Related services and key industries
Rhodri Evans is senior counsel in Norton Rose Fulbright's Infrastructure Practice Group, with a particular expertise working on complex pathfinder projects in the US PPP market. Rhodri has worked on PPP, design-build and project finance transactions throughout the United States, Canada and Europe, and offers a whole-life perspective on risk allocation issues on such transactions, having guided a number of projects beyond their proposal and financial close phases through construction to the handover of the completed project to its sponsor or operator.
Prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright, Rhodri was in-house counsel at the North American subsidiaries of a leading Spanish design-build contractor. Prior to that, he was a member of the finance and projects groups in the London offices of two major international law firms.
- Postgraduate Diploma, Legal Practice, BPP Law School, London, 2008
- Graduate Diploma, Law, University of West of England, Bristol, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts, University of Sussex, Brighton, 2001
- Washington State Bar
- Advising the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey on the procurement of a design-build contract to overhaul the roadways and ground transportation network at John F. Kennedy Airport.
- Advising a company participating on a shortlisted sponsor team in connection with the University of Florida's procurement of a P3 for a new Central Energy Plant.
- Advising a bidding consortium in connection with the procurement for the Inglewood Transit Connector Project to design, construct, integrate, finance, operate and maintain a 1.6 mile automated transit system connecting the Inglewood sports and entertainment district with the Los Angeles Metro system.
- Advising the design-build team in connection with the pursuit of a major P3 toll lanes project on an approximately 16-mile stretch of SR 400 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- Advised ENGIE North America Inc. and its affiliate EQUANS as EPC and asset manager in connection with the Washington DC Street Lighting and Smart Cities P3 Project.
- Advised the rolling stock and signalling system member of the EPC contractor on its proposal for the C$4bn Ontario Line Rolling Stock, Systems, Operations and Maintenance P3 project in Toronto, Ontario.
The following is a sample of the P3 and other major transactions that Rhodri worked on prior to joining Norton Rose Fulbright:
- Lead advisor to the design-build joint venture on all aspects of its successful bid for the Purple Line Light Rail Replacement Design-Build Project, the first US P3 "rescue" project in which a new design-build contractor is selected to take over the design, construction and commissioning of a partly constructed light rail system while preserving the existing P3 contractual and financing framework.
- Lead advisor to the design-build joint venture on all aspects of its proposal for the HART Honolulu Rapid Transit P3 Project.
- Lead in-house advisor to a member of the design-build joint venture on its successful proposal for and execution of the award winning LAX Automated People Mover P3 Project.
- Lead in-house adviser to the lead member of the design-build joint venture on its proposal for the LAX Consolidated Rent-a-Car P3 Project.
- Lead advisor to the lead member of the design-build joint venture on its successful proposal for and execution of the SH288 Toll Lanes P3 Project in Houston, Texas.
- Lead in-house advisor to a member of the design-build joint venture on its proposal for the Central 70 P3 Project in Denver, Colorado.
- Lead in-house advisor to the lead member of the developer in connection with a project to develop, design, construct, operate, maintain and potentially finance the US 181 Harbor Bridge Replacement Project in Corpus Christi, Texas.
- Lead in-house adviser to the lead member of the design-build joint venture on its proposal for the Valley Line Light Rail Transit P3 Project in Edmonton, Alberta.
- Lead in-house adviser to a member of the design-build joint venture on its proposal for the South West Calgary Ring Road P3 Project in Calgary, Alberta.
- Advising the concessionaire on the Intercity Express Rolling Stock Procurement Program, the first UK rolling stock transaction to successfully utilize a P3 contractual model.
- Advising the concessionaire on the Nottingham Express Transit Phase 2 Light Rail P3 Project.
- Advising consortia on their bids for the P3 contracts for the E18 Highway in Finland, and a new highway in the republic of Srpska, Bosnia.
- Legal 500 US, Recommended Lawyer, Project Finance, The Legal 500, 2023