Samuel Romero Ramer
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Samuel Romero RamervCard
Related services and key industries
Samuel Romero Ramer, who has served at the highest levels of the Executive and Legislative Branches of the United States Government and held many positions relevant to federal investigations of businesses, is a partner in Norton Rose Fulbright's regulations, investigations, securities, compliance and white collar crime teams and Head of Congressional Investigations. Mr. Ramer guides clients through all aspects of criminal and civil investigations and congressional inquiries. He also represents individuals facing criminal investigation.
Mr. Ramer's government experience includes, most recently, serving as Senior Associate Counsel to the President of the United States. In that capacity, he provided advice to senior White House policymakers on the most important issues facing the Nation and guided them through congressional and other inquiries. He also led one of the Department of Justice's 12 major divisions as Acting Assistant Attorney General. Among his responsibilities was serving as the Department's principal liaison with Congress, guiding the most senior officials in the Department through the Senate confirmation process, and consulting with the Attorney General and Deputy Attorney General on the Department's policy positions and enforcement priorities.
From 2011 to 2014, Mr. Ramer served as Senior Majority Counsel to the Judiciary Committee of the House of Representatives. In that position, he was responsible for oversight of all matters regarding the Department of Justice and led several of the Committee's most important legal reform initiatives. Previously, he served as counsel to the Senate Judiciary Committee, where he also played a key role in oversight of the Department of Justice.
Prior to his time serving in the Legislative Branch, Mr. Ramer was an accomplished prosecutor. As an assistant United States attorney in Washington, DC and an assistant district attorney in the Bronx and Manhattan, he tried dozens of cases to jury verdict, and conducted a large number of complex investigations.
Mr. Ramer's in-house industry experience includes being the General Counsel and VP of Government Relations at Symplicity, a cutting-edge software company. During his tenure, he successfully guided the company through debarment proceedings, multiple investigations, and a government monitor program. As part of the management team, he directed the development of a best-in-class compliance program, culminating in the successful sale of the company to a large private investment fund.
Ramer is an active member of the Hispanic Bar Association of the District of Columbia, and a member of the prestigious Edward Bennett Williams American Inn of Court. He is licensed in New York and the District of Columbia.
JD, Boston University School of Law
BA, Politics, Brandeis University
- District of Columbia Bar
- New Jersey State Bar
- New York State Bar
- Legal 500 US, recommended lawyer, International litigation, The Legal 500, 2020
- Special Achievement Award, U.S. Attorney's Office, Washington, DC, 2007-2008
- Law Enforcement Recognition Award, New York State Division of Parole June 2001
- For services rendered to Special Offender Unit resulting in seizure and confiscation of over 30 firearms and large quantities of illegal drugs.
- Co-author with Eddie Lewis and Joseph Williams, "Congressional probe considerations for Texas energy companies," Law360, March 10, 2021
- Panelist, "When It's Not a Secret Anymore: New Issues on Attorney–Client Privilege and In-house Counsel", Association of Corporate Counsel Annual Meeting, October 28, 2019
- Panelist, "The Yates Memo One Year Later – How Have Corporate Investigations Changed?" National Capital Region Litigation Forum, November 2, 2016
- Panelist, "Preparing the Lawyer to Be the Witness," National Capital Region Litigation Forum, February 26, 2016
- Panelist, "Legislating Crimes of the Future," Georgetown Law Center Cybercrime 2020: The Future of Online Crime and Investigations, December 4, 2014
- Hispanic Bar Association
- Member, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, 2007-2011
- Association of Corporate Counsel
- Co-Chair, National Capital Region, Litigation Forum, 2015-2016
Publication | March 11, 2021
Publication | March 01, 2021
Webinar | January 26, 2021
Publication | December 30, 2020