Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
- Trademarks and brands
- Copyright law
- Litigation and disputes
- Trade secrets
- Intellectual property
- Human rights
Shuangqi "Joy" Wang is an associate in the Intellectual Property Brands group with a focus on trademark, copyright and general intellectual property matters. She joined Norton Rose Fulbright in 2017 after graduating from the University of Minnesota's Joint Degree program and clerking for the Honorable Justice Natalie E. Hudson on the Minnesota Supreme Court. She currently serves as the Co-Vice Chair of Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP's Minority Lawyers Network.
In her trademark practice, Joy helps clients select, register, manage and protect trademarks in the U.S. and around the world. She clears trademarks, prosecutes applications, manages global portfolios, drafts and sends cease and desist letters, files trademark oppositions and cancellation petitions, coordinates litigations globally, negotiates settlement agreements and handles domain name and social media disputes. As a native Chinese speaker, Joy has experience advising on the selection of potential Chinese trademarks, reviewing infringing trademark uses on Chinese websites and corresponding with infringers in China using Chinese and English.
In her copyright practice, Joy assists with the selection, registration and enforcement process, and drafts policies and agreements. Joy also regularly reviews and drafts agreements concerning medical research and biological material transfer.
In addition to her IP practice, Joy represents asylum clients as a volunteer attorney for the Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights, serves on the Board of Directors for the Minnesota Justice Foundation, and is a member of the Emerging Leaders Group and a mentor for Twin Cities Diversity in Practice. She enjoys anything food related, as well as traveling, hiking, art performances, board games and spending time with family and friends.
MPH, Environmental Health, University of Minnesota School of Public Health, 2016
JD, cum laude, 2016 Human Rights Award, University of Minnesota, 2016
BA, magna cum laude, 2012 Distinguished Leadership Award, Sociology/Anthropology, Communications minor, Denison University, 2012
In law school, Joy was a research assistant for the Robina Institute of Criminal Law and Criminal Justice, a student director for the Federal Immigration Litigation Clinic, a student instructor for the Legal Writing and Skills program, a staff member of the Law and Inequality Journal, and a student ambassador at the Admissions Office.
She received the law school's 2016 Human Rights Award upon graduation for her work as President of the Amnesty International Legal Support Network, a Humphrey Human Rights Student Advisor, and a recipient of the Upper Midwest Human Rights Fellowship for which she interned at the International Criminal Tribunal of Rwanda for one summer.
As a joint degree student, Joy served as the Teaching Assistant for Environmental and Occupational Policy at the University of Minnesota School of Public Health. She was part of the team that won the 2016 Emory International Global Health Case Competition Honorary Mention and Participant's Choice awards, and first place at the 2016 UMN Global Health Competition.
- Minnesota State Bar
- Emerging Leader, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (2020, 2021)
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association (2019, 2020)
- Co-Author with Cassandra Gizzo (Associate, Norton Rose Fulbright), "U.S. Supreme Court ended battle concerning President Trump's blocking of individuals on Twitter," Social Media Law Bulletin, April 26, 2021
- "Working From Home: From Burnout to Balance," Hennepin Lawyer, Volume 90, Number 2, March/April 2021
- Co-Author with Tim Kenny (Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright) and Felicia Boyd (Partner, Norton Rose Fulbright), "Willfulness not required for profits awards in trademark infringement suits," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, April 24, 2020
- Co-Author with Susan Linda Ross (Senior Counsel, Norton Rose Fulbright), "US Supreme Court settles trademark Circuit split," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, May 23, 2019
- "When can you sue for copyright infringement in the US?," Norton Rose Fulbright Brand Protection Blog, March 12, 2019
- "Social media activities and the appearance of bias," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, July 24, 2018
- "How anonymous can you be on social media?," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, January 17, 2018
- "A Love and Hate Relationship With Social Media," Norton Rose Fulbright Social Media Law Bulletin, November 1, 2017
- Panelist, "New Associate Academy: What I Wish I Would Have Known," Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP, January 22, 2021
- Moderator, "WILD Conversations: Addressing Systemic Racism in Community Safety with Isabella Nascimento, ACLU of Minnesota," Twin Cities Diversity in Practice, Virtual, December 1, 2020
- Presenter, "'Phase One' Trade Deal Between US and China: What Does It Mean for the IP World?," Norton Rose Fulbright IP Roundtable, Virtual, February 19, 2020
- Co-Presenter with Tim Kenny (Partner, Global Head of Intellectual Property, Norton Rose Fulbright), "Consumer Markets Program", Best Buy Corporate Campus, Richfield, MN, November 14, 2019
- Panelist, "International Law Students Job Panel," University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, April 12, 2017
- Panelist, "International JD Job Search Club," University of Minnesota Law School, Minneapolis, MN, October 29, 2015
- Co-Vice Chair, Minority Lawyers Network, Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP (2021-Present)
- Board of Directors, Minnesota Justice Foundation (2020-Present)
- Member, Annual Awards Celebration Committee (2021-Present)
- Member, Board Engagement Working Group (2020-2021)
- Member, Student Engagement Committee (2020-2021)
- Minneapolis Office Representative, Women in Norton Rose Fulbright (2020-Present)
- Emerging Leaders Group and Mentor, Twin Cities Diversity in Practice (2018-Present)
- Trainer, TCDIP Connect (2021-Present)
- International JD Student Mentor, University of Minnesota Law School (2018-Present)
- Volunteer Attorney, Minnesota Advocates for Human Rights (2017-Present)
- Member, Minnesota Asian Pacific American Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Member, Women's Committee (2021-Present)
- Member, Outreach Committee (2018-2019)
- Member, Minnesota State Bar Association (2017-Present)
- Firm Captain, Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid Associates' Campaign (2019-2020)
- Advisory Board, University of Minnesota Law School Joint Degree Program (2017-2018)
- Mandarin Chinese