Banka on the acquisition of shares in a Russian bank, including a due diligence review of its subsidiaries.
- [OTHER SECTORS]
- Banwell International Ltd. on its US$25m sale of shares in a large private shipyard located in the south of Russia, including the preparation of a sale-purchase agreement and relevant security arrangements.
- World Market on the sale of a business in Russia to a German investor.
- Cable & Wireless on structuring a hive-out of the client's Russian operation, including the legal risks, tax liabilities and customs issues. In addition, this engagement entailed the full range of telecommunications legal support, particularly sale/purchase, service, option and lease agreements and providing counsel on Russian licensing and telecommunications requirements.
- Augere Holding (Netherlands) BV on the establishment of a joint venture with a Russian partner in the telecommunications sector.
- Local Russian telephone companies on leasing matters.
- Spar Aerospace Limited on licencing requirements pertaining to the provision of local and international telephone services and Internet services and rights to commence television broadcasting in Russia. During this engagement we met and negotiated with regulatory authorities on the client's behalf.
- German telecommunications company Telesens on the establishment of a joint venture with a large Russian telecommunications company, including advice on source code licencing issues pertaining to the provision of proprietary billing software.
- a leading international plane manufacturer on the creation of a joint venture with a Russian partner to assemble aircraft in Russia, including JV arrangements and antitrust regulatory matters.
- a global management consulting firm [BCG] on US and EU sanctions imposed on Russia.
- [REAL ESTATE]
- a Kazakhstani investor on the indirect acquisition of 50 percent of two Russian companies owning and operating an international hotel brand and a business center structured via Dutch holding companies, including the establishment of a joint venture in the Netherlands.
- a Kazakhstani real estate investment company [Kipros] on a proposed real estate investment in Turkey - a joint venture with a leading Turkish hospitality group to construct a new hotel and entertainment complex; and on a due diligence exercise in relation to a hotel in the centre of Moscow in advance of its proposed acquisition.
- Chambers & Partners, Energy and natural resources, 2008-2020
- Chambers & Partners, Energy and natural resources: mining, 2008-2019
- The Legal 500, Leading individual in Energy and natural resources, 2019-2020
- Best Lawyers, Energy and natural resources, Investments, M&A, Oil and gas, Project finance, Telecommunications, 2011-2020
- Best Lawyers, Mining 'Lawyer of the Year', 2017
- Who's Who Legal International, Energy, 2013-2020
- Who's Who Legal International, Mining, 2013-2021
- IFLR1000, Leading Lawyer- Highly Regarded for Russia in Energy and natural resources, M&A, Project development, Project finance, 2019-2020
- Co-author, "The latest changes to the Russian mining legislation", Gold and Technologies magazine, September 2020
- Co-author of the Law and Practice section of the Russia chapter of Chambers & Partners' Energy: Oil and Gas Guide 2020 and 2019
- Co-author of the Law and Practice section of the Russia chapter of Chambers & Partners' Mining Guide 2019
- Co-author, "New Civil Code of the Russian Federation: the future of civil and contractual law", published in Economics and Life magazine, No. 10, 2013
- Interview, "Russia's Oil Industry Threatened by High Taxes, Maturing Fields", Oil and Gas Journal, February 2008
- Co-author, "Some Practical Recommendations with respect to Implementation of New Subsoil Legislation" published in Oil & Gas Vertical magazine, March 2000
Anatoly is a regular speaker at high-profile conferences both in Moscow and internationally, including, most recently, on the legal aspects of foreign direct investments in Russia's oil and gas sector at the St Petersburg Legal Forum and at the IBA Conference 'Russian and CIS Mergers and Acquisitions', in Moscow.
- Speaker, "Risk Service Agreements in the Oil Industry: International Experience and Practice of Use in Russia", Sakhalin Oil and Gas Conference, Adam Smith Conferences, September 25, 2019
- Speaker, "Good Faith of Natural Resources Management in Russian and Foreign Law: the Concept and Criteria", St Petersburg Legal Forum, May 17, 2018
- Speaker, "Contractual Instruments in Sphere of Subsoil Use: International and Russian Experience", St Petersburg Legal Forum, May 19, 2017
- Speaker, "Global Trends and New Instruments in Private M&A", St Petersburg Legal Forum, May 19, 2016
- Speaker, "Corporate law development: lessons learned and what are the next steps?", IBA "Mergers and Acquisitions in Russia and CIS" Conference, October 18, 2016
- Speaker, " JVs in Russia's Oil & Gas Sector: Current Challenges", IBA "Mergers and Acquisitions in Russia and CIS" Conference, December 4, 2014
- Speaker, "Specifics of M&A deals in Russia: current challenges", New Economic School Public Seminar, April 17, 2013
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Business and Investment in Russia – New Challenges and Opportunities", CERBA, Vancouver, November 8, 2012
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investments in Russia's Oil & Gas Sector: New Challenges", IBA Conference "Russian and CIS Mergers and Acquisitions", Moscow, Russia, October 6, 2011
- Speaker, "Specifics of Russian M&A Market: New Challenges", CERBA, Vancouver, Canada, September 19, 2011
- Speaker, "The Art of Negotiation & Putting it into Practice", Skolkovo, Executive Education Programmes, April 15, 2011
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investments in Russia's Mining Sector: New Challenges", PDAC, Toronto, March 9, 2011
- Speaker, "Specifics of Russian M&A Market: New Challenges", Lecture at the University – Higher School of Economics, Russia, Moscow, November 26, 2010.
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investments in Russia's Oil & Gas Sector: New Challenges", CIS Oil & Gas Summit, Paris, France, May 2010
- Speaker, "Understanding Upstream Petroleum Legal Regimes and Contracts", Legal Training Course at RWE AG, Germany, Hamburg, February 4-5, 2010
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Foreign Direct Investment in Russia: Joint Ventures, Wholly Owned Subsidiaries and Contractual Alliances", China Investment to Russia Conference, Bejing, China, November 2009
- Speaker, "Legal Perspectives on Doing Business Today in Russia", CERBA, Calgary, Canada, October 2009
- Speaker, "Challenges Facing Foreign Investors in Russia", International Petroleum Week, London UK, February 2008
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Investment Risks in the Russian Mining Sector", PDAC Conference, Toronto, 2006
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects and Perspectives of Application of PSAs in the Russian Mining Sector", "Gold 2002" Conference, Moscow, 2002
- Speaker, "New Draft of Subsoil Code in Russia", Conference, Moscow, 2002
- Speaker, "Legal Aspects of Investment Risks in the Russian Mining Sector", "Gold 2001" Conference, Moscow, 2001
- Speaker, "Investment in the Russian Mining Sector", PDAC Conference, Toronto, 2000