Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Sue Wang represents project sponsors, tax equity investors and lenders in project finance and project development, with a particular emphasis on solar and wind energy projects. Her renewable energy work includes utility-scale generation, distributed generation, community solar projects and standalone battery storage. Ms. Wang also has experience with offshore wind as one of the attorneys for the Vineyard Wind Project.
Ms. Wang's work includes many M&A transactions for wind, solar and energy storage assets of all sizes, from development-stage assets to operational portfolios. She especially enjoys working with clients who are making their first investment in the U.S. renewable energy sector.
JD, magna cum laude, Michigan Law Review and Clarence Darrow Scholar, University of Michigan Law School
BA, magna cum laude, Rice University
- District of Columbia Bar
- Represented Clearway Energy Group in the repowering and financing of the Elbow Creek (122 MW) and Wildorado (161 MW) wind projects in Texas. (IJGlobal 2019 North America Wind Deal of the Year)
- Represented Clearway Energy Group in the tax equity financing of the Mesquite (419 MW) wind project in Texas. Ms. Wang has also represented Clearway in the financings for multiple portfolios of commercial and industrial solar projects.
- Represented a Swiss private equity fund in the acquisition of a 50% interest in a battery storage portfolio (60MW/340MWh) in California and continued to assist the client and its joint venture partner throughout project development.
- Represented a joint venture amongst Akuo, AIP and a Finnish equity fund in the acquisition and financing of the Escalade (336 MW) wind project in Texas.
- Represented a joint venture between Hannon Armstrong and Summit Ridge Energy in the tax equity financings of multiple portfolios of community solar projects in Illinois and Maryland.
- Represented a Dutch pension fund manager in the acquisition of a 50% interest in a 920 MW portfolio of U.S. wind and solar projects developed by Électricité de France, of which 588 MW were operational and 334 MW were in development.
- Represented the lenders to SunEdison, Inc. before, during, and after SunEdison's declaration of bankruptcy. Ms. Wang managed a US$150M construction revolving loan that successfully funded the construction of over 100 MW in distributed generation projects during the lifetime of the loan. All outstanding loans were fully repaid after the SunEdison bankruptcy.
- Represented SunPower as the seller of a portfolio of 18 Illinois community solar projects.
- Represented BayWa r.e. as the sponsor of the Fern (134 MW) solar project in North Carolina.
- Represented PNC Financial Services Group, Inc. as the tax equity investor in three utility-scale solar projects in California.
- Represented SunEnergy1 in the construction financing and inverted lease tax equity financing of the Ranchland (84 MW) solar project in North Carolina.
- Represented Copenhagen Infrastructure Partners in an inverted lease tax equity financing for the Misae (240 MW) solar project in Texas.
- Represented Sempra Renewables in the acquisition of four utility-scale solar projects in California from Recurrent. Following completion of the acquisition, represented Sempra in the successful tax equity financing of all four projects.
- Represented the equity investor in the acquisition of a US$300M portfolio of SolarCity residential solar projects.
- Represented Apollo Towers Myanmar Ltd., a developer of telecommunication infrastructure, in a US$250M Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC) financing that was the first of its kind in Myanmar, which increased phone and internet penetration across all provinces..
- "When Wind And Solar Deals Require Premerger Reporting," co-authored with Dan Wellington and Andy Eklund, Law360, August 25, 2020.
- "Force Majeure and Coronavirus," Project Finance Newswire, April 5, 2020.
- "Coronavirus and the Renewable Energy Industry," Currents Podcast, March 4, 2020.
- "How to Plan Ahead for Back-leverage," Project Finance Newswire, June 19, 2019.
- Mandarin Chinese