Related services and key industries
Victor J. Domen, Jr., a government antitrust investigations and prosecutions lawyer, is a partner in the Washington, DC office. As a former enforcer himself, Vic has a unique perspective into the priorities of government agencies as well as the challenges clients may encounter.
Regarded as a top-three US antitrust enforcer, Vic previously worked for the Tennessee Attorney General's Office, where he served as its senior antitrust counsel. For nearly 20 years, Vic was the lead lawyer in the investigation and prosecution of federal and state antitrust matters brought on behalf of the State of Tennessee.
As the immediate past chair of the National Association of Attorneys General (NAAG) Multistate Antitrust Task Force, Vic organized and often led the antitrust investigation and litigation efforts of state attorneys general. He coordinated antitrust enforcement efforts with officials at the Antitrust Division of the US Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and international antitrust enforcement agencies.
Vic has reviewed and investigated hundreds of nonprofit mergers, dissolutions and sales of assets with a special focus on hospital and healthcare transactions.
In addition, Vic has extensive experience in the nonprofit sector. He has reviewed and investigated hundreds of nonprofit mergers, dissolutions and sales of assets with a special focus on hospital and healthcare transactions, including Tennessee's granting of a Certificate of Public Advantage (COPA) to Ballad Health. He was also a key drafter of Tennessee's current Nonprofit Act (2015) governing the activities of nonprofit entities in the state.
Vic is admitted to Practice in all Tennessee State Courts, the U.S. Supreme Court, U.S. Courts of Appeal for the Sixth Circuit and DC Circuit, U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Tennessee and the District of Columbia.
Vic is not licensed in the District of Columbia. His application for admission to the DC bar is pending, and he is practicing under the direct supervision of an enrolled, active member of the DC bar who takes responsibility for the quality of his work.
JD, Rutgers University School of Law, 1992
BA in Economics, Vanderbilt University, 1989
- Tennessee State Bar
Vic spearheaded and edited the ABA Antitrust Section's recently published Third Edition of the State Antitrust Enforcement Handbook (2018) and served on the Editorial Board of the ABA Antitrust Section's Antitrust Law Developments Update (2017).
Vic frequently speaks to groups regarding state and federal antitrust laws and the Tennessee Nonprofit Act. These groups include the ABA and AHLA, nonprofit boards and employees, students at the University of Tennessee College of Law (Knoxville), the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga School of Nonprofit Management, Middle Tennessee State University and Belmont University and School of Law. In addition, Vic speaks to groups regarding government investigations, bribery and extortion.
- ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting: Enforcers Roundtable (2016, 2017, 2018) Annually with DOJ AAG for Antitrust, FTC Chairman, EC's Commissioner for Competition and alternating Chief Executive of Competition & Markets (Britain), Commissioner of the Competition Bureau of Canada or President of COFECE (Mexico)
- "View from the Enforcers" ABA/AHLA Antitrust in Healthcare Conference, 2018
- "Key Antitrust Issues, Best Practices, Developments and Trends in Healthcare Provider Mergers," AHLA Annual Meeting, 2018
- "Federalist Society: Antitrust Enforcement by State Attorneys General: Filling a Void or Overreaching?" 2018
- "Tennessee Procurement Officials: Understanding, Detecting and Reporting Antitrust Violations," Jointly with the DOJ Antitrust Division, 2016
- Speaker and Moderator, "Briefing With The State Enforcers," ABA Section of Antitrust Law Spring Meeting, 2013-2015 and upcoming 2019
- "IP Theft: Approaches to Prevention," CLE Webinar, Corporate Counsel, 2014
- "Antitrust Merger Enforcement," Belmont University, Nashville, TN and Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, TN, 2009 and 2014
- "How We Investigated a Bid Rig," National Association of Attorneys General, Centennial Symposium on State Antitrust Enforcement, St. Louis, MO, 2007
- "Bribery and Extortion: What to Know and What to Avoid," Office-sponsored programs to groups including the Tennessee Lobbyists Association, 2006
- "Tennessee Nonprofit Act Enforcement," University of Tennessee College of Law, University of Tennessee at Chattanooga School of Nonprofit Management, Waller Lansden Nonprofit Seminar, Annual
- Co-Chair of the ABA Antitrust Section's 2019 Consumer Protection Conference
- Member and Chair of the Antitrust Task Force of the National Association of Attorneys General, 2015-2018
- Member of the ABA Antitrust Section Leadership including a term on the Leadership Council, 2015-2018
- Member of the Tennessee Bar Association
Publication | May 2019
Publication | April 2019
Publication | February 2019