A. Robert Colby
Norton Rose Fulbright US LLP
A. Robert ColbyvCard
Related services and key industries
Key industry sectors
Rob Colby is a member our corporate department, with over 25 years of experience representing both public and private entities in connection with acquisitions, dispositions, mergers, joint ventures, public offerings and private placements, and general corporate matters. Mr. Colby also regularly advises clients on corporate governance and securities law matters.
JD, Editor, New York University's Journal of International Law and Politics, New York University School of Law, 1982
BA, Phi Beta Kappa, Colgate University, 1977
- New York State Bar
- Represented North American Galvanizing and Coatings in its acquisition through a public tender offer and merger.
- Represented Arroyo Energy Investors LP, an affiliate of JP Morgan Chase & Co., in connection with Arroyo’s acquisition of Delta Power Company, LLC, a privately held owner and manager of power generation projects. Included in the acquisition were interests in 17 power projects with a total of 1,217 gross megawatts.
- Represented Fortune Brands in its US$2 billion registered sale of notes.
- Represented Fortune Brands, Inc. in the spin-off of its ACCO World Corporation office products unit and subsequent merger of ACCO with General Binding Corporation.
- Represented Fortune Brands, Inc. in the spin-off of its Gallaher subsidiary, which had a market value of US$3.1 billion.
- Represented El Paso Corporation and its merchant energy subsidiary in the acquisition of Ahlstrom Development Corporation, a holding company owning equity interests in five projects in California and Pennsylvania, and the sale of El Paso’s interest in CE Generation, LLC, a holding company owning equity interests in 13 projects in Arizona, California, New York and Texas.
- Represented Fortune Brands, Inc. in its acquisition of Cobra Golf for US$700 million.
- Represented El Paso and related entities Cedar Brakes I and Cedar Brakes II in Rule 144A offerings by the Cedar Brakes entities in excess of US$700 million of Senior Secured Bonds and the subsequent registered exchange offers for the Bonds.
- Represented American Brands, Inc. in the sale of The American Tobacco Company to B.A.T. Industries for US$1 billion.
- Represented the Gallaher Group in its acquisition of Liggett-Ducat, the leading cigarette manufacturer and distributor in Russia, for aggregate consideration of approximately US$400 million.
- Legal 500 USA, recommended lawyer, mergers and acquisitions, The Legal 500, 2012
- "SEC Issues Order for Partial Stay of Conflict Minerals Rules," Client Alert, May 2014
- "SEC Issues Guidance on Conflict Minerals Rules," Client Alert, April 2014
- "US Court of Appeals Issues Ruling in Conflict Minerals Case," Client alert, April 2014
- "SEC Proposes Rules Requiring Listing Standards Related To Compensation Committees and Compensation Consultants," Client alert, April 2011
- "Dodd-Frank Act: Executive Compensation and Corporate Governance Provisions," Client alert, August 2010
- "SEC Issues Concept Release Seeking Comment on US Proxy System," Client alert, July 2010
- "SEC Proposes Rule Amendments Facilitating Shareholder Proxy Access," May 2009
- "Certain Shelf Registration Statements Will Expire Beginning December 1, 2008," Client alert, July 2008
- "Reminder: New Form 8-K Requirements Take Effect August 23, 2004," Client alert, June 2004
- Project Finance NewsWire, June 2003
- "SEC to Adopt Rules to Implement Section 16 Amendments," Client alert, August 2002
- "Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 Amends Securities Laws to Crack Down on Corporate Fraud," Client alert, July 2002
- Member: American Bar Association, Section on Corporation, Banking and Business Law
- Chair: Firm's professional staff committee, 2007 – 2010