Stefan H. Reisinger
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
Stefan H. ReisingervCard
Related services and key industries
Stefan Reisinger has more than 15 years of experience advising clients on national security and international trade issues including export, economic sanctions, foreign investment, trade remedies (tariffs), customs and Foreign Agents Registration Act (FARA) matters. His practice covers all aspects of these areas, including counseling, training, licensing, opinion work, filings, compliance audits, internal investigations, responding to government enforcement actions, and developing and implementing relevant compliance policies and procedures. Stefan has led comprehensive, worldwide, investigations and audits and has significant experience advising on, and addressing, the national security implications of foreign investments in the United States, including related submissions to the Committee on Foreign Investments in the United States (CFIUS).
Stefan regularly handles compliance matters, enforcement actions, filings, investigations, and disclosures involving the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS), the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC), the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC), CFIUS and US Customs, and has significant familiarity with the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), OFAC trade sanctions, and CFIUS regulations. He frequently manages cross-border and multijurisdictional compliance matters with particular experience in Europe, the Middle East, and Asia.
Stefan's experience includes pre- and post- acquisition compliance due diligence, requests for export authorizations, commodity jurisdictions, classification determinations, CFIUS filings and mitigation agreements, tariff exemption requests, and drafting technical assistance and manufacturing license agreements. He also has experience with customs regulatory issues such as classification, valuation, origin determination, marking, preference programs, import restrictions, quotas, drawback, and trade agreements including the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).Stefan represents a diverse cross-section of clients that includes multinational Fortune 500 companies as well as small privately owned businesses, and individuals. His clients come from a wide variety of industries, including: oilfield services and supply, defense, aerospace, financial services, technology, manufacturing, insurance, and shipping.
JD, Fordham University School of Law, 2002
AB, with honors, Political Science & Psychology, Washington University in St. Louis, 1999
While in law school, Stefan was a Staff Member for the Fordham International Law Journal.
Stefan is licensed to practice in New York and the District of Columbia, as well as before the United States District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York and the United States Court of International Trade.
- District of Columbia Bar
- New York State Bar
- Conducted a multiyear, worldwide, export control and sanctions internal investigation and subsequent multiagency disclosure on behalf of international manufacturer of valves, seals, and pumps.
- Advised foreign purchaser of U.S. manufacturing company on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Represented a major international energy services company in a multi-jurisdictional and cross-border investigation concerning alleged corruption and breaches of international sanctions and export restrictions and involving multiple US regulators.
- Represented a major manufacturer of air conditioning and cooling products in a NAFTA origin dispute with the Mexican tax authorities.
- Conducted a worldwide export control, sanctions, and anticorruption risk assessment for an international cruise line.
- Advised domestic seller of national security related business on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Represented and defended individual executives of one of the largest international oil and natural gas service companies under investigation by US civil and criminal authorities for alleged violations of export controls, sanctions, and anti-bribery laws.
- Represented a distributor of electronic components in a major government export control investigation involving the export of several million items, and resulting in a favorable settlement with BIS.
- Advised U.S. bio-technology company on related CFIUS issues and filings.
- Advised a major multinational financial services provider on economic sanctions and export restrictions and assisted with its internal investigations and dealings with regulators.
- Advised a major defense company on US export control (including ITAR) and sanctions issues and conducted internal investigation into potential violations.
- Counseled one of the largest financial institutions in Africa on US sanctions.
- Represented a manufacturer of jewelry, and other types of, boxes in US Customs audit.
- Advised national universities on export control and sanctions compliance issues.
- Represented one of the world's largest offshore drilling contractors in various US government investigations of alleged violations of export control, sanctions, and anticorruption laws.
- Conducted pre-and post-acquisition export control, sanctions, and anti-bribery due diligence for one of the largest international oil and natural gas service companies.
- Conducted an investigation into, and subsequent multi-agency disclosure of, potential export control and sanctions violations by a leading global provider of managed communications services in Southeast Asia.
- Represented individual executives in an SEC investigation into possible fraudulent activities at an energy investment company.
- Represented a major manufacturer of engines and engine parts in a US Customs investigation into potential misclassified entries.
- E. Randolph Williams Award for Outstanding Pro-Bono Service
Stefan's most recent speaking engagements include:
- "Recent Developments in U.S. Tariffs and Sanctions," British American Business Council, Philadelphia, PA, October 23, 2018
- "Navigating Between U.S. Iran Sanctions and the E.U. Blocking Statute," Morgan Lewis & Bockius, October 24, 2018
- D.C. Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
Publication | July 2019
Publication | June 2019