Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Edgar Chin is a dispute resolution lawyer at Ascendant Legal, a Singapore law firm in Formal Law Alliance with Norton Rose Fulbright.
Edgar has broad and in-depth experience in the shipping/admiralty, international trade and commercial sectors, with a strong focus on contentious matters. He regularly appears as lead counsel before all levels of courts in Singapore, as well as in arbitrations both ad-hoc and institutional, including under the SIAC, LCIA, and ICDR.
Edgar also has extensive and practical experience in the Protection and Indemnity (P&l) industry, having been a Claims Director at an International Group (IG) P&l Club, where he spent five years working closely with owners/operators, brokers and underwriters globally with a focus on Asia.
His legal capabilities, combined with his significant experience at the IG P&l Club, ensures that Edgar has a fine-tuned understanding of the practical and commercial issues that clients face, and is therefore able to deliver solutions which are in the clients' best interests. In relation to non-contentious matters, Edgar regularly assists clients in drafting or advising on general contracts, charterparties, bills of lading, as well as advising on environmental, licensing, regulatory and employment issues.
National University of Singapore
- Advocate & Solicitor (Supreme Court of Singapore) 2004
- A client in the Singapore High Court in its claim as jetty operator against owners of the vessel .
- As shipping specialists for the Judicial Managers of a marine transportation services company in the investigations into the practices of the company, taking statements from the relevant parties in relation to alleged claims arising out of contracts of carriages.
- The insurers/shipowners in respect of various major casualties and pollution incidents, including the collision involving the US Naval ship John S. McCain.
- The terminal owners in various significant berth damage claims
- A major Chinese oil and gas company and successfully defending claim by sellers under a contract for the sale of coal in an SIAC arbitration in Singapore.
- The client to defend a claim by buyers under a contract for the sale of steel scrap in a VIAC arbitration in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Several shareholders of a shipping company holding a public towage license in a multimillion dollar shareholder dispute.
- A major global container shipping company in a misdelivery claim.
- A shipowner in setting aside an arrest and successfully obtaining damages for wrongful arrest.
- The client, obtaining a mandatory injunction for the enforcement of an LOI issued for delivery of cargo without presentation of original bills of lading.
- The client, obtaining and maintaining a Mareva injunction in circumstances where forged documents were produced by the respondent to deny liability.
- The liquidators to claw-back unauthorised payments made to third parties.
- A shipowner against managers where significant expenses were incurred in excess of the budget.
- The insurer on cover issues arising from a piracy hijacking of an insured vessel.
Senior Accredited Specialist (Maritime & Shipping Law), SAL
- Law Society of Singapore
- The Maritime Law Association of Singapore
- Mandarin Chinese