Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Victor J. Domen, Jr., a government antitrust investigations and prosecutions lawyer, is a partner in the Washington, DC office. As a former enforcer himself, Vic has a unique perspective into the priorities of government agencies as well as the challenges clients may encounter. Regarded as a top-three US antitrust enforcer, Vic previously worked for the Tennessee Attorney General's Office, where he served as its senior antitrust counsel. For nearly 20 years, Vic was the lead lawyer in the investigation and prosecution of federal and state antitrust matters brought on behalf of the State of Tennessee.
As the immediate past chair of the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) Multistate Antitrust Task Force, Vic organized and often led the antitrust investigation and litigation efforts of state attorneys general. He coordinated antitrust enforcement efforts with officials at the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and international antitrust enforcement agencies.
Vic has reviewed and investigated hundreds of nonprofit mergers, dissolutions and sales of assets with a special focus on hospital and healthcare transactions.
In addition, Vic has extensive experience in the nonprofit sector. He has reviewed and investigated hundreds of nonprofit mergers, dissolutions and sales of assets with a special focus on hospital and healthcare transactions, including Tennessee's granting of a Certificate of Public Advantage (COPA) to Ballad Health. He was also a key drafter of Tennessee's current Nonprofit Act (2015) governing the activities of nonprofit entities in the state.
Vic is admitted to Practice in all Tennessee State Courts, the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth Circuit and DC Circuit, U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee and the District of Columbia.
Professional experienceExpand all Collapse all
JD, Rutgers University School of Law, 1992
BA in Economics, Vanderbilt University, 1989
- District of Columbia Bar
- Tennessee State Bar
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, Merger control, The Legal 500, 2020
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, General Commercial Disputes, The Legal 500, 2021
Vic spearheaded and edited the ABA Antitrust Section's recently published Third Edition of the State Antitrust Enforcement Handbook (2018) and served on the Editorial Board of the ABA Antitrust Section's Antitrust Law Developments Update (2017).
- Quoted, "Despite political differences, state AGs work across party lines on antitrust issues," FTC Watch, October 5, 2020
- Co-author, "Price Gouging Amidst the COVID-19 Pandemic," Competition Policy International, September 22, 2020
- Quoted, "Tuna's Downfall Seen as Antitrust Warning to Chicken, Beef CEOs," Bloomberg Law, June 5, 2020
- Co-author, "Government Contractors Beware: Implications of the DOJ's New Procurement Collusion Strike Force," The Antitrust Source, June 2020
- Co-author, "Antitrust agencies' COVID-19 response: federal and state authorities warn against price gouging," International Law Office, April 16, 2020
- Co-author, "FTC and DOJ release 2020 Draft Vertical Merger Guidelines for public comment," Norton Rose Fulbright Legal Update, January 13, 2020
Vic frequently speaks to groups regarding state and federal antitrust laws and the Tennessee Nonprofit Act. These groups include the ABA and AHLA, nonprofit boards and employees, students at the University of Tennessee College of Law (Knoxville), the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga School of Nonprofit Management, Middle Tennessee State University and Belmont University and School of Law. In addition, Vic speaks to groups regarding government investigations, bribery and extortion.
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting: Enforcers Roundtable (2016, 2017, 2018) Annually with DOJ AAG for Antitrust, FTC Chairman, EC's Commissioner for Competition and alternating Chief Executive of Competition & Markets (Britain), Commissioner of the Competition Bureau of Canada or President of COFECE (Mexico)
- "View from the Enforcers" ABA/AHLA Antitrust in Healthcare Conference, 2018
- "Key Antitrust Issues, Best Practices, Developments and Trends in Healthcare Provider Mergers," AHLA Annual Meeting, 2018
- "Federalist Society: Antitrust Enforcement by State Attorneys General: Filling a Void or Overreaching?" 2018
- "Tennessee Procurement Officials: Understanding, Detecting and Reporting Antitrust Violations," Jointly with the DOJ Antitrust Division, 2016
- Speaker and Moderator, "Briefing With The State Enforcers," ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, 2013-2015 and upcoming 2019
- "IP Theft: Approaches to Prevention," CLE Webinar, Corporate Counsel, 2014
- "Antitrust Merger Enforcement," Belmont University, Nashville, TN and Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, 2009 and 2014
- "How We Investigated a Bid Rig," National Association of Attorneys General, Centennial Symposium on State Antitrust Enforcement, St. Louis, MO, 2007
- "Bribery and Extortion: What to Know and What to Avoid," Office-sponsored programs to groups including the Tennessee Lobbyists Association, 2006
- "Tennessee Nonprofit Act Enforcement," University of Tennessee College of Law, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga School of Nonprofit Management, Waller Lansden Nonprofit Seminar, Annual
- Law360 Competition Editorial Advisory Board, 2021
- Co-Chair of the ABA Antitrust Section's 2019 Consumer Protection Conference
- Member and Chair of the Antitrust Task Force of the National Association of Attorneys General, 2015 – 2018
- Member of the ABA Antitrust Section Leadership including a term on the Leadership Council, 2015 – 2018
- Member of the Tennessee Bar Association
Six lawyers appointed to leadership roles in the ABA Section of Antitrust Law
November 08, 2022
Law360 names eight US lawyers to 2022 editorial advisory boards
March 24, 2022
The Legal 500 recognizes US services and lawyers
June 28, 2021
Disputed: Influencers, advertising and social media | S3 EP5
Podcast | April 26, 2023
Antitrust safety zone withdrawal: Information exchange compliance considerations
Webinar | April 04, 2023
“Climate cartel” or sustainability?
Publication | February 06, 2023