Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP
Related services and key industries
Alexa Biscaro's bilingual practice focuses on international law and arbitration, constitutional issues, and business ethics and anti-corruption, with an emphasis on legal research and written advocacy. She frequently provides advice on complex appellate matters and judicial reviews.
Ms. Biscaro has appeared before the Ontario Provincial Court, Ontario Superior Court, Quebec Superior Court, Quebec Court of Appeal and the Federal Courts of Canada. She has acted as counsel in several commercial and investor-state arbitrations, and has served as tribunal secretary for an international commercial arbitration under the auspices of the ICC.
After completing law school, Ms. Biscaro clerked at the Supreme Court of Canada for Justice Thomas Cromwell. In 2019, she obtained her Masters of International Law from the University of Cambridge.
Ms. Biscaro volunteers as duty counsel for Pro Bono Law Ontario and as a judge for several mooting competitions, including the Jessup Canadian National Rounds.
- Ontario 2013
Recent mandates in which Ms. Biscaro has been involved relate to the following:
- A Canadian construction company, its joint venture partner and the joint venture vehicle in an UNCITRAL BIT dispute with a South American state regarding the state tax authority's imposition of income tax and VAT on the joint venture vehicle
- A Chinese-owned Balkans oil and gas company in an ICC arbitration with the state ministry of energy and state-owned oil and gas company relating to the operation of cost recovery provisions in the licence and petroleum agreements governing the company's petroleum operations, and issuance of a US$50 million tax assessment on the basis of a cost audit
- A North American railroad in an arbitration under the B.C. Arbitration Act with a competitor railroad relating to compliance with the terms of a consent agreement and related tariff governing haulage rates and service on a portion of the railroad's rail network
- An aviation-industry corporation in an ICC arbitration relating to the alleged breach of a software licensing agreement
- Advising clients on the anti-corruption regimes of foreign states and the Canadian Corruption of Foreign Public Officials Act
- Advising clients with respect to the parameters of a deferred prosecution agreement
- Advising clients of the potential consequences of World Bank sanctions and debarment on the various iterations of a proposed transaction
- Advising clients on the consequences of foreign authorities obtaining confidential and privileged documents during dawn raids and its potential impact on Canadian proceedings
- An individual plaintiff against the Government of Canada in an action for damages in negligence and for breach of ss. 7 and 8 of the Canadian Charter of Rights relating to the circumstances of the plaintiff's imprisonment abroad and treatment while imprisoned abroad under an Interpol Red Notice
- A North American railroad in an appeal concerning the interpretation of the Official Languages Act and the scope of language rights in the workplace
- "Domestic Commercial Arbitration Awards: To appeal or not appeal?", Canadian Arbitration and Mediation Journal, February 2019 (http://adric.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/ADRIC_JOURNAL_IAMC_2018_Vol27_No2.pdf).
- "Ontario Court of Appeal confirms the court's discretion to decline to grant partial stays of litigation in favour of arbitration", Commercial Litigation and Arbitration Review, February 2018.
- "I'm not a party and I'll produce if I want to: Getting your hands on Crown and police documents", County of Carleton Law Association 35th Annual Civil Litigation Conference, November 2015.
- "International Dispute Resolution on Trial," moderator, Canadian Council on International Law Fall 2020 Virtual Conference Series, October 29, 2020.
- "Wagg Motions: Getting the Goods from the Police and/or the Crown," CCLA 2015 Civil Litigation Conference, November 20-21, 2015, Mont-Tremblant, Quebec.
- Juristes d'expression française d'Ontario
- Young Canadian Arbitration Practitioners (YCAP) Policy and Advocacy Subcommittee
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates' Society
- County of Carleton Law Association
Publication | July 13, 2020
Publication | June 12, 2020
Publication | June 04, 2020
Publication | May 19, 2020