Nicholas Gwilliam Santangelo
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Corporate finance
- Asset finance
- Banking and finance
- Bankruptcy, financial restructuring and insolvency
- Corporate governance
- Corporate, M&A and securities
Nick is a senior associate in Norton Rose Fulbright's New York office. His practice focuses on maritime and international finance, secured lending and corporate matters. Nick routinely represents financial institutions, borrowers and funds in finance, joint venture and acquisition matters and in both domestic and cross-border transactions.
Previously, Nick worked with a variety of non-profit organizations both in the US and abroad. He continues to maintain a focus on public interest matters by assisting with Norton Rose Fulbright's pro bono practice.
JD, Fordham University School of Law, 2015
BA, German & Linguistics, Georgetown University, 2010
University of Vienna, semester abroad with emphasis on German-language linguistics, 2009
While in law school, Nick served on the Editorial Board of the Fordham Dispute Resolution Society and on the staff of the Fordham International Law Journal. He was awarded Honourable Mention for Best Oralist at the 2014 Willem C. Vis International Commercial Arbitration Moot in Vienna, Austria, where he competed for the Fordham Dispute Resolution Society.
After graduating from Georgetown University, Nick spent two years teaching English as a second language in Salzburg and Vienna, Austria as a Fulbright teaching assistant.
- New York State Bar
- Counsel to a syndicate of banks on a New York law Korean ECA-backed US$445 million facility to refinance a fleet of fifteen very large gas carriers owned by NYSE-listed Dorian LPG.
- Represented group of lenders in original $210,000,000 financing of fleet of twenty one bulk carriers and subsequent exercise of US$34 million and US$22.5 million accordions to fund an additional five vessels for publicly traded Eagle Bulk.
- Counsel to lenders in relation to a senior secured margin loan facility involving security in the partnership interests of a NYSE-listed limited partnership.
- Represented lenders in relation to the up to US$57.5 million financing of two rail ferries for joint venture between US-based shipping company and rail company.
- Represented lenders with respect to New York and Marshall Islands law on the US$51.3 million and US$165 million bridge financings of four newly constructed very large crude carriers acquired by private fund borrower.
- Represented a private fund borrower on matters of New York and Marshall Islands law in relation to a US$7,480,000 facility upsize to finance the installation of scrubbers on its fleet of twelve product tankers.
- Represented a public fund borrower on matters of New York and Marshall Islands law in relation to negotiated put option and capital call agreements in lieu of a parent guarantee to secure a US$75 million vessel financing.
- Represented a syndicate of lenders with respect to US$515 million refinancing of fourteen LPG carriers.
- Represented Mercuria Energy Group in connection with the Chapter 11 bankruptcy and US$535 million debtor-in-possession financing of Aegean Marine Petroleum Network.
- Advised the lenders on a US$2.2 billion restructuring of NYSE-listed Danaos Corp (DAC), one of the world's largest independent owners of modern, large-size containerships.
- Counsel to bank on the ECA-backed financing of a cruise ship to be built by the Ulstein Group (based in Norway) for US-listed Lindblad Expeditions.
- Counsel to private fund borrower in relation to the US$93,700,000 re-financing of twelve product tankers.
- Counsel to banks on the US$280 million refinancing of Eagle Bulk Shipping's fleet of vessels.
- Counsel to bank with respect to New York and Marshall Islands law Spanish ECA-backed two vessel construction and financing.
- Counsel to bank in the acquisition of a privately held equipment finance company.
- Counsel to a syndicate of banks on a New York law Korean ECA-backed US$760 million facility to finance a fleet of eighteen newly constructed vessels.
- Counsel to private shipping company on matters of US and Marshall Islands law including SPV and joint venture formation and corporate governance.
- Legal 500 US, rising star, Transport: shipping - finance, The Legal 500, 2020
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, Transport: shipping - finance, The Legal 500, 2020
- Co-author, "The LIBOR Transition – New York State introduces LIBOR replacement legislation," Financial services: Regulation tomorrow, November 8, 2020
- Co-author, "Is it still legal? Lingering uncertainty in securitization of loans and the interest rate that can be charged to borrowers," Financial services: Regulation tomorrow, October 21, 2020
- Member, New York City Bar Association
- Member, Young Shipping Professionals of New York