Our South African practice has been recognised by Best Lawyers for their remarkable contribution to the local legal industry.
The Insurance Law team scooped top spot for Law Firm of the year while our Chairman, Andrew Robinson received top honours for Maritime Law.
Best lawyers went on to name the top performing legal minds within the various available practice areas, as follows:
- Arbitration and Mediation: Michael Hart and Jeffrey Kron
- Banking & Finance: Jackie Midlane
- Construction: Tony Chappel, Michael Hart and Gary Rademeyer
- Corporate: Michael Hart, Gary Rademeyer and Marelise van der Westhuizen
- Energy: Marelise van der Westhuizen
- Insurance: Patrick Bracher, Tony Chappel, Michael Hart, Jeffrey Kron, Craig Woolley
- IP: Likonelo Magagula
- Labour and Employment: Karen Ainslie, Murray Alexander and Mohammed Chavoos
- Litigation: Anton Schelhase, Tony Chappel, Michael Hart, Andrew Strachan, Rebecca Thomson and Craig Woolley
- Maritime: Malcolm Hartwell and Andrew Robinson
- M&A: Alastair Dixon and Marelise van der Westhuizen
- Mining: Prof. Dr. Michael Dale
- Professional Malpractice Litigation: Tony Chappel
- Real Estate: Pieter Niehaus
Recognition by Best Lawyers is based entirely on peer review. Their methodology is designed to capture, as accurately as possible, the consensus opinion of leading lawyers about the professional abilities of their colleagues within the same geographical area and legal practice area.
Lawyer of the Year - Additional recognitions are also awarded to individual lawyers with the highest overall peer-feedback for a specific practice area and geographic region. Only one lawyer is recognised as the "Lawyer of the Year" for each specialty and location.
Law Firm of the Year - Best Lawyers has launched a new firm award in select markets, titled "Law Firm of the Year." These awards are country and practice area specific. They are determined based on a handful of factors, including: feedback from lawyers recognized by Best Lawyers on individual lawyer and firm-wide work, the size and coverage of the firm in a specific practice area, historical analysis of the firm’s “Lawyer of the Year” awards in this area, and research surrounding the firm’s overall scope and areas of expertise.