Norton Rose Fulbright (Asia) LLP
Related services and key industries
Reka Mohan is a dispute resolution lawyer based in Singapore.
Reka's practice involves acting for and advising clients in cross-border disputes and international arbitration across a variety of areas, including: banking and finance-related disputes; corporate and commercial litigation; international commercial arbitration; domestic arbitration; insolvency and restructuring; and shareholder disputes.
She has extensive experience of working with leading Senior Counsel and Queen's Counsel where she acted for high-profile clients, including listed companies, regional and international banks and high-net-worth individuals in high-value, complex and multi-jurisdictional disputes.
Reka also has experience of acting for clients in international and domestic arbitrations under various procedural rules (including the Singapore International Arbitration Centre Rules) and in investor-state arbitrations.
Reka joined us after 5 and half years as an associate and senior associate at a leading law firm in Singapore. She has also appeared before all the levels of the Singapore courts in various disputes, including challenges to arbitral awards.
She is bilingual in English and Tamil and has a working knowledge of Hindi.
Reka graduated on a full scholarship with a Second Upper Class Honours (L.L.B. Honours) from the National University of Singapore School of Law in 2013. She also was ranked joint 3rd in her class in the Singapore Bar Examinations with distinctions in 3 subjects in the Singapore Bar Examinations in 2013 before being admitted to the Singapore Bar in 2014.
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore, practising under section 36E of the Legal Profession Act) 2014
- Indonesian funds - acting as counsel in an SIAC arbitration against a Philippines conglomerate in a dispute arising over toll road concessions in South East Asia involving claims in excess of US$1bn and applications for emergency relief. The dispute involved complex issues of Dutch, Philippine and Singapore law. Reka assisted a prominent Singapore Senior Counsel against a team of counsel from an international law firm headed by Queen's Counsel.
- UAE incorporated company - acting in an SIAC arbitration against an Indian property group in a dispute concerning a multi-national joint venture company for the wholesale and retail business of mobile communication devices, with damages claims amounting to over US$119m.
- United-States incorporated global fund - acting on an SIAC arbitration against a Singapore incorporated company in relation to a dispute over the ownership of shares.
- International bank - acting in an SIAC arbitration administering the UNCITRAL Rules 2010 against a Singapore incorporated subsidiary company of a large Chinese incorporated logistics company in a dispute pertaining to collateral for bonded financing in the sum of approximately US$8m. Reka assisted a prominent Senior Counsel in this matter.
- Leading bank - acting for the recovery of funds due and owing to it by individuals in the Singapore High Court and in an SIAC administered arbitration under the UNCITRAL Rules 2010 with claims amounting to approximately US$8m. Reka assisted a prominent Senior Counsel in this matter.
- Prominent Hong Kong incorporated company - advising on the provision of expert evidence pertaining to the issue of whether a valid arbitration agreement existed under Singapore law in an arbitration seated in Singapore pursuant to the SIAC Rules 2013.
- Singapore-incorporated company (with related companies incorporated in Vietnam providing education services) - acting on a dispute pertaining to the dismissal of a director on the grounds of his misconduct which could potentially lead to arbitration seated in Singapore and involving issues of Singapore and Vietnamese employment law.
Singapore court litigation
- Russian Oligarch - acting on a claim of approximately US$1bn from the purchase of numerous masterpieces, including works by Picasso, Monet, Rothko and Da Vinci. Reka assisted prominent Senior Counsels against other prominent Senior Counsels before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal. The suit involved complex cross-border issues pertaining to a worldwide Mareva injunction and forum non conveniens challenges.
- High-net-worth Indian billionaire - acting against the estate of another high-net-worth Indian businessman on a dispute over the ownership of trust property and assets with total claims amounting to approximately US$500m. Reka assisted a prominent Senior Counsel and Queen's Counsel against a team headed by another prominent Senior Counsel in this dispute before the Singapore High Court and Court of Appeal.
- Two Philippine-incorporated companies - assisting with applying to set aside and / or resist enforcement of an arbitral award obtained by a Delaware incorporated company in an arbitration seated in Singapore. After the timelines for challenging the award expired, US government authorities issued findings of fraud perpetuated by the principals of the Delaware incorporated company. It was also belatedly discovered that the opposing party and their counsel suppressed of documents and information and made misrepresentations before and during the arbitration. Reka assisted and acted against prominent Senior Counsel in the application before the Singapore High Court which had to consider the novel issue of whether timelines for challenging arbitral awards may be extended if evidence of fraudulent conduct in procuring the award could only be discovered after the relevant timelines have expired.
- MF Global Holdings Overseas Limited, MF Global Futures Trust Co. Ltd. and MF Global FXA Securities Limited - acting on the recovery of funds from MF Global Singapore in High Court proceedings.
- Australian-incorporated company providing services in respect of retirement homes - acted on a dispute pertaining to the payment of success fees to a company that assisted in sourcing for additional capital and investments in respect of a joint venture that was set up to construct and run the retirement villages. The dispute involved claims of approximately US$8m.
- The private equity arm of Standard Chartered Limited - acted against a Malaysian-incorporated company in a dispute arising out of a share sale and purchase agreement. Reka successfully obtained summary judgment in favour of her client in the sum of approximately US$1.6m.
- Prudential Insurance Company - acted on recovering various sums due and owing by financial advisers.
- A leading bank - acted in response to allegations of misconduct by various bank officers.
- Singapore-incorporated construction company - acted on a dispute concerning the construction of a spa in Amara hotel in the Singapore High Court.
Investigations and advisory work
- Prominent Singapore-incorporated transportation and ship-building company - acting on the investigations of misconduct and advising on consequential steps
- Altus Shipping & Logistics Pte. Ltd - advising in the judicial management order
- Astro - Measat Broadcast Network Systems Sdn Bhd - acting on the execution of various agreements in respect of the supply and licensing of various cable and television programmes
- Various MNCs - advising on the enforceability of shareholder and other contractual agreements, with a focus on dispute resolution clauses.
- Assisted Mr Lionel Leo Zhen Wei (Mr Leo) when he was appointed amicus curiae in DC Suit No. 1535 of 2012/Z when it went on appeal before the Singapore High Court. The dispute concerned novel issues of who owned social media content in a dispute between Lee Kien Meng and Cintamani Frank in Lee Kien Meng v Cintamani Frank  3 SLR 2072.
- Co-author with Mr Leo on the seminal case of AQZ v ARA  2 SLR 972 entitled "High Court Clarifies Law on Applications to Set Aside Arbitral Award for Lack of Jurisdiction" on the Singapore Law Blog.
- Assisted Mr Leo in authoring various publications including updating various chapters in the Singapore White Book 2017, Singapore Halsbury's on Civil Procedure (namely the chapters on summary judgment, default judgment, striking out of pleadings, withdrawal and discontinuance of suits and trial procedure).
- Assisted in the chapter on Discovery in the textbook Law and Practice of Commercial Litigation in Singapore (Sweet & Maxwell 2015) assisting Mr Andre Maniam, S.C.